The Force Awakens Stormtrooper CRL

Darth Aloha

Clint/Eric, what are your thoughts about requiring a Balaclava. Seems the troopers in the behind the scenes clips showed them and the shape of the helmet allows the ability to see above the neck seal where a Balaclava would mask the wearer. 

I think there's a valid point there, but I'm not sure about requiring a specific solution unless we knew they all wore them for the movie. Maybe at least adding that no hair or skin should be visible around the neck area and then for those for whom the neck seal / helmet fit doesn't cover it, then a balaclava is in order. 

I think there's a valid point there, but I'm not sure about requiring a specific solution unless we knew they all wore them for the movie. Maybe at least adding that no hair or skin should be visible around the neck area and then for those for whom the neck seal / helmet fit doesn't cover it, then a balaclava is in order. 

This sounds like a good compromise to me. I use my balaclava as I have long hair and it's easier to tuck all of it into the fabric. 

Alrighty, again My reference was from 6 different actors in the behind the scenes all wearing one which is the only other bucket off if TKs we have seen versus the hero Finn not wearing it. No other buckets off shots or up angles yet to compare.

I look forward to further research.

Thanks for considering

Honestly I don't know Shana. It seems a little too detailed for a CRL based on the others in my opinion as I can't imagine not getting approved for that. I'll put a comment in there so we don't lose track of that issue.

Keep in mind that some GMLs follow the CRL down to punctuation, and if they see ANY variance between the doc and costume, they reject. We should be very careful not to include anything that we don't absolutely want to be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Hi all,

First-  a standing ovation for the amount of work that's already gone into the CRL! I especially love having the pictures to accompany the descriptions for those more-visiually inclined folks. Well done!

The following points are simply for consideration if they haven't already been decided:

- Gloves: Is the idea that the current minimum standard does not have the black double stitching around particular areas of the forefinger and thumb? 

- Gloves: Since the pictures only show the tops of the hands, does the minimum standard for approval not require the particularly shaped pads on the palm?

- Boots: If the minimum standards include the currently approved boots for OT TK, it would be good to specify "OT TK" vs "other TK" such as "TFA TK" and so on. (This assumes, based on prior posts, that TFA stormtroopers will also have a TK designation.)

- Gaskets: The main difference I can easily see in rubber/silicone/latex vs. cloth-only is the visible weave of the fabric. Therefore is the idea that the current minimum standard will allow for gaskets that have a visible, yet shiny weave?

Profound thanks for all the hard work. I'm very much looking forward to having a CRL that many people can attain, still look great and do good works while portraying an evil, heartless, soul-crushing First Order Empire. (Just kidding, we all know the fumes from painting the TFA TK or just the helmet make us see happy-trippy-rainbows and unicorns! j/k)    :happy and cheerful birthday:   If there's other stuff to get done, I'm happy to help in whatever way I can that would be useful to the TFA TKs. Thanks again for all the many efforts!

Slurry! -Krista  :atat:

Edited by kme1682
  • Like 2

Hey Krista!

I honestly don't know about the gloves myself. It seems that the pads and stitching would be more accurate, but it also seems that we often don't get that detailed on the CRL. I'll leave it to the more experienced folks (aka Eric and Brian) to figure that out because I'm really not sure.

Good point on the boot designation!

As for the gaskets, I think maybe we shouldn't get into the detail level of saying whether you can tell they are sewn since the point is whether they retain the look. I would think the GMLs can decide that because some sewed gaskets look much more accurate than others.

Hi all,

First-  a standing ovation for the amount of work that's already gone into the CRL! I especially love having the pictures to accompany the descriptions for those more-visiually inclined folks. Well done!

The following points are simply for consideration if they haven't already been decided:

- Gloves: Is the idea that the current minimum standard does not have the black double stitching around particular areas of the forefinger and thumb? 

- Gloves: Since the pictures only show the tops of the hands, does the minimum standard for approval not require the particularly shaped pads on the palm?

- Boots: If the minimum standards include the currently approved boots for OT TK, it would be good to specify "OT TK" vs "other TK" such as "TFA TK" and so on. (This assumes, based on prior posts, that TFA stormtroopers will also have a TK designation.)

- Gaskets: The main difference I can easily see in rubber/silicone/latex vs. cloth-only is the visible weave of the fabric. Therefore is the idea that the current minimum standard will allow for gaskets that have a visible, yet shiny weave?

Profound thanks for all the hard work. I'm very much looking forward to having a CRL that many people can attain, still look great and do good works while portraying an evil, heartless, soul-crushing First Order Empire. (Just kidding, we all know the fumes from painting the TFA TK or just the helmet make us see happy-trippy-rainbows and unicorns! j/k)    :happy and cheerful birthday:   If there's other stuff to get done, I'm happy to help in whatever way I can that would be useful to the TFA TKs. Thanks again for all the many efforts!

Slurry! -Krista  :atat:

Krista... a few answers. 

I don't think the base level glove should have specific requirements for basic approval. If they kinda look like the black and white gloves I'm happy. We're going for lots of TFA TKs approved rather than screen accuracy. 

I think the fabric gaskets are acceptable as long as they're kinda shiny and rubber-ish a la ANH TK neckseal.

And boots? I am undecided about the ANH TK boots. I may toss that one to LMOface. 

My hope is to start getting this stuff on the legion site over the next week or so. 

-Eric

• Like 1

Spotted a typo. :P .... I highlighted it in red

It should be "Knee"

Knee Gaskets
For 501st approval:

• Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges
  • The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin

Also on the shins, the two verticle boxes are "think" boxes? Is that what they are called?

• The wearer's left outside shin includes two vertical think boxes that are seamless.

Nice job though, well done on all the hard work that went into creating this CRL.

I need to get busy finishing up my kit.  :duim:

-Zaphod

Spotted a typo. :P .... I highlighted it in red

It should be "Knee"

Knee Gaskets

For 501st approval:

• Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges
  • The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin

Also on the shins, the two verticle boxes are "think" boxes? Is that what they are called?

• The wearer's left outside shin includes two vertical think boxes that are seamless.

Nice job though, well done on all the hard work that went into creating this CRL.

I need to get busy finishing up my kit.  :duim:

-Zaphod

Thanks man. Also shut up and finish Pete. 

Clint? Think boxes?

This CRL entry has been reviewed by the detachment staff and the LMO team. Costumes of this type must be submitted to the LMO team via the GML forum at 501st.com for approval.

Eric, does this mean we're cleared to submit pics for approval now?

Not yet but soon. I want to get with Brian and go over the wording a bit and add the images this weekend. Then it is up to him when he wants to take submissions. 

-Eric

• Like 1