HWT vs. TD

I'm curious as to what, if any, difference there is between the Heavy Weapons Trooper and the Sandtrooper? I understand that one requires heavy weathering and the other not, but is there any other difference, or is the Sandtrooper essentially a HWT who's just been stuck in the desert?

They are completely different costumes  The sandtroopers have a similar base armor with much different details. They wore a diamond shaped sniper plate on the shin, they had no ribbed shoulder bridges, they had no center ab button plate, the left side button plate they had only contained 3 buttons compared to the 4 on a TK, they had no drop boxes on their belts...etc....

The HWT's armor is a base TK and all the details that go with that style of armor although this costume has no drop boxes either. The weathering is slight and should NOT be the stained look as you see on the Sandtroopers. The backpack also differed as the HWT was based off the video game and not the Sandtrooper backpack. Best to look at the CRL's for these costumes to see pictures of the differences to clarify.http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_hwt  http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TD_sandtrooper

--------------

They just forgot to add the HWT to their list. Just my personal opinion of course. ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I have a question too. Why do we need weathering on our armour? Especially a TD.

I understand that in the movies sandtroopers are dirty....but they obviously didn't start out like that.

The empire doesn't issue 'dirty armour' to their soldiers Im sure of it. 

So if thats the case, then why are we forced in a way to dirty our armour?

Wouldn't it be better if the armour had a naturally worn look from trooping or just normal wear?

If there was an option to build a clean TD...and let it wear and weather naturally...I would so jump on it. 

Blasters too for that matter. Why do they have to be weathered? In the movies they mostly look freshly painted....unless you do the Blu-Ray screen shot and enlarge. But I was never able to do that at the movies to check. Even with VHS they still looked perfectly painted to me....

A lot of good questions. The simplest answer is that they are what they are. I know that sounds stupid however in the movie you don't see the transition just the result. Clean troopers are TKs and the dirty troopers are the TDs. If you visit the MEPD.net website you'll learn about weathering and the process used to create the TD look requires a lot of blending of earth tones to recreate the look of the armor in the movie. It's very detailed work. If you visit the site you can actually see my SWAT approval post and the detailing that went into my armor to make it look screen accurate.

Edited by ukswrath

Empire TKs don't require any weathering. HWTs require very light weathering because in the game they are in heavy combat. I like to think of the TK as Air Force, a HWT as Navy and the TD as Army or Marine lol

Edited by ukswrath