Thermal Detonator? so Confused

FN-3181

Correct me if I am wrong ,but is not THIS post-28904-0-07282400-1464652547_thumb.jpg a Thermal Detonator? Why then do y'all people call THISpost-28904-0-07936200-1464653011_thumb.jpg a Thermal Detonator? I do believe that i read somewhere on the CLR that this was an oxygen canister ,and I believe it was referring to the theoretical function of this device as opposed to the prop construction. I am sure that such a group of the Elitest of the Elite Star Wars fans couldn't ALL have overlooked this ,but i have not seen anything anywhere that clears this up. As a major Star Wars "Nut" myself I am actually pretty surprised at this. *not sure what is going on with the attachments any advice on that is welcome as well

post-28904-0-23065200-1464652675_thumb.jpg

Thermal DetArmor.htm

Edited by FN-3181

This has been discussed many times here. To be honest, there is no official name for it. Some call it an O2 canister, some a TD. It really doesn't matter. :) Also, not all thermal detonators have to look like the one posted.

Stormtrooper TD's are not specifically mentioned by name in the original trilogy, but that is what they are. Thermal detonators (the round ones) are however mentioned by name in the movie(s), so we have to call it that. Just geeky specifics to be honest

In Star Wars battlefront Version 1 and 2 we see troopers reaching back to throw up to 5 before needing to reload.

here is a direct explanationn in wookiepedia.  Baradium Thermal Detonator

Another reason why knowing the facts behind the armor pays off!

• Like 2

Was just watching Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon (S2E21)and in one scene the TD was taken off and exploded in a shaft. So it at least can detonate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow super cool! I read that link ,bondservnt, and that clears up everything except where the O2 tank idea came from. Any explanation?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

To have O2 in space? Haha. ;)

On 5/31/2016 at 10:13 AM, TK bondservnt said:

You make this too easy!

Space backback  toy

-------------

any more?

Oh I know about this! There is just no true reason. It just looks cool on a Stormtrooper. ;)

Cheers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

@TK if you read the link bondservnt supplied you would see that TD had a baradium core so no O2. And what is with the pick servnt ?

I know. :) Why people call it O2 canister? Who knows? How are Stormtroopers taken down by Ewoks? Who knows? :) Good movies, cool armor. That's about it. No true deep lore about things.

while it's true that variations exist.  The game system, and the film itself shows the deep lore you speak of.

The whole O2 thing came about when people were guessing.

Ahh the heart of the matter misinformation! And at the risk of completely derailing this thread, are you familiar with the troopers CAN aim, but miss on purpose theory? Well the reason that is improbable is the quote from the tk "set for stun". Whats the point of missing if you can stun them. Thanks for the info on the related topic btw

Ahh the heart of the matter misinformation! And at the risk of completely derailing this thread, are you familiar with the troopers CAN aim, but miss on purpose theory? Well the reason that is improbable is the quote from the tk "set for stun". Whats the point of missing if you can stun them. Thanks for the info on the related topic btw

Vader ordered the entire station to allow the prisoners to escape to allow the homing beacon to function.  In fact the homing beacon was still aboard during EP VII

if you stun them... you can't follow them to the rebel base.

Tarkin:  Are you sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship?

w5MHii8.jpg

Edited by TK bondservnt
  • Like 1

Game mechanics like Battlefront 1 and 2 are hardly anything to go from. They used the same model for a thermal det in those games as Leia had in ROTJ. Same goes for EA's Battlefront. Heck EA's Battlefront uses Han's droid caller as an ion grenade.  So yeah some liberties have been taken. Only Star Wars Galaxies used the actual canister as a thrown explosive device. The Stormtrooper thermal det first appeared in the old Visual Guide book, where they basically spun a bottle and picked names out of a hat to make the book more interesting. It ballooned after that. I had read somewhere, many years ago in my youth that the tank was based on an old gas mask canister.  Also that Clone Wars episode where the clone's canisters blow up, sure we can assume they are thermal dets but they could have just as easily been an o2 tank. They were thrown down a turbo lift that was on fire. The fire could of set them off.

But none of that matters now since in the new canon, Star Wars Rebels has confirmed them to be N-20 Baradium-core thermal detonators. Which makes zero sense, seeing as how they were never used on screen as an explosive device. But that's what they are now officially.

The difference i believe between the sphere TD and the TK TD is according to the aforementioned link the code control. So the Baradium-core is like real C4 but if it was LOX (liquid oxygen) filled as opposed to baradium it could theoretically serve BOTH purposes. But this is all hypothetical because SW Rebels is now canon.

i was just "discussing" this with a few of my friends yesterday with many beers. However i did not do to well on the discussion over why the ewoks won, time for a rematch thanks TK for the info

They won for the same reason Charlemagne lost in the Philippines. Take heavily armoured soldiers with crap visibility into a forest / jungle and let the native population who are familiar with every rock and tree and and can get in under the soldiers line of sight, have no high tech to show on scanners, have thousands of hands willing to set traps....and soldiers die.

Charlemagne was beaten back and defeated by, to him, tiny people with sticks, stones, and.knives. who ended up teaching jason bourne how to fight :-).

Troop a massive kids party. When they swarm and you cant see any of them running around your feet, understand how the ewoks won you will. Im sure vader would have bombarded from orbit but wanted luke alive.

• Like 1

Grenades can look a lot of different ways.

And no, it's not any O2 thingy. R2-D2 uses a clonetrooper version to blow up some stuff in an episode of the clone wars. That makes it canon that it's a grenade (thermal detonator).

Interesting thread. Before my interest piqued in joining the 501st, I always wondered what this piece was also. It looks like a smaller version the WWII German gas mask containers so I always figured it had something to do with the breathing system but I like that it's a TD better. :)