welshchris77's Anovos build

Ok so got all my parts pre trimmed and have been test fitting the thighs and shins, I have heard that Anovos may have got the numbers mixed up on the shin parts, I seem to have got mine lined up fairly good but not sure if the 'look right',

Any input would be appreciated.

I think I may have got a bit tight at the ankle  :huh:

Something I might have to fix!

Im 6'1" tall by the way 

DSC_0187_zpsuqbb9xq5.jpg

DSC_0188_zpstva0duwx.jpg

DSC_0190_zpsp8wuqlrj.jpg

DSC_0192_zpsmmz8vbax.jpg

DSC_0194_zpswcj99amh.jpg

DSC_0195_zpswh0rvfr6.jpg

DSC_0196_zpssotb05fb.jpg

DSC_0197_zpsxyflclre.jpg

DSC_0198_zpspg44zq8f.jpg

DSC_0200_zpshsgduwpc.jpg

Wow, I didn't know the left thigh would end up having that much of a narrow taper at the top. 

Do you mean at the top front edge of the left thigh where the two pieces join?

Its looks very different from the right thigh, not sure if its just my kit or they are all like this.

Maybe the cover strip will make it look different when its on.

Well...if you can leave like 5mm space covered by cover strips it'll expand them a little...

Thanks Mark, yes I have done this and actually gained an extra 10mm, disaster averted  :P

Pretty much finished the left forearm today, tidied up the edges by cutting a small strip of abs, glueing it inside with home made abs paste and dabbing it onto the outside with a toothpick then sanding when dried for strength, got some novus 1-2-3 polish on order for any scratches and areas that need to be polished too.

DSC_0210_zpsfjzgzaqu.jpg

DSC_0209_zps5bq2n0at.jpg

DSC_0208_zpsre8km75s.jpg

DSC_0213_zpshstw2cbv.jpg

DSC_0214_zpsqh5ma9s0.jpg

DSC_0216_zps5hpk30jd.jpg

DSC_0217_zpsilzf9ba2.jpg

DSC_0219_zpsmjhojq3p.jpg

DSC_0220_zpswno5elor.jpg

DSC_0221_zps76dqv2ip.jpg

DSC_0222_zpsxmqn9og9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Test fitting the Torso

Ab and chest plate are fitting well, not much of an overlap but enough to get by, also looks like I won't have shim either, giving up cakes, sweets and beer has really paid off!.

Being 6'1 I seem to be having the same trouble as other 'tall' troopers with a huge gap between my kidney plate and back plate.

To remedy this I have given the upper sections of the back a good old 'hot water bath' to take away that sharp bend and gain me a few inches which seems to have sorted the problem  :duim:

3_zpsmb7mmwsi.jpg

2_zpsymsrids8.jpg

1_zpswt5ojczp.jpg

5_zpsxvfduaa8.jpg

7_zpsmudbkqwr.jpg

8_zps1qmwi5bd.jpg

9_zps7v1owu02.jpg

And the before and after pics!

10_zpsml3v8fmw.jpg

11_zps5ixzwz5o.jpg

12_zpstbb98zjf.jpg

13_zpsmmigdvgp.jpg

Made a huge difference!

14_zpspyhkxybp.jpg

15_zpsojqztzzh.jpg

16_zpsdoqsbccr.jpg

17_zpsxjut0pg0.jpg

• Like 1

Took two 'hot water baths' by the way to achieve the shape I needed!

oh yeah and the socks and sandals are not imperial issue either by the way  :D

Well done! My effort to do the same was not quite as effective. The f$%*ing return edge split so I'm going to have to reinforce it somehow.

3 steps forward, 2 steps back...

Well done! My effort to do the same was not quite as effective. The f$%*ing return edge split so I'm going to have to reinforce it somehow.

3 steps forward, 2 steps back...

reinforce your return edges with some small strips of abs but don't use E6000, use abs paste as glue and hold it for a few minutes or clamp for more permanence and also if you need to re-heat it again.

• Like 1

Nice modding! Makes a huge difference. How long do you put it in the hot water before bending it? I think I have to mod my butt plate too, it's a bit wide for me.

Thanks, as the plastic is reasonably thick in this area it can take quite a lot of heat to re-form it, I had the pan on the smallest ring on my hob so the heat wouldn't rise up the sides to damage the piece, I kept the water permanently boiling and left it in for 2-3 minutes or as long as is needed to get the plastic really hot, I did it twice to get the shape I wanted, the plastic was hot to touch when bending but not so hot that I couldn't tolerate it for a few seconds, you can use gloves but I prefer not to as I can 'feel' the piece better, it cools quick, I also had the cold tap running in the sink and one I got the shape quickly held it under the cold water but still applying pressure so it wouldn't 'spring' back to its original shape, once its cold it will stay put!

• Like 1

Nice modding! Makes a huge difference. How long do you put it in the hot water before bending it? I think I have to mod my butt plate too, it's a bit wide for me.

Be careful with the butt plate if using hot water as it is a lot thinner than other pieces!

Got the Snipper knee plate and ammo pack done over the last few days also, does anyone know if the ammo pack on the thigh is meant to be angled slightly up? it looks like this on some armor, not sure what the verdict is on this  :blink:

18_zpsvuert7lq.jpg

19_zpsuvzg0sdh.jpg

20_zpsbwrmex1b.jpg

21_zpse26gypbs.jpg

22_zpsbyu6bfzg.jpg

23_zpsvz5riedi.jpg

24_zps5yzpa9nx.jpg

And here is the ammo pack position I mentioned

Straight:-

25_zpsjtmlphol.jpg

Or angled up ?:-

26_zpsu7qfplgf.jpg

Straight:-

28_zps84taglt3.jpg

Or up?:-

27_zpso2j4ystd.jpg

29_zps75svllrb.jpg

30_zpsfxqli9on.jpg

31_zpsktbf2fnr.jpg

32_zpsd9fqsyb4.jpg

33_zps0g5z9f9t.jpg

Thermal detonator completed also, didn't have any of the correct shape screws and couldn't be bothered to mail away for them so got some 'hex' head bolts, ground and sanded them down and added a 'slot' with a dremel cutting wheel.

Bolted them from the inside with flat waters, sprung washers and nuts.

I know some have shortened the length of their TD's and I didn't but could always pop of the caps at a latter date and sand the ends down a bit if needed  :)

34_zpstw4nwhkx.jpg

35_zpsopglhgcd.jpg

36_zpsvpoulp0m.jpg

38_zpskx7qjtm4.jpg

Edited by welshchris77
  • Like 1

On my thigh ammo pack I have it more or less straight so that there is some space between the bottom of the cover strip and the ammo pack. But I've also seen pictures of the ammo pack angled up slightly so there is no gap between it and the cover strip. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way in this case.

I'm going to follow your lead on the back plate with the water bath - I'm 6'0" and have a small gap between the back and kidney, and the tops of the back are not comfortable as they are now.

• Like 1

Ukswrath just did the thigh ammo pack in his thread. On his, he angled it up slightly (like the screen-used armor photos he also posted).

I angled mine up so it ends right at the bottom of the cover strip, and none of the "ridge" part is showing.

The only issue with cutting down your TD later is you'll have to drill new holes, too, since the metal straps are right against the end caps and will be forced to move once you cut it down.

Not sure I follow about hex head bolts... did you actually round off a hexagonal bolt?!? Got a before pic? Cuz that's niiiice work, if you did that by hand.

Edited by kman

Be careful with the butt plate if using hot water as it is a lot thinner than other pieces!

Thanks for the advice. I'll test the hot water method with some scrap abs first. Ukswrath has posted his ammo pack installation. He has it close to the cover strip. I think I would prefer that too.

On my thigh ammo pack I have it more or less straight so that there is some space between the bottom of the cover strip and the ammo pack. But I've also seen pictures of the ammo pack angled up slightly so there is no gap between it and the cover strip. Not sure if there is a right or wrong way in this case.

I'm going to follow your lead on the back plate with the water bath - I'm 6'0" and have a small gap between the back and kidney, and the tops of the back are not comfortable as they are now.

From a distance 'straight' looks better I think, but angled looks better closeup when its touching the cover strip, I want to put a small dap of E6000 under it to stop it slipping down when trooping but will leave it for now as I'm undecided.

Be careful with the hot water bath you don't split the return edge, I think mine didn't split because I got the plastic very hot before trying to bend it and also because I could 'feel' it better without gloves and didn't push it against any hard surfaces but be warned it will be 'hot'!, I didn't burn myself though, just use caution or do as ukwrath has mentioned and trim/tapper the return edge before you begin  :duim:

Ukswrath just did the thigh ammo pack in his thread. On his, he angled it up slightly (like the screen-used armor photos he also posted).

I angled mine up so it ends right at the bottom of the cover strip, and none of the "ridge" part is showing.

The only issue with cutting down your TD later is you'll have to drill new holes, too, since the metal straps are right against the end caps and will be forced to move once you cut it down.

Not sure I follow about hex head bolts... did you actually round off a hexagonal bolt?!? Got a before pic? Cuz that's niiiice work, if you did that by hand.

I will check out how ukwrath did it but I think 'angled' is possibly more screen accurate.

I realize I would need to drill new holes for the TD if I cut it down but they would be hidden by the bracket so thats not a problem, only I would know they are there  :rolleyes:

Yes I rounded off a hexagonal bolt by the way, its actually quite easy if you have a drill and a bench grinder (or could possible use a belt sander), you start off with a longer bolt than what you need, chuck it up into the drill, hold it against the side of the bench grinding disk but start up the drill and let the bolt head spin before you start pushing it against the grinder, needs to be held quite steady though, if you don't it will 'bounce' not grind it round evenly, the bolt head can be tilted to round off the edges and any lettering and then hold it against some sand paper and start up the drill again to polish it smooth with different grits. Finish by marking the slot with a pencil and carefully use a thin dremel cutting disk to make the slot and use the disk to also trim the bolt down to the required size, this also cuts away any possible damaged thread caused by the drill.

A pressure sensitive trigger is also useful on your drill for this job so you can control the speed the bolt head spins at.

I can post some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested, its actually easier then it sounds and only took maybe 10 mins or less, Hex bolts are very cheap so if you mess one up just make another, I used a similar technique when I made brass capacitors for my 'all brass' power cylinders on my sterling E11 as I don't have a lathe.

Edited by welshchris77
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I'll test the hot water method with some scrap abs first. Ukswrath has posted his ammo pack installation. He has it close to the cover strip. I think I would prefer that too.

Try it with thick and thin offcuts and you will notice how much hotter you will need to get the thicker ones before bending them  :duim: