Canvas trooper belt

The canvas does have velcro at the back, about 6 inches. I've seen a belt somewhere where it fastened at the side using a snap at one end of the plastic front and then snapped to the canvas so there was no velcro at the back, just one full belt with no overlap.

To stop your belt from slipping, just add a couple of snaps to the inside of your belt and then a couple to your ab plate and your in business. The snaps are hidden by your belt and stops it from slipping.

-Paul.

excellent info Paul!!! Thank you man.

Now does anyone make one? This may be past my sewing skills.... (since well... I don't have any) :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have my TD screwed to my belt (one less thing I have to worry about ever falling off or being pulled off) I would like to keep this option, but didn't know if it would be possible with a canvas belt.

Mine is held on to the belt with snaps , but some teenage hooligan managed to get it off my belt a couple of weeks ago . I'm thinking of epoxy glueing some of those little bolts from an old mecano set into the male part of the snap , and through the hole on the middle of the female part . Should hold it together nicely .

Which leads me to ...

To stop your belt from slipping, just add a couple of snaps to the inside of your belt and then a couple to your ab plate and your in business. The snaps are hidden by your belt and stops it from slipping.

I've done this , and once you are all snugged in , you can't move the thing :)

Now does anyone make one? This may be past my sewing skills.... (since well... I don't have any) :)

At one point i was making them then i ran out of canvas lol. I do things a little diffrent with my suits

i tryed snaps for my TD but they didnt hold as strong as i would have hoped so i used flat head screws

Not very accurate but no can see anyway lol. So there is no worry of my belt falling even when some kid thinks it's funny to pull my holster really hard

Heres a short video clip of my canvas belt to give you an idea of how well canvas can hold a 2 pound resin E-11

heres a shot of my TD canvas belt holding 2 MP pouchs with out any problems ;)

DSC07017.jpg

I make canvas belts for sale, send me a PM :rolleyes:

teekaybelt026.jpg

Edit for pic

I am about to start work on my ROTJ belt...How wide were ROTJ belts, they look to be about 2 and 1/2 " wide rather than the ANH 3" wide...what do you all think?

Howay man, it's a bit too thin if you ask me like :lol:

Seriously, you can use the canvas for painting on which is similar to the blinds. I've used it and folded it up to four thickness and was pretty good actually. I have yet to find a decent thick canvas which will work on it's own and so far just use sheet cotton canvas wrapped around 3" elastic which looks quite good really.

-Paul.

I'd say your right Bernard. 2.5" wide and the material looks like polypro webbing rather than canvas. I could be wrong but the ROTJ tour suit's I've seen looked to have a slight sheen like polypro or nylon webbing.

-Paul.

Thanks Paul! I will make mine accordingly :salute:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to make my own canvas belt. Wanted to try whitening the natural color of the canvas duck cloth so I tried bleaching it--it worked sort of which lightened the color somewhat. Then I washed it and it shrunk ("duh" said my wife). It lost almost 8 inches when I washed it! I cut it the length of the standard cloth width of about 55" leaving it longer than I needed it. I'm currently re-assessing my plan and assembly steps for a planned sewing session this weekend.

Does anyone else pre-wash their canvas belt before sewing?

Thanks for your reply,

I was thinking - you can always wrap the canvas around an ABS belt base for most of the length. This will give it rigidity and still look like canvas. Many of the TD's who do this mod don't have to worry about it as they don't have holsters or thermal det's to attach.

Daetrin... that has got to be the best idea about this mod for me to do in here.

I?ll do it right away!

Thanks for the Ideas guys! you are all most helpful!!

Dargas

TK-1845

I'm trying to make my own canvas belt. Wanted to try whitening the natural color of the canvas duck cloth so I tried bleaching it--it worked sort of which lightened the color somewhat. Then I washed it and it shrunk ("duh" said my wife). It lost almost 8 inches when I washed it! I cut it the length of the standard cloth width of about 55" leaving it longer than I needed it. I'm currently re-assessing my plan and assembly steps for a planned sewing session this weekend.

Does anyone else pre-wash their canvas belt before sewing?

Thanks for your reply,

I have made a couple of bleached belts and had no problems. They come out a lovely just off white and is a lot different from the natural canvas colour that i usually make them in. It washed well on a 40 wash just a little fraying at the ends. I will try to get some photos up over the weekend up if you want to have a look.

Daetrin... that has got to be the best idea about this mod for me to do in here.

I?ll do it right away!

Thanks for the Ideas guys! you are all most helpful!!

Dargas

TK-1845

I only add the plastic for where the holster hangs, they is plenty of rigidity in the belt to start with. Depending on the thickness of the abs your using it may be too stiff. I will be interested in your findings none the less, so please post pictures when your done thanks.

I will in about a week!

Promess!!!

I think its just in the way you stitch the canvas around the plastic that?ll do the trick.

I plan on stitching the canvas two fold over the plastic to give it movielike thickness.

We?ll see how it turns out!

Ok i just finished two belts off today one has been bleached white, the other left natural. The only real difference between the two apart from the colour is that the bleached belt looks far more worn, having been through the washing machine.

teekaybelt001.jpg

teekaybelt002.jpg

teekaybelt003.jpg

teekaybelt004-1.jpg

teekaybelt005-1.jpg

Here's my bleached belt completed. Because it shrunk, I decided to add some canvas in the middle behind the ammo belt (see photo). You can clearly see the color difference between the bleached canvas and the natural color. In the second photo you can see on the right the 8" long plastic insert which I heated and curved. When I make the holster, I will install snaps to hold the holster straps and keep the plastic insert in place. I also decided to use industrial velcro to attach the canvas belt to the ab plate instead of snaps. I'm also going to remove the rivets I put in to hold the drop boxes and jus sew in the straps to the canvas that suspend the drop boxes.

It was an easy mod and the sewing wasn't bad.

Enjoy!

Canvasbeltassembled.jpg

Canvasbelt2.jpg

Canvasbelt1.jpg