hupspring's ANOVOS build

hupspring

I managed to get the velcro attached to the backs of the calves and got the belt all done! With that, I'm pretty much done as far as basic approval goes (and EIB too I think). Now I just need to find some time to take submission photos!

I did run into a small issue today though - as I was putting velcro in the helmet to hold the hard hat liner and helmet pads, I noticed that the crack in the lower part of the right ear got slightly larger than when I first noticed it. I tried to use a hobby knife to carve out a bit of the ear around the crack that was touching the helmet in an effort to get some ABS paste around it.

helmet-ear-crack-2.jpg

I didn't want to do too much carving. If you don't remember or haven't read some of my previous posts, you might be wondering why I didn't just take the ear off and fix it. Back on page 4 I mentioned how the right ear was glued on and I didn't want to try forcing it off due to that crack being there. The crack is probably due to the ear being glued on and not trimmed properly, so if you hold the helmet on the right side, it flexes that area where the crack is.

So I took out my jar of ABS paste (the paste was still usable!) mixed it up and applied some with a toothpick. I tried to get underneath and apply some on the back side, but it was hard with such a limited space to work with. I put some on the front as well and will need to sand it down when it cures.

helmet-ear-crack-3.jpg

Hopefully that fix will help prevent the crack from spreading, but I may try to get another pair of ears from Anovos when they start offering parts. Or I should complain since the ear was already cracked when I got the kit.

Other than that, I'm still pretty excited to be done with the main part of the build. There is still more to do (add electronics and fans, adjust strapping as needed, make sure there are no sharp corners and return edges, etc) but it looks like the nights this week after work won't be seeing me sneaking off the garage to glue bits of plastic together.

• Like 2

I'd be taking that ear off and adding paste from the rear.  It's not too hard 3 screws.  Just be careful as one of mine was held on with all of the superglue!

Yeah mine is superglued on as well which is why I'm afraid to take it off. The entire area around the bottom screw is all superglued. If I try prying it off I'm scared that the crack will split even further, possibly ruining the ear. I think I'm going to put in a ticket with Anovos and see if they'll replace the ear.

• Like 1

Yeah mine is superglued on as well which is why I'm afraid to take it off. The entire area around the bottom screw is all superglued. If I try prying it off I'm scared that the crack will split even further, possibly ruining the ear. I think I'm going to put in a ticket with Anovos and see if they'll replace the ear.

Maybe if you use a blunt knife under there to pry lightly at the glued section rather than pull on the ear.  I did mine by lightly bending the rim until the glue cracked.  Of course I can't get teh glue off now but that's a different issue.

Freezing the helmet may also help, since superglue tends to become a little more brittle in freezing temps.

I wonder if I could just put some ice on it for a while - there's no way the helmet is going to fit in my freezer! :P

I wonder if I could just put some ice on it for a while - there's no way the helmet is going to fit in my freezer! :P

That chest freezer in my garage was one of the best $75 I ever spent. :)

So the other night I tried to glue the trooperbay latex hand guards to my nomex flight gloves using E6000 to see if it would work. It did not. The glue stuck well to the gloves, but easily peeled off the backs of the hand guards. So now I need to clean off all the E6000 residue from the gloves (which is a lot harder than I expected) and then I'll try using CA glue. 

I wanted to have the hand guards glued on for today since I'm taking my submission pictures later today, but I'll have to use the Anovos plastic ones. I also haven't received my soft goods from Anovos yet, so I'm using the nomex gloves for my submission pictures - hopefully that won't cause an issue.

Speaking of the Anovos soft goods, I checked the FedEx Delivery Manager last week and saw the package from Anovos was getting ready to be sent. Anticipated ship date: Tue 3/15/2016; Scheduled delivery: Sat 3/19/2016. Then on Monday the Scheduled delivery date changed to Pending, which it's still stuck at. They are toying with me!

I wonder if it needed a longer cure time or something. I left it for 24 hours before putting the gloves on. I also cleaned the backs with isopropyl alcohol and sanded them down with 100 grit sandpaper prior to putting on the glue.

I wonder if it needed a longer cure time or something. I left it for 24 hours before putting the gloves on. I also cleaned the backs with isopropyl alcohol and sanded them down with 100 grit sandpaper prior to putting on the glue.

Strange. Might want to ask Joseph what he did?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35702-latex-hand-guards-for-centurion-level-anh/?p=472843

I glued JustJoseph's latex hand guards with E6000 to my nomex gloves with no issues (see my build thread). No sanding or other cleaning. I stuffed the glove then used painters tape to press the hand guard to the glove. I let it dry for 24 hours. 

I glued JustJoseph's latex hand guards with E6000 to my nomex gloves with no issues (see my build thread). No sanding or other cleaning. I stuffed the glove then used painters tape to press the hand guard to the glove. I let it dry for 24 hours. 

I wonder if his are a different material than the trooperbay hand guards. I did get a set of his hand guards, maybe I'll use those instead of the trooperbay ones.

I wonder if his are a different material than the trooperbay hand guards. I did get a set of his hand guards, maybe I'll use those instead of the trooperbay ones.

Trooperbay's description says rubber instead of latex, but he does mention E6000 to be used (sparingly).

I used superglue (CA glue) to attach my latex hand guards (Josephs) to black rubber dish washing gloves (same as chemical gloves) and they are never coming off! 

DSC_0215_zps0x7bxkgt.jpg

Ok, that's interesting. I didn't catch that you have the TrooperBay hand guards, and not the JustJoseph ones. I wonder what the difference is, that one bonds better than the other, without any special steps?

Trooperbay's description says rubber instead of latex, but he does mention E6000 to be used (sparingly).

I didn't notice the trooperbay ones had a message about using E6000 sparingly. I used a decent amount...maybe that was the problem.

It's in the description of the hand guards:

These hand guards are made of very flexible rubber and will need to be glued to the hand backs of black rubber gloves. I suggest E-6-000 used sparingly. Comes as a pair L/R.

Today I took my armor to work since my brother-in-law was going to take my submission pictures (he's a photographer/designer). I left the armor in the Husky bin in the car but brought the helmet in to my office. There were a lot of people who wanted to wear it, most of them not knowing how to put it on or what the helmet is made of. One guy forced his head into it without turning the helmet, which caused me to not allow anyone else to wear it.

But most of the day the helmet sat beside me, giving me a nice distraction to look at.

desk-helmet.jpg

Later in the day I went to the studio and had my photoshoot. After the shoot I realized my left bicep somehow got turned and my right glove wasn't stuffed under the forearm, and I think the left shoulder bell tends to wander towards the back (although that might have been a result of the turned bicep). They should be easy things to fix. It was pretty fun doing different poses - now I just need to take the close up shots of the armor and send in my pictures!

stormtrooper-1.jpg

• Like 4

Today I took my armor to work since my brother-in-law was going to take my submission pictures (he's a photographer/designer). I left the armor in the Husky bin in the car but brought the helmet in to my office. There were a lot of people who wanted to wear it, most of them not knowing how to put it on or what the helmet is made of. One guy forced his head into it without turning the helmet, which caused me to not allow anyone else to wear it.

But most of the day the helmet sat beside me, giving me a nice distraction to look at.

desk-helmet.jpg

Later in the day I went to the studio and had my photoshoot. After the shoot I realized my left bicep somehow got turned and my right glove wasn't stuffed under the forearm, and I think the left shoulder bell tends to wander towards the back (although that might have been a result of the turned bicep). They should be easy things to fix. It was pretty fun doing different poses - now I just need to take the close up shots of the armor and send in my pictures!

stormtrooper-1.jpg

Great job and looking forward to seeing that new ID number

• Like 1

And the application and pictures have been submitted! This wait is going to kill me! I suppose I should start fixing my wife's armor now to keep me occupied.

Although I do need to set up the electronics still! Maybe I should start on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by hupspring
  • Like 1

I decided I'll do some work on my wife's armor to fit her better, and put in the snap strapping system (I bought her someone's old sandy armor last year and it had a mix of snaps and velcro). So while I'm waiting to hear back on my application, my armor is on daddyquin. The mannequin torso is about 3 inches too high so I need to fix that one of these days. But walking into the room with this standing there is pretty impressive, even without boots or gloves.

daddyquin-full.jpg

I'm considering taking my thighs apart and trimming more off the back, mostly for the upper section. There is a lot of room between my leg and the upper half of the thighs. From my photo shoot, you can see the left thigh looks way too wide:

stormtrooper-2.jpg

I have a feeling if my application is rejected it will be because of my thighs. Although what I haven't done yet is put in padding - it might help if I added padding to the outer leg area so that the thighs don't bump together as much on the inner side, and it could help get rid of that excess gap on the inner leg.

And the other day at work I noticed someone did a little drawing in the conference room and figured people here would appreciate it.

biker-scout-drawing.jpg

• Like 1