MR CE helmet overhaul

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to order some Weber's "S" shaped rubber gasket #RG102. I've read in other threads that this is very accurate looking trim.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'v read that it's very acurate also :) but I was unsure :unsure: , about the acute curve around the vo-coder area & if the rubber would give!

Ā 

Interested to find out how it turn's out :)

Alright, here it is painted...

Ā 

44.jpg

Ā 

45.jpg

Ā 

46.jpg

Ā 

47.jpg

Ā 

48.jpg

Ā 

I'm going to let it sit till Sunday, that's my next available day to start painting in the details. I hope to get the ears I ordered by then or at least by next week. I still need to order the brow and neck trim too. I need to get on the ball with that :rolleyes:

Ā 

I was also planing on buffing the helmet once the paint cured to bring out the shine even more.

Looks good. You used the Krylon Gloss White? Do you have FX armour? If so, can you put the two together and see what the colour match is like. I'm thinking that the Satin WHite might be a better match.

Ā 

Painting mine this weekend once I figure out which paint to use.

Ā 

DD.

all I have to say is poodoo...

Ā 

I didn't want to have to do that much work to my CE...

Ā 

but after seeing what the helmet can look like how can I not?

Ā 

-lor

Many people slam the CE's in their stock form, but they turn out awesome with some work. It's like the ugly duckling turning into the swan. I just need to put in the mouth screen, trap/tear stickers and I can call mine done.

Ā 

Mine was a full repaint, ear chop, accurate sized frown holes, new lenses, new tube stripes, re-purposed house door trim for brow trim. Black car door trim for the neck trim. Re-cycled original hovis.

Ā 

100_0612.jpg

Ā 

100_0611.jpg

Looks good. You used the Krylon Gloss White? Do you have FX armour? If so, can you put the two together and see what the colour match is like. I'm thinking that the Satin WHite might be a better match.

Ā 

Painting mine this weekend once I figure out which paint to use.

Ā 

DD.

Ā 

Ā 

I used Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel Gloss White like Mike used to paint his TE2 helmet.

Ā 

I don't own any armor at this time just this helmet. One day I hope to.

Ā 

Mobus, yours turned out excellent.

I used Rust-Oleum High Performance Enamel Gloss White like Mike used to paint his TE2 helmet.

Ā 

I don't own any armor at this time just this helmet. One day I hope to.

Ā 

Mobus, yours turned out excellent.

Ā 

Thanks. I'm trying to keep up with the quality work everyone on here is doing with them. Just for reference I used Krylon fusion gloss white on mine, and the gray is Testors 1138. The black on the vocoder is just Testors gloss black (the number escapes me at the moment).

Ā 

The Fusion had a tiny bit of orange peel, but I wet sanded it with 1500 grit and then used polishing compound with a buffer and got a mirror shine out of it. I think as long as we all put on a couple good coats, no matter how they look it can all buff out in the end. I'd just like to remind everyone to stay away from waxing new paint for 30 days. Polishing and buffing compounds are one thing, but the distillates in wax can actually harm new paint that is still curing/hardening.

Nicely done...what ear mod did you do? I see you kept the original ears.

Ā 

Many people slam the CE's in their stock form, but they turn out awesome with some work. It's like the ugly duckling turning into the swan. I just need to put in the mouth screen, trap/tear stickers and I can call mine done.

Ā 

Mine was a full repaint, ear chop, accurate sized frown holes, new lenses, new tube stripes, re-purposed house door trim for brow trim. Black car door trim for the neck trim. Re-cycled original hovis.

Ā 

100_0612.jpg

Ā 

100_0611.jpg

OK, so I had the helmet painted and I was not happy with it :angry: It didn't come out like the ones I've seen here on other threads all smooth and super shinny. So when the paint dried I sanded it then sprayed some Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear on it, then when that dried I hit it with some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. NOW it looks good. I wish I didn't have to go through the extra steps, but I'm much happier with it now. I'll start painting details tomorrow. Neck and brow trims have been ordered. Still haven't received the ears yet. I've never ordered anything from overseas before so I should give it a little more time I guess. Its been 18 days since I made payment. So here is what the helmet looks like now...

Ā 

Ā 

44.jpg

Ā 

45.jpg

Ā 

46.jpg

Ā 

47.jpg

Lookin good and Im right behind you but Im going for an ANH hero on my first.

Couple of hopefully helpfull hints I can add from doing this.

1. The screwing together of the front and back to flatten the sides: the top screw has to be rather high as in right under the outline of where the earpiece goes or it wont flatten out. Look at the pics here to determine location. I went too low the first time and didnt get that nice flattened side.

2. I didnt wait for my white putty and used bondo glazing putty. WAIT FOR THE SQUADRON PUTTY :) It dries MUCH faster, is easier to sand and because its white does not show like the red. Ive gone back with the white and am MUCH happier.

3. If you pay carefull attention to your filing on teh frown you can get that screen used look. Add some height to the center tooth..aside from teh ears the thing that really makes an MR look like an MR is the frown which is too low and rounded in the center.

As I make more mistakes I will post them :)

Luis

Did you permantently attach the cap and putty it? It looks like there is no gap but you didnt mention whether or not you filled in the gap between cap and helmet on the back. Ive been holding off on that only because Im concerned about attaching the brow trim afterwards as theres not much room and I dont want to accidentally break puttied seams trying to get the brow trim on.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

OK, so I had the helmet painted and I was not happy with it :angry: It didn't come out like the ones I've seen here on other threads all smooth and super shinny. So when the paint dried I sanded it then sprayed some Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear on it, then when that dried I hit it with some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound. NOW it looks good. I wish I didn't have to go through the extra steps, but I'm much happier with it now. I'll start painting details tomorrow. Neck and brow trims have been ordered. Still haven't received the ears yet. I've never ordered anything from overseas before so I should give it a little more time I guess. Its been 18 days since I made payment. So here is what the helmet looks like now...

Ā 

Ā 

44.jpg

Ā 

45.jpg

Ā 

46.jpg

Ā 

47.jpg

Luis

Did you permantently attach the cap and putty it? It looks like there is no gap but you didnt mention whether or not you filled in the gap between cap and helmet on the back. Ive been holding off on that only because Im concerned about attaching the brow trim afterwards as theres not much room and I dont want to accidentally break puttied seams trying to get the brow trim on.

Ā 

Ā 

Yes I did. I thought about that same thing too as far as the brow trim goes. I will probably have to modify the trim itself, but I haven't received it yet. As soon as I do I will post pics and let you know what I did.