Clint's Build Thread (TK-61281)

camprandall

i'm thinking about trying to add snaps on the gaskets instead of velcro. easier to swap out gasket types and still pretty strong connection, depending on the quality of the snaps of course.

i'm thinking about trying to add snaps on the gaskets instead of velcro. easier to swap out gasket types and still pretty strong connection, depending on the quality of the snaps of course.

Functionally, I think snaps are solid enough, especially if each tab had two, but my problem is that it's hard to have the gaskets be in an inflexible position. You have to get them perfectly aligned and spaced with snaps whereas with velcro there is some adjustment. Of course, one you glue your velcro, it doesn't make that much difference either way, but snaps have to be figured out a bit in advance. 

I can't wait for my latex gaskets to arrive and see how they work! I love everything else about the suit.

One thing we noticed with snaps and the gaskets was that you will have to be very careful when you want to take them off, the snaps seem to be sliding through the rubber gaskets quite easily. 

One thing we noticed with snaps and the gaskets was that you will have to be very careful when you want to take them off, the snaps seem to be sliding through the rubber gaskets quite easily. 

Yeah, I saw that too on the shoulder pieces. I used pretty large washers as you can see in my pics because otherwise it was very easy to pull them through.

My latex gaskets are on the way so I'll be sure to post some pics and feedback soon!

• Like 1

Hey there,

Chiming in on the knee gaskets. When we get to modifying the gaskets (again), we're going to follow the route of velcro the knee gaskets to the armour. I just have to double-check that I actually have a knee when doing that, or if it looks like one column/tube of armour and rubber. If so, I really will look like robby the robot! :P

-krista :atat:

• Like 1

Ok, here is some progress to report.

I immediately noticed one significant difference with the shape of these in that they are tapered and the knee and elbow gaskets are the same size. This means I kept the full gasket for the knees, which are a bit tight, but had well more than enough for the elbows. I ended up cutting about two inches off the elbows to fit it properly.

Elbow piece with the end cut off. This means I don't have a glue flap, but it's easy enough to use a scrap.

20150516_203251_zpsmvfin9jq.jpg

Because the cut off flap would have added extra thickness, I had to raise the other side up with a piece of scrap latex so that the ridges were much closer in height.

20150516_203320_zpsh6db8wif.jpg

Gluing!

20150516_220710_zpsuizqdb6w.jpg

Piece I removed (after gluing)

20150517_083059_zpsfthmi935.jpg

Here's a shoulder and elbow with velcro. I cut out notches so that the elbow gasket and shoulder fit together a bit like tetris, leaving less overlap of rubber inside the armor.

20150517_082437_zpsir48cqck.jpg

20150517_082611_zpsqa9fjmal.jpg

And now what you really care about. Here's my elbow flexibility with the new gaskets! The armor itself is still limiting as the forearms digs into my hand still, but the flexibility and room inside is much better in both the shoulder and elbow. I suspect it won't be quite as hot, although it's still rubber. I can't wait to have the whole torso finished later so I can see what the real flexibility is since that chest/back piece limits you quite a bit regardless of the gaskets.

20150517_075242_zps8xp5gbje.jpg

Edited by camprandall

While I work on the other arm, this is the leg tightness I was referring to. It fits, but barely. I will definitely have to velcro it to the undersuit because there's no way it will stretch far enough to velcro to the front and back of the thigh. I'm 175 - 180 so anyone bigger might find it too uncomfortable.

20150516_214737_zpskysutk1q.jpg

20150516_214751_zpsgbdbsja2.jpg

Edited by camprandall

Ok, got the upper body done. Whew! So here's some feedback and then some pics.

1) The flexibility is considerably better. I used to have to strain until I heard cracking to even touch my head and I can do it much easier now. Taking the helmet on and off is no problem!

2) The whole suit still feels stuffy, but it's really nice having that flexibility and a bit more breathability in the joints. Even just walking around feels nicer because my arms feel less like stuffed sausages.

3) Getting them on is just as difficult for me because the very flexible latex catches my undersuit and wants to pull. It's not as tight, which is great, but still awkward.

Overall, this was well worth the time and money because I feel like I can last longer in a troop and it's going to be much more comfortable moving around. I also like that I can easily adjust my helmet and remove when I want without pain/strain. Overall, this is just a compressed stuffy suit and the forearms still dig into my wrists because they're too long, but the new gaskets have greatly improved the comfort! Nice job Wyatt!

20150517_135829_zps1tjzd9hi.jpg

20150517_135911_zpsguhbmqci.jpg

20150517_135838_zpsnveim1s2.jpg

20150517_135851_zpsvyes1d3t.jpg

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 5

Haha, nice photos!

As for the leg tightness, I agree - now I know what women go through in trying to get a set of pantyhose on that are just a bit too small. I'm actually considering greasing up my legs with baby oil before putting these on next time. :blink:

Still, the good news in that is that (1) I have plenty of coverage at the knees with these longer gaskets (I'm 6'1"), (2) I don't require Velcro (or any other means) to keep the leg gaskets in place, and (3) even with the knee plates attached (I use Chicago screws that attach to the inside of the knee armor via nylon snap plates) I can still slip in and out of the thigh armor - which makes getting dressed MUCH simpler than having to put on the thigh armor first, then the knee gaskets with the knee plates attached. I'm also going to try wearing bike shorts as opposed to full-on tights and see if that helps, since you really only need the undersuit coverage at the hips.

But I couldn't agree more - it was money well spent. Hopefully all of the TFA troopers can get their hands on a set of these.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been debating whether or not to attach some kind of velcro to keep the knee gasket attached to the underarmor because I'm not sure if it would eventually slide down while walking around. It certainly doesn't feel like it. As for assembly, yeah I was putting the whole legs on as a sleeve since it takes forever for me to re-attach the gaskets where I want them to the armor pieces. Now for the legs I'll probably just slide on the gaskets, then slide into the thighs and pop on the shins. It probably also means that we might have to worry about the direction of the shins if they aren't attached to anything, but maybe the boots will take care of that.

Ok, got the knees done last night. I found that after a few minutes of walking, they started to slide down so I added a small velcro tab to the top to keep it from doing that, but otherwise it's not connected to the armor. I also added padding inside the armor in the front and back to keep the armor from jiggling since the older gaskets were thicker.

20150519_215858_zpsnf1rk7g9.jpg

20150519_215620_zpsxjraa1bs.jpg

20150519_220428_zpsdjx6awdd.jpg?dkfjd

Edited by camprandall
  • Like 2

This will definitely be one of my go-to build threads when mine arrives. Great job to you and your crew. :jc_doublethumbup:  

Glad to be of help! It's one of the saving graces of that crazy rushed chaotic build process. Being able to help others is a good silver lining because I've avoided a lot of problems myself on other suits because of people's build threads. Troopers helping troopers!

• Like 2

Hmm with my thin legs, I'm not sure I should go that route.. it would remove the idea/impression of having the same width legs/arms as other TFA troopers if I did. I think I'll have to simply continue to stick it to the armor instead.

Hmm with my thin legs, I'm not sure I should go that route.. it would remove the idea/impression of having the same width legs/arms as other TFA troopers if I did. I think I'll have to simply continue to stick it to the armor instead.

You probably won't be able to stick it to the armor because it's not big enough around. I've got it at max size and there's still a sizeable gap all the way around and they're tight on my knees. I think they need to be made longer (to create a bigger diameter) to correct that issue.