Jump to content

Ukswrath's FOTK build thread


Recommended Posts

Sharing some resources I've found in my accumulating of materials.


For the 2" by ¼" neoprene for the belt insert, I found it by the foot on the famous auction site. Four feet plus shipping comes to less than US$9. Half the price of the chunk you found on Amazon, and some of us don't have the space for a whole lot of leftovers, no matter how potentially useful they may be down the road. :)

 

Instead of elastic cord for the crotch connector and shoulder tie-downs, I found a 10-foot spool of 3/32" EPDM rubber cord. About five bucks, and fits the rubbery theme of the black portions of the armor, IMO.

 

Hope these are helpful.

 

--Jonah

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well the boxes have begun to arrive. So excited       Tools: Exacto knifes (large & small) Lexan Scissors http://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Body-Scissors-Reamer-3-P

A submission photo, wishing I had a gun. Serious build tutorial update in the works.  

Submission pics  

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

Sharing some resources I've found in my accumulating of materials.


For the 2" by ¼" neoprene for the belt insert, I found it by the foot on the famous auction site. Four feet plus shipping comes to less than US$9. Half the price of the chunk you found on Amazon, and some of us don't have the space for a whole lot of leftovers, no matter how potentially useful they may be down the road. :)

 

Instead of elastic cord for the crotch connector and shoulder tie-downs, I found a 10-foot spool of 3/32" EPDM rubber cord. About five bucks, and fits the rubbery theme of the black portions of the armor, IMO.

 

Hope these are helpful.

 

--Jonah

When looking to save some dolla dollas those will definitely work :duim: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Well thanks a lot Tony. After reading all your build I think I need a FOTK.

I thought you might want to look at Bob Smith Industries. They are in Atascadero California and make many very high quality adhesives. Their rubber modified CA might be perfect for the FOTK gaskets. a5d87e729a06bc6890dea5fc6a7193f1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mikidymac said:

Well thanks a lot Tony. After reading all your build I think I need a FOTK.

I thought you might want to look at Bob Smith Industries. They are in Atascadero California and make many very high quality adhesives. Their rubber modified CA might be perfect for the FOTK gaskets. 

Glad I could be sales assistance lol. Interesting glue, too bad not too many want to ever wear rubber gaskets if they can help it lol. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Tony... It's been posted in a few other places online, but I haven't seen it on here. Since your build thread is kinda the benchmark a lot of people work from, I was wanting to get your take on these two pics from the Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor book. These are the only production photos I've run across of how the torso is connected to the belt. I'm pleased to see their fabric rigging inside the torso is almost exactly like yours. But as for the rest... Thoughts?

 

40719584002_cb1d564964_c.jpg

 

38951774500_2e2ca43ec7_z.jpg

 

Leather for those lower "tabs"? And in that second pic, the closest torso rig -- those white things along the top edge. What do you make of those?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peregrinus said:

Hey, Tony... It's been posted in a few other places online, but I haven't seen it on here. Since your build thread is kinda the benchmark a lot of people work from, I was wanting to get your take on these two pics from the Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor book. These are the only production photos I've run across of how the torso is connected to the belt. I'm pleased to see their fabric rigging inside the torso is almost exactly like yours. But as for the rest... Thoughts?

Leather for those lower "tabs"? And in that second pic, the closest torso rig -- those white things along the top edge. What do you make of those?

Hey Jonah, some of use were aware of this early on but were limited to the only armor available at the time which was Anovos. It's my understanding now there's a couple suppliers featuring the lower ab to belt connecting points, as well as other areas before unknown. The fabric rigging seen in the photos above and in my thread is the lower section of the suspension system that supports the thighs.

 

As for the white material along the top edge, it was used to secure the suspension system to the armor. I choose to not use it in my build instead used boning which is stronger. 

 

Have a great day :D  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Hey Jonah, some of use were aware of this early on but were limited to the only armor available at the time which was Anovos. It's my understanding now there's a couple suppliers featuring the lower ab to belt connecting points, as well as other areas before unknown.

OOOohhhh... That made me take another look at the top pic. Those tabs are part of the torso armor, projecting down. Am I now seeing that right? Hopefully that'll be something incorporated into ANOVOS' new version. If not, I'll go with what you did in this thread rather than scratchbuild the tabs -- I think it looks cleaner.

 

Quote

 The fabric rigging seen in the photos above and in my thread is the lower section of the suspension system that supports the thighs.

I mean the mesh and shoulder straps and shoulder slider pieces and such. I figured you had been privy to some of the inner workings, but the way you worded things, I was never really sure what was derived from the screen suits and what was your own invention for practicality. I really liked your torso liner and the way you did your straps, so it was a pleasant surprise to see how closely yours matches these. :)

 

Quote

As for the white material along the top edge, it was used to secure the suspension system to the armor. I choose to not use it in my build instead used boning which is stronger.  

That one I'm having trouble visualizing...

Link to post
Share on other sites

"OOOohhhh... That made me take another look at the top pic. Those tabs are part of the torso armor, projecting down. Am I now seeing that right?" Correct  

 

"Hopefully that'll be something incorporated into ANOVOS' new version. If not, I'll go with what you did in this thread rather than scratchbuild the tabs -- I think it looks cleaner." I haven't see or heard anything from the Anovos camp stating that area will change.

 

"I mean the mesh and shoulder straps and shoulder slider pieces and such. I figured you had been privy to some of the inner workings, but the way you worded things, I was never really sure what was derived from the screen suits and what was your own invention for practicality. I really liked your torso liner and the way you did your straps, so it was a pleasant surprise to see how closely yours matches these. :)Yea obviously I had a litte help lol

 

"That one I'm having trouble visualizing..."

https://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Sewing-MaxPro-Lingerie-More-Black/dp/B01GV1MQOO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520877549&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=boning+for+sewing&psc=1

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Oh, I know that boning. I have a roll, myself, and am intending to use it for my build (in addition to the things I originally bought it for). What I'm trying to wrap my head around is what those white bits are, and how they relate to the whole thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

Oh, I know that boning. I have a roll, myself, and am intending to use it for my build (in addition to the things I originally bought it for). What I'm trying to wrap my head around is what those white bits are, and how they relate to the whole thing.

Are we talking about the same area? Very top of the armor, white? Sewn into the inner mesh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Are we talking about the same area? Very top of the armor, white? Sewn into the inner mesh?

Yeah. I'm trying to parse what I'm seeing. Is that, like, a 1" wide strip of something glued around the top with half sticking up, and the black diagonals are very loose stitching? All in all, I think the top and bottom you have on your torso rig are far tidier and make more sense. I'm trying to grok what they did so I can make the most informed choice possible in my own build.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

Yeah. I'm trying to parse what I'm seeing. Is that, like, a 1" wide strip of something glued around the top with half sticking up, and the black diagonals are very loose stitching? All in all, I think the top and bottom you have on your torso rig are far tidier and make more sense. I'm trying to grok what they did so I can make the most informed choice possible in my own build.

From other photos I've seen I'm guessing it's some type of material sewn to the netting but glued to the armor

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harbinger said:

Notched foam padding maybe?

It's anyone's guess. I've seen some close up photos and to be honest with touching it I would have no idea. To me it looks like a type of vinyl.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

One (hopefully) last thing, and then I think I've got all my bases covered. I'm asking here, because you're pretty much the FOTK guru. :D The spats... Are they attached to the shins (and, if so, how), or separate pieces that get strapped on after the shins and stay in place just with gravity and friction?

 

--Jonah

Link to post
Share on other sites

The canon spats at glued to the shins or at least held in place with some type of epoxy.

 

I use 3 small strips of Velcro. A 1/4" x 1" in the front and the other two left and right rear, evenly spaced. Place the Velcro at the top edge, obviously ;) 

 

On another note I'm not THE Guru, there are plenty others but thanks for the kind words and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peregrinus said:

*takes notes* I can work with that... Now my armor just needs to frikkin' show up. With nothing to actually work on, I'm kind of obsessively over-engineering this stupid thing... :6:

ah hahaha :laugh1:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ukswrath changed the title to Ukswrath's FOTK build thread
  • ukswrath pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tony, i just have a quick question...I want to know how much it cost total for all the tools and supplies you got for build up this master piece. I am a new trooper but I am comparing the Anovos Standard and the Premier kit. But since I don't have enough space for build up, I was wondering if i should changed into Premier package but first want to do  compare, Thank :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shygor520 said:

Hi Tony, i just have a quick question...I want to know how much it cost total for all the tools and supplies you got for build up this master piece. I am a new trooper but I am comparing the Anovos Standard and the Premier kit. But since I don't have enough space for build up, I was wondering if i should changed into Premier package but first want to do  compare, Thank :D

Hi, tools? maybe $30-40. If you want to get fancy you could easily spend 100s. If you've never built armor before you'll be just like the rest of us. It will take time, patience and yes space to build it in. I have yet to see the premier kit and so I can't really comment on the accuracy or how it will fit on your body. Building it yourself allows you to build it to your liking.

 

Hope this helps :duim::D.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Hi, tools? maybe $30-40. If you want to get fancy you could easily spend 100s. If you've never built armor before you'll be just like the rest of us. It will take time, patience and yes space to build it in. I have yet to see the premier kit and so I can't really comment on the accuracy or how it will fit on your body. Building it yourself allows you to build it to your liking.

 

Hope this helps :duim::D.   

Hi, this is a great detail you gave me! I believe I will find my friend someone who have a studio and some tools to do the build up, fitting and such...there always an options I believe:salute:

Thank you sooo much!! :peace:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...