Where to get cheap armor

hayhay7789

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, but this is my first post here. :P

I'm a recently reborn Star Wars fan totally in love with the series all over again since seeing TFA. I'm in the process of preparing for production of a fan film set shortly after TFA, and I need to pick up some Stormtrooper armor for the extras, maybe 10 or 20 sets of armor. I need to conserve as much costs as possible though since I am an independent filmmaker who doesn't really have much of a budget at all. I'm just looking for something that doesn't cost a ton of money like Anovos stuff. I love their armor, I'll probably end up buying my own TFA trooper when that's released for preorder, but I can't afford to spend multiple thousands of dollars on just costuming a small group of people. It doesn't need to be incredibly super freakin' accurate, it's fine if the minute details are missing, it just needs to look like a FO stormtrooper on screen.

You are looking for 10-20 sets of first order stormtrooper gear?

Wow.

So far there are two sources for TFA armor: Anovos (they don't sell to the public, yet) and a member from the Philipines.

Both are way beyond the 1000$ mark.

The only solution for you would be to get Halloween costumes or to only film talking heads, because the helmets only are cheaper to come by.

But please keep us updated. I am very interested in your solution.

• Like 3

The cheapest way would be to make some formers yourself and buy a used vac forming machine .

Making a fan film with little or no budget isn't going to work if you need twenty grands worth of props.

One suit of armor, two helmets and creative editing could work like bone said ,but let's be fair , if you hadn't worked that out yourself , and presumably you hadn't , and you aren't sure if you need ten or twenty , maybe you need a bit more forward planning before you commit your finances to a project of this magnitude .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Rob .T .
  • Like 1

The Philippines member you're talking about sells 1 set for about $880+ without shipping which would run over $100 if shipping out of the Philippines.

Waiting list is over 100 people at the moment with about 30 people per month on a run.

A set of 10 might run you over $9500~ish with months of wait time and weeks of assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The reality of this hobby is that cheap armor =/= film-quality armor, especially when it comes to First Order stormtrooper gear. Even the baseline Anovos injection-molded plastic helmet will set you back about $300 a copy once you include taxes and shipping.

Cheap or (relatively) good - you'll have to choose one or the other.

• Like 2

Brian nailed it.  There is cheap, or there is good.

Your best bet is (in my opinion) to reach out to your local Garrison of the 501st, and see if there are members who have the armor who are willing to support your project.  It is highly unlikely that you'll find the numbers that you're looking for in most Garrisons at this point in time yet, as there are only about 140 of them approved world-wide in the Legion's 80+ units.  

Where are you located?

• Like 2

Most were CGI. huh? Wonder what they made all those suits for, then...

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Just use CGI. Most of the troopers on screen are cg anyway. Or, wait twenty years.

First of, you're obviously talking a lot of BS with that statement. Secondly CGI aren't cheaper than actual props.

First of, you're obviously talking a lot of BS with that statement. Secondly CGI aren't cheaper than actual props.

Really? Big scene with field of troopers are actually guys in suits? Awesome. Where did they store ten thousand suits of tk armor?. Oh, right, on that hard drive.

I was poking fun at the notion that he thinks somebody makes any costume armour cheap and in bulk. It took years for them to be widely available after starwars.

Really? Big scene with field of troopers are actually guys in suits? Awesome. Where did they store ten thousand suits of tk armor?. Oh, right, on that hard drive.

I was poking fun at the notion that he thinks somebody makes any costume armour cheap and in bulk. It took years for them to be widely available after starwars.

Very easy. Just like they did for ROTJ. You take 50 guys that you line up, capture them several times, patch all the shots together into one. Oooold cinema trick...

So you're using once specific scene to say it was all CGI?

Yes, good CGI is very expensive. Bad CGI less expensive.

I said most. Not all. If the guy wants to fanfilm a platoon level movie of close ups...he needs twenty suits but could do it with five change weathering all day.

Those suits are from the close ups. A lot of real stunt guys on screen yes. Wait for the making of and behind the scenes shots on the blurays.