ANOVOS ANH Thermal Detonator Problem

Hey guys:

As the discussions wage over in the main ANOVOS Preorder thread, that topic is shifting continuously. I thought it might be wise to capture this issue as its own thread, so that we as a community can discuss alternatives.

I'm sure there will be more issues with the ANOVOS armor to consider as more is revealed, but with the potential of hundreds or thousands of new 501st recruits showing up in coming months, it might be helpful for us to continue to track this.

This is the thermal detonator as offered by ANOVOS:

10.jpg

The biggest problem is that the metal clips are mounted incorrectly; they should be moved closer to the end caps. The good news is that this is not a barrier to 501st admission, and no GML should reject an application on this basis. But when it comes to EIB or Centurion status, we do have a problem:

For level two certification (if applicable):

• Thermal detonator belt clips are positioned with little to no gap between the clips and the end caps.

ANOVOS says the following:

As for the clips on the TD, these can be moved and relocated if need be.

It has been suggested by some members that the TD has other issues as well, as far as how the control panel looks, the use of philips-head screws, and the fact that we have not yet been able to measure it. I'd like to offer this thread as a means for tracking any ongoing issues with the TD, as well as a spot for modifications of alternatives. Is it worth replacing? Is it going to be easy to move the clips and hide the holes? What does this mean for the ANOVOS pre-assembled armor kits?

When we get our own armor, I hope we can post our own solutions here also.

So please jump in if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

Bill
Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

I think that the TD is perfectly fine.<br><br>

Yes, those clips will have to be moved for higher level approvals. No question about it.<br><br>

The faceplate is fine. The whole armor is a sharper sculpt, and swapping faceplates to meet a non existent standard is not what I would encourage anyone to do. Doing so would look more odd, as the rest of the details on the armor are quite sharp also. This is a very simple set of modifications to make. A bit of putty. Some paint, a screwdriver. Mission accomplished.<br><br>

The screws aren't even an issue unless you WANT to be more accurate. They aren't requirement.

• Like 4

Good idea to start this thread! I have a question, not sure if I missed it anywhere, but we build the kits right? So I assume that the TD comes in pieces and then we put it together the correct way, not the way Anovos shows us. Right?

Nope, according to the email, ANOVOS says it comes pre-built, as does the belt/holster:

Note that the helmet will also come completed (unless you ordered the helmet kit as a standalone item), and the cloth belt with real leather holster will come pre-assembled including the “thermal detonator” cylinder for the back of the belt. One less part to build!

I suspect that this means the TD might also be actually bolted to the belt, which means relocating the TD clips might expose holes in the belt. Not sure about this, though.

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 1

Good idea to start this thread! I have a question, not sure if I missed it anywhere, but we build the kits right? So I assume that the TD comes in pieces and then we put it together the correct way, not the way Anovos shows us. Right?

nevermind... didn't see that

Edited by cm325i

Nope, according to the email, ANOVOS says it comes pre-built, as does the belt/holster:

I suspect that this means the TD might also be actually bolted to the belt, which means relocating the TD clips might expose holes in the belt. Not sure about this, though.

Too bad. It would be better for both parties if it came incomplete. They would just send us the pieces and we put it together. Oh well.

Two cents:

$.01 -> Yes, the appropriate thing would be to contact ANOVOS & let them know before they make 2000 of them.

$.01 -> Even if they don't move them, it's not a hard issue to re-do compared to other EI type changes. Thus, I don't think it is much to worry about. Also, if ANOVOS gets feedback that tons of people are moving it, they will probably change.

----

$.02

• Like 3

Unscrew the phillip screws, relocate the clips, screw. Paint the screw heads in black for extra touch. Done. You can get your Centurion.

What the hell guys? Aren't you aware that most of us before ANOVOS needed to bend our own clips. Don't get lazy... 

• Like 3

Unscrew the phillip screws, relocate the clips, screw. Paint the screw heads in black for extra touch. Done. You can get your Centurion.

What the hell guys? Aren't you aware that most of us before ANOVOS needed to bend our own clips. Don't get lazy... 

Yikes! We just have questions...

• Like 1

Yeah, I know I'm getting rude... But honestly, all this ANOVOS stuff is getting ridiculous, and starts to wear me down. Sorry.

I don't blame you, there is a lot of hullabaloo going on. The funny thing is that we don't even have the kits in our hands yet. :)

Two cents:

$.01 -> Yes, the appropriate thing would be to contact ANOVOS & let them know before they make 2000 of them.

$.01 -> Even if they don't move them, it's not a hard issue to re-do compared to other EI type changes. Thus, I don't think it is much to worry about. Also, if ANOVOS gets feedback that tons of people are moving it, they will probably change.

----

$.02

They are aware of the concern, but unless we want to delay things further, it's better just to leave it and maybe they can adjust it on the next run. As mentioned, looks like a simple tweak that will only affect higher levels of approval. Glad that it meets base requirements out of the box.

• Like 2

I'm with Germain on this one. I am sure as the Anovos kits get rolled out there will be several inconsistencies that will have to be addressed and the owner will have to make their own decision on if they want to go down the path of making the required alterations to not only meet with the current CRL's, but to also achieve any higher certifications.

So much going out there about these kits, but unless I am mistaken, no one has received one yet to start documenting what will be shipped to the consumer (re: those of us in the costuming community).

• Like 1

They are aware of the concern, but unless we want to delay things further, it's better just to leave it and maybe they can adjust it on the next run. As mentioned, looks like a simple tweak that will only affect higher levels of approval. Glad that it meets base requirements out of the box.

Thanks - this is my belief too.

• Like 1

I think it would be fantastic if they change it on the next run and every run going forward. or just not build it. But wouldn't be a hugh deal if they did not.

Edited by Pancho

I would think it's not pre attached. too many differences in waist size to be sure it would be centered on the trooper

• Like 1

So if this is ok to be accepted into the 501st, then why can't the eFX helmet? Or Jedi Robe armor?

Thus far, we have pretty small issues with the ANOVOS armor, which can easily be corrected. Might be a question for a different thread, but I believe eFX and Jedi-Robe have bigger issues that are not so easily corrected.

Edited by Astyanax

The eFX PVC is very idealized and more symmetrical and more in line with what was supposed to be in universe. It's funny how the powers that be here in the 501st say that helmet can not meet the basic requirements because it looks too different from the movies, but here we have this thing, that looks nothing like the movies and it looks like that it will be ok to meet the basic requirements to be 501st.

I don't agree, I think they look just fine.

OK, fair enough, not to derail this thread (I hope), but I did some quick research and came to the following conclusions:

1. The eFX helmet is admissible to the 501st with quite a few modifications. Here's a great thread with some links explaining the process (no photos, unfortunately):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19146-master-replicas-helmet/

I'm sure there are other more current threads regarding the best approach.

2. Jedi-Robe costumes are recasts of FX armor with a recast of an SDS helmet. You probably know how the FISD feels about recasters.

Unfortunately, even though we might think things look fine, admission to the 501st is bound by the CRLs. That's why eFX doesn't cut it out of the box.

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 2

Oh yes, I get it now. But my point is still valid. I was trying to point out that eFX and Jedi Robe are not allowed in for a good reason. The jury seems to still be out as to whether this TD is a membership-killing abomination.

EDIT: It just occurred to me, though, that once we have one in-hand and can take measurements, it still could be exactly what you say, and could fall out of the CRL requirements. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Thankfully, replacing a TD shouldn't be that hard. Sorry for the slow uptake.

Edited by Astyanax