TFA ARMOR- Suiting Up By Yourself...Is it possible

Jayben Kenobi

Hello fellow Star Wars enthusiasts. I am about to start on an Anovos TFA Trooper and I was curious to know if anyone has a thread on how to build the armor to suit up by yourself. I've seen the magnet thread for the shins and such but I wan't sure if someone here took that a step further with the rest of their build. Also I was curious if magnets are fully reliable without using Velcro.  

I hope to be joining the ranks of the proud 501st very soon and I want my build to allow my suit up process to be as self manageable as possible. Thanks!  :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

Edited by Jayben Kenobi

Hello fellow Star Wars enthusiasts. I am about to start on an Anovos TFA Trooper and I was curious to know if anyone has a thread on how to build the armor to suit up by yourself. I've seen the magnet thread for the shins and such but I wan't sure if someone here took that a step further with the rest of their build. Also I was curious if magnets are fully reliable without using Velcro.  

I hope to be joining the ranks of the proud 501st very soon and I want my build to allow my suit up process to be as self manageable as possible. Thanks!  :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

Hey Josh, personally speaking if built correctly it should feel relatively comfortable when wearing but I'm not sure it's possible to fully suit up by yourself and still have the armor look uniform. I'm sure it's possible but it was impossible for me and I'm pretty limber. 

Hey Josh, personally speaking if built correctly it should feel relatively comfortable when wearing but I'm not sure it's possible to fully suit up by yourself and still have the armor look uniform. I'm sure it's possible but it was impossible for me and I'm pretty limber. 

Thanks ukswrath. I appreciate the feedback. 

Even with upgraded gaskets and such, I personally don't know of a single TFA trooper that can suit up unassisted. I'm also not sure what advantage using rare earth magnets will provide you over Velcro to, say for instance, close the shins.

Once I'm in kit it's relatively comfortable and I can certainly get out of it by myself if I need to. But getting into it (at least without looking like I got dressed in the dark) is pretty much out of the question.

• Like 1

I have built mine so i can suit up without help. I also put on the armor while sitting down. Here is my list that I use. (no magnets needed, fits uniform. I suited up took my own pics and got approved without help)

1. Turn on electronics

2. Attach TD to back via velcro, Attach shoulders to yoke, Bicep to shoulders

3. Put on under suit, gaskets, neck-seal, mask

4. Slip on midsection(midsection is all one piece) + butt plate connected, COD hanging(not attached)

5. Thighs & underbelt

(Sitdown if you want for 6-7)

6. Shoes

7. Shins & spats

8. Attach COD piece

9. Yoke

10. Chest

11. Slide on biceps

12. Forearm

13. Gloves

14. Helmet

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I can suit up myself just takes a little longer, but I do find it easier with an extra hand.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about having to suit up without needing help, Josh.  When getting ready during a troop, there is always someone nearby who will be more than happy to lend a hand!

I know a few TK's that can suit up themselves. But, yes.. always easier with an extra hand. The way my TK is built, I can tell you that I always will need assistance, but it feels comfortable (as it will be) once I am all together. I know other troopers that used only Velcro vs the snaps.. but I always will recommend the snaps due to it being a reliable strapping system ;)

• Like 1

I have built mine so i can suit up without help. I also put on the armor while sitting down. Here is my list that I use. (no magnets needed, fits uniform. I suited up took my own pics and got approved without help)

1. Turn on electronics

2. Attach TD to back via velcro, Attach shoulders to yoke, Bicep to shoulders

3. Put on under suit, gaskets, neck-seal, mask

4. Slip on midsection(midsection is all one piece) + butt plate connected, COD hanging(not attached)

5. Thighs & underbelt

(Sitdown if you want for 6-7)

6. Shoes

7. Shins & spats

8. Attach COD piece

9. Yoke

10. Chest

11. Slide on biceps

12. Forearm

13. Gloves

14. Helmet

I can suit up myself just takes a little longer, but I do find it easier with an extra hand.

:icon_bow:

Look here too; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35680-howto-magnetic-plug-and-socket-no-more-velcro/?hl=%2Bplug+%2Band+%2Bsocket

I modded Daetrin's kit so he can suit up by himself in under 5.

I've heard tell of others that followed my method but claimed it did not work. It does work if you do it right. 

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 6:12 AM, TK4205 said:

Look here too; http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35680-howto-magnetic-plug-and-socket-no-more-velcro/?hl=%2Bplug+%2Band+%2Bsocket

I modded Daetrin's kit so he can suit up by himself in under 5.

I've heard tell of others that followed my method but claimed it did not work. It does work if you do it right. 

-------------------

As much as I respect Paul and his build I have to disagree with you on a simple fact. If you use the rubber gaskets and assemble the entire armor correctly (very close to canon) then it's virtually impossible to get dressed by yourself, hence the reason you see the actors and stuntmen being dressed by others. 

Edited by gmrhodes13

As much as I respect Paul and his build I have to disagree with you on a simple fact. If you use the rubber gaskets and assemble the entire armor correctly (very close to canon) then it's virtually impossible to get dressed by yourself, hence the reason you see the actors and stuntmen being dressed by others. 

LOL! Everybody in the movie gets help getting in costume. I can still respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with you, which I don't. 

LOL! Everybody in the movie gets help getting in costume. I can still respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with you, which I don't.

Do you only use magnets from Home Depot or have you found a source where you can get more with the same strength and durability for a better price?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Do you only use magnets from Home Depot or have you found a source where you can get more with the same strength and durability for a better price?

I've been going with the Home Depot magnets. They are easy to find and the quality is good. I've ordered magnets from various vendors, but always go back to SuperMagtets from Home Depot. They seem to be less brittle and have a stronger polarity.

It makes sense that 501st troopers would seek out easier, comfortable ways to suit up. Unlike the movie troopers, we are suiting up each weekend for hours at a time.

Regardless of what you do to the inside of your kit, you can still be considered canon. Some people paint or coat the inside of their bucket. This makes you no less canon than the trooper that doesn't. Some people strap differently than they did in the movie; Again, no rule against it.

• Like 1

If one person did it, it can be done. Even for the OT TK's, I hear all the time "You can't sit down", but I and dozens of others have done it time and time again. Heck, I used to be able to put my entire sandtrooper on including pauldron and pack unassisted in about 5 minutes.

I'm not saying I'm as fast as an OT TK, still...I would agree with those who claim that is it possible to do unaided if built correctly, as the magnets are truly a life saver.

You can sit down in your armor? Wow, that some strategy building right there lol. Awesome!

Not just me. When I was at the Rose Parade in 2007 with almost 200 other troopers, on the way to the main event everyone was standing on the bus. After the several mile walk, everyone was sitting. We also sat at the park tables consuming our 2 In & Out burgers they gave us. When you really need to, I can assure you, you can sit.

Not just me. When I was at the Rose Parade in 2007 with almost 200 other troopers, on the way to the main event everyone was standing on the bus. After the several mile walk, everyone was sitting. We also sat at the park tables consuming our 2 In & Out burgers they gave us. When you really need to, I can assure you, you can sit.

That's awesome. Do you have any pics showing the strap set up that makes that possible?

Do you have any pics of how you achieved being able to sit down?

Alas I didn't have a camera at the time. I just unsnapped my thighs, rotated them a bit so they didn't dig in to my body. And yes, I've taken taxi rides in my TK too. The thighs truly - for me at least - are the hardest part.

I can sit down in every type of armor I own, I'm limber and yet I still can't completely dress myself in the FOTK with rubber gaskets without looking like I just got off a wrestling mat. Some can do it some can't, that's all I'm saying. 

I can sit down in every type of armor I own, I'm limber and yet I still can't completely dress myself in the FOTK with rubber gaskets without looking like I just got off a wrestling mat. Some can do it some can't, that's all I'm saying. 

It just takes practice. Hang in there and keep trying!