MR CE helmet overhaul

Here it is as promised. Painted the inside black and primed the outside. I was going to wait till tomorrow to do the primer, but I couldn't wait.

31.jpg

32.jpg

I let the black paint dry for a couple of hours then taped it up from the inside to spray the primer.

34.jpg

This is the first coat...

35.jpg

Waited about a minute between coats. This is the fourth coat...

38.jpg

Here is the helmet ready for the shinny paint. Don't know if I'll do it tomorrow or give the primer a day or two. But the weather was perfect today, both the black paint and primer dried pretty quickly.

41.jpg

40.jpg

39.jpg

43.jpg

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I think Ive figured out whats missing on the CE...its teh frown...the center 'tooth' to be specific. I think when I do mine Im going to do everything I have seen here so far but in addition I am going to give the center tooth a little HEIGHT by adding a veneer/false front to give it a little more height....I think its too short and rounded at teh apex and I think that may make a world of difference. Thoughts?

looking great there ! i hope mine turns out nice as yours. so how do the ears look since you filled the seams of the caps?

I ordered some other ears because I didn't want to use the ones it came with. I can't wait to get them, they should make a big difference.

I agree about the frown. That's why I made the openings bigger. The teeth seemed to sit too far in the frown. I tried to make it look as if they were more raised. I think you have a good idea.

Great pics and what a great overhaul, i cant wait to see it completed B)

Hey everyone...I know many of you have ordered my tube stripes for the CE...

Many have asked if I was going to have the decals for the rest of the bucket, and

I am close to getting them on ebay.

I had to trace each decal, scan, digitize, clean, etc. I should have the decals ready

by next week, however, these will be somewhat expensive because I have to

outsource them to another shop.

I will keep everyone updated too.

By the way, excellent paint job! It look fantastic. My apologies for trying to

hijack this thread!

-M

Hey everyone...I know many of you have ordered my tube stripes for the CE...

Many have asked if I was going to have the decals for the rest of the bucket, and

I am close to getting them on ebay.

I had to trace each decal, scan, digitize, clean, etc. I should have the decals ready

by next week, however, these will be somewhat expensive because I have to

outsource them to another shop.

I will keep everyone updated too.

By the way, excellent paint job! It look fantastic. My apologies for trying to

hijack this thread!

-M

That's cool! I ordered some of your stripes for my helmet too. They look great.

OK, IM confused....it seems like somethings missing. Got teh helmet apart and I removed that inside tab from teh rear helmet but I CANT get my front and back to sit flush at the ears like you did. Please help me...argghhhhh

6. Next I removed the tabs just above the ear on the back half and these on the front, plus some other parts:

IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7054.jpg

IMG_7056.jpg

This was so I could close the big gap between the two halves after removing the ears:

IMG_7020.jpg

IMG_7119.jpg

I was hoping to use ears from one of the helmet kits, but I can't find anyone who will sell them to me. I might have to use the ones it came with :angry:

7. Filled in the areas with some MMD putty. Will sand smooth tomorrow:

IMG_7122.jpg

After that it should be ready for priming then painting.

OK, IM confused....it seems like somethings missing. Got teh helmet apart and I removed that inside tab from teh rear helmet but I CANT get my front and back to sit flush at the ears like you did. Please help me...argghhhhh

I also removed the bottom tab that's right above the ears on the back half. There are two on the back and one on the front. And I also made an opening on the front half as shown in the photo so that the lip from the front could be pushed in. Did this to both sides. You could try to grind down that edge, but I didn't think there was enough material. I'm sorry I left that out :huh: That's all I did, then once I put the small nut and bolts they tighten it all together. Basically I kept test fitting the halves and looked to see where something was making contact with something else and determined if I needed to cut or grind it away. I really hope this helps.

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7243-1.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

Great thread, I am excited to stt the end result as well. Started in on my MRCE, tossed the ears, brow trim, lenses and hovies. Ordered new ears from John, bought some brow trim and got on that dude in Japan making lenses... ;) I will use some stickers and tubestripes I have from another build. Stompers Hovies should round out the build.

I am finaly going to build a Sandy lid for the heck of it. Looking for the Movealong High Brow look.

Started hacking and got the ears flush. Puttying up this weekend.

Can you hear that? Its the sound of a thousand dremel tools spooled up and slicing into their MRCE's...

This thread screams Sticky!

No doubt no doubt....

My brow trim didnt survive removal so will have to order some. cut out the spot for teh lip and will bolt the halves together tomorrow. Going to give the chin seam one more taste of bondo as its not quite as smooth as Id like. Opened up the frown and gave the center tooth a little more height...frown looks much better.

Great thread, I am excited to stt the end result as well. Started in on my MRCE, tossed the ears, brow trim, lenses and hovies. Ordered new ears from John, bought some brow trim and got on that dude in Japan making lenses... ;) I will use some stickers and tubestripes I have from another build. Stompers Hovies should round out the build.

I am finaly going to build a Sandy lid for the heck of it. Looking for the Movealong High Brow look.

Started hacking and got the ears flush. Puttying up this weekend.

Can you hear that? Its the sound of a thousand dremel tools spooled up and slicing into their MRCE's...

This thread screams Sticky!

Thanks everyone. My brow trim didn't come off without a little damage either. Waiting on replacement ears, have other lenses, and I plan on ordering new brow and neck trim soon. If tomorrows weather is good I'll paint it. Let it sit for a week, then start all the hand painting.

Thanks everyone. My brow trim didn't come off without a little damage either. Waiting on replacement ears, have other lenses, and I plan on ordering new brow and neck trim soon. If tomorrows weather is good I'll paint it. Let it sit for a week, then start all the hand painting.

Has anyone tried just applying some window tint to the inside of the stock lenses?

Has anyone tried just applying some window tint to the inside of the stock lenses?

Mine had to be completly removed & replaced, it was like looking through a soap dish :blink: Don't know if anyone else had a similar experience?

also interested to find out which style of neck trim have you opted to use? :)

Mine had to be completly removed & replaced, it was like looking through a soap dish :blink: Don't know if anyone else had a similar experience?

I was going to order some Weber's "S" shaped rubber gasket #RG102. I've read in other threads that this is very accurate looking trim.

The stock lenses on mine gave a distorted view too, almost like bubble lenses even though they were flat. That was my primary reason for changing them out instead of just tinting them.

I tried the window tint applied to clear acetate...didn't like it. I finally got a replacement welders face shield from Farm and Fleet. It cuts easily, and is plenty dark, but not too dark to see out of...at least in well lit areas. Night troops might be interesting.