AP Armour with ANH Centurion as Goal - Build Thread

This looks really good- congrats on getting the finish line within your sight!  Are you able to tighten up the strapping anymore, to get the kidney and ab piece to meet?  What you have will easily get you approved, but for the higher levels you might need to make the small adjustment.   Great build and thread.  

• Like 1

Funny you should ask, those are already SUPER tight, hehehe  BUT, that is me pretty relaxed.  If I stand straight and suck it in a little, I can get almost to touch.  It can almost definitely get under the requisite 1/2 inch, I hope.  Believe it or not, it's not so much my belly, as it is my rib cage.  Thanks for the compliments on the the build and thread, and all the encouragement all the way through.  You guys have really made posting worth my while, and hopefully others will benefit from it!

I just realized I didn't post the measurement guide I used for my holster placement.  This is a guide from Bill Hag again (thanks Bill!).  One thing to note, and which I almost screwed up.  If you look on the right where it shows 2.5 cm, it is from the edge of the canvas belt to the centre of the lower Chicago screw, not the gap from belt to holster.  The gap from belt to holster is 1.5cm and the space from edge of holster to middle of Chicago screw is 1cm, I BELIEVE.  I cannot say for sure, but that's how I did it, and everything appears to be in proportion.  I in no way can say for sure, but it appears that is where the arrow is pointing and it just looks right (see my holster pics above).  I should also state that there is no "official" distance that I know of, so this is just a guide, so one way or the other is not WRONG, I don't believe.  Maybe some veterans can weigh in on this.  I just wanted to make sure I included his excellent visual guide for you to put away for when the time comes.

holster%20placement%20to%20belt_zpsecgxg

DUDE!!!  Your entire build thread is a MASSIVE inspiration to me.

I appreciate your STELLAR attention to detail and all the tips you posted along the way.

I've been building AP armor for well over a year and YOUR thread is helping me finish.

THANKS DAN!!!  You're THE MAN!!!  :)

• Like 3

You take that back! The man is a genius. A handsome genius!!

You have now proven that you have never met or spoken to Clamps ever.

-Eric

• Like 2

Jebus. How did I miss such an epic build thread?!

Aren't you done yet Dan(ny)? :P Niagara Falls Comic Con is creeping closer!

• Like 1

Another update!

I put some velcro on the back of my boots to stop scuffing and in the front of my boots and the front of my shins to stop rotation . . . 

2015-05-26%2010.18.00_zpsd3ggvneu.jpg

2015-05-26%2010.17.26_zpswqr8rnmc.jpg

2015-05-26%2010.17.37_zps2turonj2.jpg

Then I decided to reinforce the sniper plate as I was told by Clamps (who I have met, and find simply delightful) that it takes quite a beating.  I decided to try something a little different.  Instead of reinforcing it with more ABS or silicone or fibreglass, I used E6000.  This should give it some flexibility, strength, and satisfies my fetish for the stuff.  We'll see if it works at all . . . 

2015-05-26%2010.18.31_zpssdyrxbs1.jpg

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but my aker and iComm do NOT fit in my chest, so taking some advice from a few Clone Troopers, I stuck it in my back plate.  First I taped it in with good old Canadian hockey tape (available at your local Canadian Tire store) to make sure it would sit okay.  It seems all right so then I put in velcro.  

2015-05-26%2010.44.22_zpsorelp5rj.jpg

2015-05-26%2010.57.41_zps5jpzxcio.jpg

So then I put on my chest and back assembly and I tested it . . . 

https://youtu.be/cVhYfJv5JEs

I ordered a throat mic, which should work a little better.  Dog doesn't even respect my authorita . . . TK voice needs work!!

• Like 2

Another update!

I put some velcro on the back of my boots to stop scuffing and in the front of my boots and the front of my shins to stop rotation . . . 

Then I decided to reinforce the sniper plate as I was told by Clamps (who I have met, and find simply delightful) that it takes quite a beating.  I decided to try something a little different.  Instead of reinforcing it with more ABS or silicone or fibreglass, I used E6000.  This should give it some flexibility, strength, and satisfies my fetish for the stuff.  We'll see if it works at all . . . 

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but my aker and iComm do NOT fit in my chest, so taking some advice from a few Clone Troopers, I stuck it in my back plate.  First I taped it in with good old Canadian hockey tape (available at your local Canadian Tire store) to make sure it would sit okay.  It seems all right so then I put in velcro.  

So then I put on my chest and back assembly and I tested it . . . 

https://youtu.be/cVhYfJv5JEs

I ordered a throat mic, which should work a little better.  Dog doesn't even respect my authorita . . . TK voice needs work!!

Looking awesome, BTW your Youtube link is a dog licking his paw.  :laugh1:

I know, you need sound.  I'm talking to her.  That's Goji (Gojira).  She has no respect at all.

OH HAHAHAHA :laugh1: my speakers are always off. I guess that would help huh?

• Like 1

Wow! Your armor looks awesome! 

I would agree the ab/kidney plates should be closer together. Perhaps you may need to add shims if your chest is too big? I couldn't tell if the elastic strap was on your shoulder bridges or not. The left bridge seemed to be lifted rather high off your shoulder.  Not an issue, but it could snag on something and snap off.

Looking forward to seeing your profile with a TK ID real soon!  :duim:

Thanks Greg!!  Your eye is incredible.  Yes, the elastic slipped off that shoulder!!!  I am in the process of tightening them up.

I am gonna see if I can suck it in a little to get those two sides together.  Maybe I can make even tighter elastics.  I can still breathe as is . . . means I can make it tighter, hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this build thread got away from me fast.

What a fantastic job you have done, and you totally rock that AP armor.

Congrats man, know get all over that EIB application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking awesome. :duim:

On another note, looking at the two versions of TKs side by side the classic looks like the little brother to the TFA instead of the opposite lol  :D

The average height goes up all the time.  When I was a kid my height was average, by high school I was 2" under the average, and now I'm like 4" under the average.  I figure by 30 ABY this is about right, hehehe