KMan's Anovos TK Adventure Build

kman

I just noticed last night that most of the photos posted on the first couple of pages of this thread were all broken links, because apparently ImageShack lost and corrupted a large chunk of my photos.

ImageShack is dead to me.

Technically nothing should be entirely lost, since all of those photos came from my phone or computer at some point, but their filenames are scrambled (which is fine) so I cannot always tell exactly which photo I had chosen originally. I did the best that I could to replace all of the links with links to my own server, where I'm now going to host all my photos from now on. As soon as possible, I'll be migrating everything I've ever done over to my own server, editing a couple of years of photo posts on various boards (*sigh*) to replace all of those links. This isn't going to be easy, as I can somewhat active about topics I get enthusiastic about, in case you haven't noticed. ;)

But it's worth the effort. ImageShack keeps raising their rates (now to obscene levels, believe me!) AND they lose my photos? Done. Never again. Hosting myself from now on. It's only going to get harder moving forward, so there's no time like the present...

I just noticed last night that most of the photos posted on the first couple of pages of this thread were all broken links, because apparently ImageShack lost and corrupted a large chunk of my photos.

ImageShack is dead to me.

Technically nothing should be entirely lost, since all of those photos came from my phone or computer at some point, but their filenames are scrambled (which is fine) so I cannot always tell exactly which photo I had chosen originally. I did the best that I could to replace all of the links with links to my own server, where I'm now going to host all my photos from now on. As soon as possible, I'll be migrating everything I've ever done over to my own server, editing a couple of years of photo posts on various boards (*sigh*) to replace all of those links. This isn't going to be easy, as I can somewhat active about topics I get enthusiastic about, in case you haven't noticed. ;)

But it's worth the effort. ImageShack keeps raising their rates (now to obscene levels, believe me!) AND they lose my photos? Done. Never again. Hosting myself from now on. It's only going to get harder moving forward, so there's no time like the present...

Self hosting is probably the future. I've been using Flickr but I've started to hear rumours that yahoo may be not long for this world. Then I'm in the same mess you are.
  • Like 1

Good luck kman, although I don't think you need it. Your rig looks great!

As far as photo hosting goes I have been using photobucket for almost a decade without issue. Always works and is free (unless you need massive amounts of storage space). Might be worth a try if personal hosting poses some issues.

• Like 1

I went self hosting long ago after free photo sharing sites kept losing photos or going down for days at a time. A few cloud storage sites have also been closing down recently. Just make sure you keep multiple backups in different places - I may be a bit paranoid, but that's only because I've lost files in the past!

• Like 1

Self hosting is probably the future. I've been using Flickr but I've started to hear rumours that yahoo may be not long for this world. Then I'm in the same mess you are.

I went self hosting long ago after free photo sharing sites kept losing photos or going down for days at a time. A few cloud storage sites have also been closing down recently. Just make sure you keep multiple backups in different places - I may be a bit paranoid, but that's only because I've lost files in the past!

I've been casually looking into it for a while, but never found anything that worked for me. I actually REALLY liked ImageShack's setup. On the fly resizing, unlimited space, you name it. Unfortunately, in the past 3 years they went from (1) Free, no account needed, to (2) Free, account needed, to (3) $1/mo for more than like 25 photos, to (4) $2/mo for a reasonable amount of photos (at which point I really started to grit my teeth), to the current $4/mo for pretty much anything, which absolutely obscene. I'm paying it at the moment because I'm lazy, but that was definitely the tipping point. Add to the fact that they then proceeded to lose a whole bunch of my photos, and that was IT. DONE.

It's a bear to edit all of those posts, though. :( I post a lot of pics. Here at FISD it shouldn't be THAT tough to go through and edit my posts and replace the links, but I worry about my stuff on other forums, where I have longer history. Especially since some of them have time limits on how long you can edit your posts! At some point (hopefully sooner rather than later but at this point I'm JUST lazy enough that I don't feel a huge rush, since after all it's only $4), I'm going to kill that ImageShack account and then I'll have left behind a series of posts littered with dead links. :(

Here, I only have to search through 300 or so posts, for images I've linked. I have other forums with thousands of posts...

FWIW, Piwigo seems to be a pretty solid, free hosting platform. Fortunately I maintain a number of websites so it was no big deal to grab a cheap domain name and get Piwigo installed. Seems to be working so far! The process is a bit more manual than it was with ImageShack, but well within the tolerable range, especially considering the long term stability. The price will never go beyond the cost of an annual domain name renewal! (which I'm doing directly with my web host so it's especially cheap)

Edited by kman

What thickness would you recommend for the chicago screws for the belt plastic? I've found a seller that does them in 2mm, 3.5mm and 6mm gaps between the heads.  3.5mm seems a shade thin but 6mm might be too wide if the belt isn't thick enough.  I don't know how thick a "proper" belt is, I'd guess about 4-5mm?

What thickness would you recommend for the chicago screws for the belt plastic? I've found a seller that does them in 2mm, 3.5mm and 6mm gaps between the heads.  3.5mm seems a shade thin but 6mm might be too wide if the belt isn't thick enough.  I don't know how thick a "proper" belt is, I'd guess about 4-5mm?

I haven't measured (and I'm at work) but you might be able to tell by looking at the photo of my new Chicago screws (the longer, shinier ones) next to the Anovos Chicago screws (the shorter, duller finished ones):

20160303173444-af327c1b-la.jpg

Measure the Anovos ones that you have, visually add the extra as you can see in the photo, and you should get in the right ballpark.

And actually, I just re-read your question. The Anovos Chicago screws (the four provided for the holster to belt connections) were the perfect fit, for connecting my Anovos ammo belt to my Rob Kittell replacement belt. Measure those, and you should have your answer.

The longer ones were perfect for going through the thicker leather holster and then through the thicker Kittell belt.

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

Your images are still not showing.

Which one?

I just opened up this thread in another browser (never been logged in on that browser, to FISD or my hosted site) and skimmed through all 7 pages of this thread. (wow, I've posted a lot of pics!) All of them showed up fine. Is there a specific image you're not seeing, or is a group of them?

This thread is still a mix of self-hosted images (You can see I've edited all the posts on page 1, and placed every picture, and all of them on this last page 7, but I haven't replaced pix in all 7 pages yet) and the original ImageShack hosted pix, but all of them appear to be showing up now, as far as I can see. If not, please let me know so I can fix it!

Edited by kman

Never mind, your image host is blocked by my work's firewall as a malicious site. The last picture you posted

That's odd... my image host is my own web server (well, my web host, DreamHost, a large commercial server). Definitely nothing malicious on my own domain.

I've just now converted every photo in the entire thread to point to my host instead of ImageShack. (that was fun!) If you want to see any of them at work, perhaps you should have your IT guys take a closer look and take it off the block list?

Edited by kman

kppix.com is not liked by my work's firewall. Funny thing is I am the IT guy. I can get around it, but I don't like to if I don't have to.

I'd be awfully curious to know what exactly the issue is that's being flagged. My site is not hosting any malware. The only thing running on it is Piwigo, which is open source image gallery server software.

kppix.com is not liked by my work's firewall. Funny thing is I am the IT guy. I can get around it, but I don't like to if I don't have to.

If you don't mind, what firewall are you using? Is there a RTBL of some sort? I'm having my hosting company check over the site to make sure nothing is actually wrong, but everything seems shipshape from what I can tell so far.

Host reports back nothing was amiss, although some permissions were set wrong by the Piwigo installation for some reason.  They've scanned thoroughly, however, and there is no malware or security issue with the site.

We use zscaler, I have no control over those settings, that's End User Service's section. I can bypass it on my own machine because I'm an admin though. I even tried just kppix.com and it doesn't like it. Maybe if you create an index.html for your home page it will fix it. 

• Like 1

We use zscaler, I have no control over those settings, that's End User Service's section. I can bypass it on my own machine because I'm an admin though. I even tried just kppix.com and it doesn't like it. Maybe if you create an index.html for your home page it will fix it.

Done.