DBoz ANOVOS TK Build

DBoz

I figured I should start a build thread to track my progess on the ANOVOS kit.  This will be my first build, so I've been reading build threads and watching videos to get an idea of what's involved.  So far, it looks like something I can handle as long as I take it slow.  Truthfully, the thing that has me most anxious is the trimming, as I've never been very good at cutting straight lines with an X-acto or utility knife.  I plan on trying my hand with tin snips, so hopefully I won't mess it up too bad.  Anyway, on to the pics:

Stopped by Home Depot to pick up some supplies:

P6CDssq.jpg

Then promptly drew first blood.  Quite embarrassing actually, as I wasn't even working on the armor.  I was opening the damn plastic packaging on the tin snips and stuck the utility knife into my thumb.

9VZ4n4c.jpg

Next, some obligatory bucket comparison shots.  On the left is the ANOVOS and the right is EFX fiberglass Hero Limited Edition.

aVpoDxU.jpg

M2dyvqX.jpg

IHi11DH.jpg

wTB0kaa.jpg

tOxkCQb.jpg

F4cAHYJ.jpg

dzK9xXm.jpg

My plans for the helmet are as follows:

- Completely strip it out (possibly disassemble too, haven't decided yet)

- Clean up the eye holes

- Paint the interior black

- Install a fan system

- Install pad system (hate the hard hat style headband)

- Reattach the lenses and grill in a more durable fashion

Plans for the armor build:

- I do not plan on using the provided velcro strapping system. The webbing provided seems too flimsy for my tastes.  I plan on using a heavier webbing for the straps and will attach them using snaps/rivets/glue where appropriate.

- I plan on using strapping brackets on the torso pieces

- I do not necessarily plan on going for EIB or Centurion level acceptance, but will keep the criteria in mind and attempt to build to the best standard I can.

Finally, here's a glamour shot (ANOVOS bucket with TKBoots and HFx Hyperfirm E-11):

0K1W8Rt.jpg

Next up is sorting all the parts and starting to trim...

Edited by DBoz
  • Like 4

- I do not necessarily plan on going for EIB or Centurion level acceptance, but will keep the criteria in mind and attempt to build to the best standard I can.

Looking forward to the build. I'd reconsider this tho... the small details to go from basic approval to Expert Infantry are very minimal. Just a suggestion however...

Edited by cm325i

Really good point. Might be worth picking up some Novus for mine. I want super shiny,

Can't wait to watch how it goes for you! Still waiting for my kit.

Yeah exactly.  Not sure I like how matted and almost grey it looks.  Although I'm sure that's more screen accurate.

Looking forward to the build. I'd reconsider this tho... the small details to go from basic approval to Expert Infantry are very minimal. Just a suggestion however...

Don't get me wrong, I definitely plan on following the EIB and Centurion guidelines as I build. How it all turns out will decide whether or not I apply for those. Heck, I'm not even a 501st member yet.

Yeah exactly.  Not sure I like how matted and almost grey it looks.  Although I'm sure that's more screen accurate.

The funny thing is, that when sitting next to an RS ABS bucket, the Anovos looks like it's the one that is pure stark white.  :)

Yeah exactly. Not sure I like how matted and almost grey it looks. Although I'm sure that's more screen accurate.

Yes, it very much accentuates the difference between the painted white look and the bare plastic look.

Took the helmet apart today.  Came apart easily; total of 5 screws on each side (three through each ear and two more under the ears holding the halves of the helmet together).  The brow and neck trim were lightly glued in place, but easily removed.  I've never built a helmet and the only one I have to compare it to is my fiberglass EFX, which is not comparable at all, but here are some overall impressions:

- Plastic is very thin and a bit brittle at the edges.  Measured at 1mm.

- You can definitely tell these were mass produced.  Trimming is pretty sloppy, but it's pretty much hidden.

- The protective film was still present under the ears and dome.  There are slight score lines from where they cut around the ears to remove it after the helmet was assembled.

- Traps, tears and stripes appear to be water slide decals.  If you look closely, you can see marks from evaporated water droplets.  I was also able to scratch a small bit off the corner of one with my fingernail, so removing them shouldn't be a problem if you were so inclined.

- The mic tips appear to be a 3 part construction (outer black housing, inner white cylinder, screen).  The white resin inner part seems to be glued in place.  I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't budge.  The black housing is a very clean molding, but I don't really have anything to compare it to, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

- One final observation.  My brow trim appears to be too short on the right side.  Although, this appears to be somewhat screen accurate for some helmets, I'm not really fond of it.  Gives it an unfinished, sloppy look.  I may replace it with one that is long enough to go to the end of the traps.

mXZJxFl.jpg

A couple of shots of the stripped interior before I took it apart:

SaZPXBu.jpg

i5eIdx6.jpg

Here you can see the hasty trimming and leftover protective film under the ears.

vx9FLp3.jpg

Here's a picture showing one of the trap decal's overlap to the inside, where it tore on application.

hak8GQj.jpg

Finally, the Mic Tips:

rjiMYvu.jpg

Brow Trim Right Side:

7e3yhO7.jpg

Next up, I should start trimming, but I may start reworking the helmet instead.  I may also throw the thermal detonator together because it seems to be pretty easy and then I can have at least one finished part. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by DBoz
  • Like 1

...and you tore it apart because?

I plan on painting the inside and making some modifications, such as mounting posts for the lenses. I figured it would be easier if I broke it down. Plus, I just wanted to see how they put it together. Only took about 10 minutes. Probably will only take about 10 minutes to put it back together. Edited by DBoz

Taking inventory.  Nothing that most haven't already seen here, but I figured I'd throw up some pictures, just for documentation's sake.  The lighting in my living room sucks and gave it all a yellowish tint, so don't take these pics as representative of the actual color of the ABS.

Everything but the bucket (note the pre-trimmed cover strips):

KAISHW7.jpg

Kidney notches, right & Left

tq3DImS.jpg

mQuysd2.jpg

Ab plate showing wonky gig line

C5bkMwQ.jpg

Thumbprint on left bicep

2Hh9gT7.jpg

Forearm indentations (11 for left arm, 12 for right arm)

gN1tgUL.jpg

Shoulder bells (asymmetrical)

l7LaxPQ.jpg

OII detail on back

zsTOsCS.jpg

Holster and belt - It's nice that this came assembled, but I think I would have preferred if it hadn't.  Due to the (much talked about) hero style 4 point holster attachment coupled with the stunt helmet, this makes building for 501st acceptance problematic without getting a new belt or a new helmet.  Obviously, a new belt is the easiest option.  With that in mind, it would have been nice to be able to assemble the belt ourselves, thus giving us the option of 2 or 4 point attachment.  Aside from that, the belt itself is of decent quality, but lacking in rigidity.  Some kind of stiffener in the belt would have been nice.  The holster; on the other hand, is very stiff and will require some breaking in to allow the blaster to be drawn and re-holstered easily.  It is also attached with Chicago screws, so removal is easily accomplished.  That said, removing the top two screws leaves two large holes in the canvas belt, that will be pretty much impossible to hide.

gefaZRi.jpg
3ShxRKG.jpg

Au0pPVi.jpg
6OZARyR.jpg

Neck Seal - kind of shiny... very lightweight.  Though it may look it in the picture, it's not pleather.

CV2SX2Y.jpg

Thermal Detonator (all parts come trimmed)

vi72e80.jpg

Strapping system (I do not plan on using this setup)

4lHNZnH.jpg

Edited by DBoz
  • Like 1

I plan on painting the inside and making some modifications, such as mounting posts for the lenses.  I figured it would be easier if I broke down.  Plus, I just wanted to see how they put it together.  Only took about 10 minutes.  Probably will only take about 10 minutes to put it back together.

:duim:

Just a thought, I used to build a lot of model kits and the easiest way I found to remove stubborn transfers was to use double sided tape, the transfer used to lift pretty easy.

However, if the helmet is thin you will need to be careful and do a little bit at a time so you don't cause any damage.

Awesome build thread!! So it look s like the brow can be easily raised for that stunt look!

Also, where do you guys get the good strapping material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome build thread!! So it look s like the brow can be easily raised for that stunt look!

Also, where do you guys get the good strapping material?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to raise the brow. As for the strapping material, I have an old rifle sling that I am sacrificing for the 1" webbing. I will be picking up the elastic at a fabric store. I would imagine you can get the webbing there too.

Awesome thank you! As for the brow, could you tell me if the black brow sits in the middle of the joined pieces? I wonder how much wiggle room there is if I just want to nudge it up just a bit without dismantling and re screwing the whole thing

Awesome thank you! As for the brow, could you tell me if the black brow sits in the middle of the joined pieces? I wonder how much wiggle room there is if I just want to nudge it up just a bit without dismantling and re screwing the whole thing

The brow was pretty much pushed all the way up on the dome piece. If you want to raise it, you're probably going to have to take it apart and do some shaping on that part of the helmet.

• Like 1

Hi Chris and congrats on your armor.  I think its great that you are willing to put in the extra effort to make the armor how you want it to be.

Question: Is the replacement black edging from the helmet something that's easily sourced?

Kalani what black edging are you referring to?