ANOVOS ANH Thermal Detonator Problem

is every thread going to devolve into a pointless debate? or are we going to man up, and work on costumes.

opinions don't count compared to solving problems, and correcting mistakes.

• Like 2

Funnily i´m pretty calm about the armor - i´m just waiting for the things to come. I like what i see, finally a armor that does not look like molten goo. Additional some questions are left that only can be answered when we have it our very hands.

But i can´t hold my laugh when i read the elitist bitching some people are posting here.  :D

Just a side note, but I can't restrain myself: why is everybody calling that thing "Thermal Detonator" instead of "O2 Canister"??? We never saw a TK throwing this away.

But what we did see, is how a real "Thermal Detonator" looks like, when Leia held one at Jabba's palace.

Also the armor is meant to be fully closed and protecting the trooper from environmental influences. If so, there must be an O2 canister somewhere...

Just my 2 cents. Back to topic :P

• Like 3

Well, just like in our world of weapons, we have all kinds of different grenades. They come in all manner of shapes and sizes. <br><br>

But if you are looking for a Star Wars in universe Canon reference, then here you go. The Clone Wars. It was about Season 4 or 5 and in a nut shell, young Boba, and some bounty hunters were on a planet, Mace, Anakin, and R2 went there. The trap was sprung, and R2 pulled the "O2" canister from the back of a dead clone, turned a dial on it, and dropped it down a shaft, and KABOOM...... So after years of debate of what it was, in Canon it was shown on the Clones to be a "Thermal Detnator" type weapon, and it makes sense that the TK would follow suit, as it is very similar in size and shape, and placement on the armor. <br><br>

I was always on the O2 team myself, but the canon shows us different.

One thing is bugging me with this whole Thermal Detonator aka O2 canister thing. I keep reading how it's an abomination, how innacurate it is. Yet, I'm looking at TD from other makers and I'm seeing some VERY different styles...

Here's an RS:

f4b7b25a380efab922e76f57db330905.jpg

And here's an AP:

ddc04b24476cee836063f11b91c2fb2e.jpg

From what I understand, RS is the absolute best in terms of accuracy, so that would mean that the AP one is innacurate? If so, I hear no talk of it being some kind of monstrosity that shouldn't pass basic approval. I'm not saying it should be the case, it just feels odd like there's a double standard...

Iirr the Clones had something similar on their rear, which was used at one time as a detonator in a crashed Venator (Tano or R2 used it to fight some Bountyhunters).

Well, just like in our world of weapons, we have all kinds of different grenades. They come in all manner of shapes and sizes. <br><br>

But if you are looking for a Star Wars in universe Canon reference, then here you go. The Clone Wars. It was about Season 4 or 5 and in a nut shell, young Boba, and some bounty hunters were on a planet, Mace, Anakin, and R2 went there. The trap was sprung, and R2 pulled the "O2" canister from the back of a dead clone, turned a dial on it, and dropped it down a shaft, and KABOOM...... So after years of debate of what it was, in Canon it was shown on the Clones to be a "Thermal Detnator" type weapon, and it makes sense that the TK would follow suit, as it is very similar in size and shape, and placement on the armor. <br><br>

Yep, here's a pic:

r2td.jpg

Edited by Astyanax

as far as it goes, the FISD is about building costumes, and getting the details right.

end of line.

I love what you said Vern. I totally agree. I mean there are 111,000+ replys on the Anovos preorder thread, and the armor isn't even out yet. I bet when we get the armor it should (knock on wood) quite down. :)

(...)   R2 pulled the "O2" canister from the back of a dead clone, turned a dial on it, and dropped it down a shaft, and KABOOM...... So after years of debate of what it was, in Canon it was shown on the Clones to be a "Thermal Detnator" type weapon, and it makes sense that the TK would follow suit, as it is very similar in size and shape, and placement on the armor. <br><br>

Yep, here's a pic:

r2td.jpg

Dan and Bill, thank you very much for this great explanation. :duim:

New question: why are still people calling that thing "O2 Canister" instead of "Thermal Detonator"??? ;)

It seems to be an old debate. There's more context at these two threads:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22831-so-which-is-itan-o2-canister-or-a-thermal-detonator/

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31487-thermal-detonator-or/

But like Dan says, it looks like Dave Filoni finally made the decision for us when Artoo used it as a bomb...

Edited by Astyanax

All joking aside, I think many people are ignorant of the fact that this was introduced into the Clone Wars. I am not saying this as a negative thing, I am using the words in their true definition.If someone didn't watch the show, and didn't know about this, but had an old book that said the canister on the back was for O2, I can easily see the confusion. So I think it is a valid question. Thanks for the great picture. I was too lazy to find one.

One thing is bugging me with this whole Thermal Detonator aka O2 canister thing. I keep reading how it's an abomination, how innacurate it is. Yet, I'm looking at TD from other makers and I'm seeing some VERY different styles...

Here's an RS:

f4b7b25a380efab922e76f57db330905.jpg

And here's an AP:

ddc04b24476cee836063f11b91c2fb2e.jpg

From what I understand, RS is the absolute best in terms of accuracy, so that would mean that the AP one is innacurate? If so, I hear no talk of it being some kind of monstrosity that shouldn't pass basic approval. I'm not saying it should be the case, it just feels odd like there's a double standard...

Actually, from what I understand, the original mold for the detonator panel deteriorated very quickly along the successive pulls and became softer and softer. The RS detonator is one of those soft pulls, when the AP panel is closer to what the first pulls were when the mold was still in good condition.

Actually, from what I understand, the original mold for the detonator panel deteriorated very quickly along the successive pulls and became softer and softer. The RS detonator is one of those soft pulls, when the AP panel is closer to what the first pulls were when the mold was still in good condition.

That's weird, I mean to me they look like two completely different things! But knowing the history of ANH props, it wouldn't be that surprising!!! Edited by =Sv3=