Tube stripe paint help!

Chrelle

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around these forums for a while, but only just signed up. I've been following all your fantastic tutorials to assemble my own TK helmet from RS prop masters. All went well with the assembly and painting process, until it came to painting the tube stripes. I accidentally grabbed my Midnight Blue Humbrol instead of my French Blue paint - not realizing my error, I happily painted away. I am using tube stripe masking templates from Trooperbay, which are working great. 

My question is: What should I do now? Leave on the template until it dries, and paint it over with French Blue? Peel everything off and remove the entire tube stripe paint job with paint thinner?

Here is a picture of my current predicament:

IMG_2637.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Christan R. from Denmark

This is what I would do at this point, Christian...  Try one side with the French blue, and see if it works.  If not, you will need to remove the paint and start again, unfortunately.  A couple of things, though...

Many paint removers/thinners are made with Acetone.  Be SURE you get one without Acetone, as it will melt the ABS.  Whatever product you choose, try a small amount on the inside of your bucket or a scrap piece of ABS first to see if it damages the surface.

Another hint:  After applying the template next time, press the edges down really well and hit it with a light coat of gloss white paint, and let that dry for about 5 minutes or so.  The reason for doing this is that it will seal the edges so that the blue doesn't bleed out, and it will give you clean, crisp lines.  Remove the template as soon as the blue paint is fairly dry.  Do not leave it on for too long, or the paint can make it stick to the bucket.

• Like 1

The chances are that the paint will have bled under the template.  So really you're starting over, clean off with thinners and start afresh.

However It might be worth trying a top coat in french blue and seeing what happens.  Worst case it's out with the thinners and you're no worse off.

The Humbrol brand thinners is safe on ABS too which is handy, and it also works pretty well.

If you have to start over you can seal the template with either a clear varnish or white.  This will bleed and seel the template and mean the blue can't resulting in less clean up.

It's been about 1,5 hours since I applied the Midnight blue paint - should I let it cure completely before I try the french blue top coat? Or should I try hitting it with the french blue now and remove the templates ASAP so they don't stick to the bucket?

Also, I figure I can remove any bleeds of midnight blue with a toothpick and some paint thinner, after I've applied the french blue? Fortunately, I've acquired a paint thinner that is ABS-safe :)

Sorry for all the questions, it's my first time doing this and I'm a little bit freaked out :P

-Christian

Edited by Chrelle

It's been about 1,5 hours since I applied the Midnight blue paint - should I let it cure completely before I try the french blue top coat? Or should I try hitting it with the french blue now and remove the templates ASAP so they don't stick to the bucket?

Sorry for all the questions, it's my first time doing this and I'm a little bit freaked out :P

-Christian

When I did my stripes I left 3-4 hours between coats.  I think that's what the tin said anyway.  Took 3 coats and I did a 4th out of paranoia.

Ok, so my plan is:

-Wait an hour and a half

-apply french blue coat on top of midnight blue

-remove template as soon as french blue is fairly dry

-let paint cure completely

-clean up any bleeds with paint thinner and a toothpick

-remember amazing trick about first applying white or clear paint to seal edges for next time I paint a helmet :P

Does this sound okay to you guys?

And, thank you for your swift replies by the way - they are much appreciated :)

-Christian

• Like 1

It's going to bleed under from the first coat anyway. If you have spare templates I'd remove everything, wash clean with mineral spirits , dry. Reapply templates, press into place, paint a coat of white and let dry. Then the correct blue a few coats after really stirring the blue paint well.

If you don't have spare templates I'd just paint the right blue on top, let dry overnight, then remove all the masking and start cleaning with toothpicks and mineral spirits.

Here is a good tip http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23204-tip-on-tube-stripe-painting-with-no-bleed-through/?hl=bleed

Paint white first and it fills in any bleed areas, then paint blue over the top

• Like 1