ROMFX vs. Trik Toys Mini Amp

Hi. Just curious. Does anyone have either of these and how are they? Are they worth the extra expense? Once I do get my TK armour I'd like to mod it out with some type of amp system. I can get a mini-amp circuit board locally for about $20. But I will not have the static-burst unless I write my own programming and somehow imprint it onto an Eprom on the board. So...$20 vs. $120.

I think I know the answer..the static burst makes the whole thing. But the added expense topped with the price of armour. Well, lets just say my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for Star Wars. So I think you know where I'm going with that.

Actually, does anyone know of another unit which offers the burst at a lower cost? I've only found these two so far.

Thanks...

DD.

Check out this thread.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

PM sent

My big issue with any of the voice amp setups is the "static burst". If you watch ANH it is not a burst but a click, viewed on Tattoine in Mos Eisley and also at teh tractor beam. The click is undeniable. I can see it being all to difficult to put in a click vs the static.

If you are making your own static by blowing across the microphone ou could also make the click by inhaling and using your tongue on the roof of your mouth. I am a pilot and played around this week while I was flying. You can easily make the click after a little practice.

Of course it would be much nicer to have it auto after you finished speaking.

I've built a few different types. The stattic burst isn't that important to me, so my favorite system is the analog amp with analog speakers.

I was turned on to this amp by a local friend:

TTyVjVO.jpg

Two 8hom speakers would rock with this amp. It's smaller than the radio shack board, which I can not discuss any more. Once I play with this amp, tweak it a little and decipher the appropriate resistor, I will disclose the full mod right here on FISD.

TK4205 said:

I've built a few different types. The stattic burst isn't that important to me, so my favorite system is the analog amp with analog speakers.

I was turned on to this amp by a local friend:

Two 8hom speakers would rock with this amp. It's smaller than the radio shack board, which I can not discuss any more. Once I play with this amp, tweak it a little and decipher the appropriate resistor, I will disclose the full mod right here on FISD.

What a tease TK-4205. Watch this with great interest I will. ;) I was disappointed like many when you had to halt that mean setup of yours. Hope your new system works as good as the first one looked. That is bar none the sweetest system I have seen.

Static burst is kinda cool, but none of the troopers IIRC had one in ANH so it's not really a requirement. I don't recall it really being used until TROOPS.

My big issue with any of the voice amp setups is the "static burst". If you watch ANH it is not a burst but a click, viewed on Tattoine in Mos Eisley and also at teh tractor beam. The click is undeniable. I can see it being all to difficult to put in a click vs the static.

If you are making your own static by blowing across the microphone ou could also make the click by inhaling and using your tongue on the roof of your mouth. I am a pilot and played around this week while I was flying. You can easily make the click after a little practice.

Of course it would be much nicer to have it auto after you finished speaking.

I think its a mixture of a click and a static burst. Funny, all the clips I've searched and remember have the click/burst before they talk. The famous 'Look Sir, droids' line has a slight burst after the officer speaking (The tracks go off in this direction) and then a static burst before - "Look sir droids".

Look Sir Droids

Now I'm confused. Eitherway, its sounds pretty good.

DD.

Nice find Chef!!!

I've added myself to their mailing list! :D

WOW. If you guys don't know Erv he rocks. He makes the best lightsaber soundboard ever. His quality and customer focus are superb. If he is making a voice amp system I would expect it to be the best.

Erv makes all his boards by hand. Last month he came out with I think 60 saber sound boards and they all sold in about 2 hours time. Unfortunately I missed my chance by about 15 minutes.

My guess is with this board you won't be disappointed. Any you can customize the sounds with the SD card so static burst click whatever you like. He is also working on a blaster core soundboard that works great in an E-11. If you don't care about accuracy to the movie he even made it work with a little LED screen that shows ammo use and radar as well. You can even put in Aurebesh.

Erv you rock keep us posted.

• 1 month later...
can any one tell me more about the one from Plecterlabs,,,,,i watched the demo and it sounds great,,just want to know if anybody out there is using one,,, and if its worth the price???? i just need some info..

darkhammer...

And is it analog or digital? One thing RomFx has going for it is that it's digital. I have to say that it's hands down the best sounding board I've ever heard, but with the current exchange rate the price is over $300 and out of reach for most of us poor Yanks.

And is it analog or digital? One thing RomFx has going for it is that it's digital. I have to say that it's hands down the best sounding board I've ever heard, but with the current exchange rate the price is over $300 and out of reach for most of us poor Yanks.

yeah i think the price will be around the same for the PlecterLab after shippin and all that good stuff..if i could even get on the list...can you send me a PM on the TCI there Amish..???