Episode VII Trailer Reported To Post At 10:15 EST

Dark PWF

I was NOT going to watch the teaser because I didn't want to spoil the experience of seeing the movie...

After the teaser was released, a LARGE number of posts went up on the FISD, RPF and R2 Builders (Astromech has been down for upgrades for nearly two weeks).

I figured it was safe to read people's comments and found out quickly there were no spoilers...so I watched the teaser.

Then, I watched it again with all the lights out and the Bose CRANKED to wall rattling volume.

AWESOME.

From the many comments I've read, it seems most troopers are resistant to changes - it's original TK or nothing for them.

I LIKE seeing changes in the SW universe, especially when they are done well and show an evolution of the original, because that's what would happen in a real universe.

I like the TK changes because some of those changes MAKE SENSE - like switching the magazine to the opposite side and integrating the "holster" into the armor.

I also like the white accents (for contrast), but I think I could do without the chrome details...

Chrome doesn't make ANY sense on a tactical weapon, but then again, shiny white armor doesn't really do anything to conceal your presence either... 

All in all, it appears the production crew has worked hard to pay hommage to the original props while still providing a believable evolution.

In real life, there was nothing wrong with the M16, but the U.S. military still evolved to the M4.  It happens, no matter how much we love the originals.

Astromech guys are dismayed over the "soccer ball" droid...

Most are quite passionate about it being the stupidest droid they've ever seen.

Some have commented since there are no seams on the ball, it's mechanically impossible and CGI has ruined these movies.

They've already torn it down and posted comparison screen shots much like the E-11 comparison above.

I say, what if the dome is held in place magnetically? Or some other way?

The spaceship scenes are breathtaking!

X-wings skimming the water and throwing up rooster tails?  I want that shot as a FULL WALL mural.

Glad to see they retained classic configurations, with a couple updates here and there (like the replacement radar dish on the Falcon).

Who's flying the Falcon?

Why is all this action taking place in the atmosphere and not in space?

Is the X-wing pilot shot paying hommage to Jek Porkins?

I like the mental exercise of having new things to think about in the SW universe.

That's kind of the point of entertainment, right?

To occupy my thoughts with make-believe things?

To invoke conversations with my forum friends and family?

To plant the seed that I need to buy new SW merchandise?

If everything stayed the same, I wouldn't have much to think about or buy...

So many questions - TRULY an exciting time to be involved in this hobby!

Edited by usaeatt2
  • Like 2

I'm guessing they made the Holsters functional, but I don't quite understand if it's just through magnets?
15726437798_59e7968c97_o.gif

Some of the "Clasps/Clamps/Clips" or whatever do seem to be functional in that they cover (Velcro/3M-Strip/Other) seams (The Spats had a Wardrobe Malfunction) and others do seem to only be there to give the illusion of functionality (if the Inner Seams on the Thighs and Calves are Clamshelled and the Outer Seams are Glued Shut):

15888106306_b17db651cb_o.gif

And lastly, (forgive the crude drawing) it looks like the white on the gloves isn't limited to the Trigger Finger and runs from Thumb to Index Finger on both hands:

15727877989_59efccacbb_o.jpg

- Berbs

Edited by Berbs42
  • Like 2

I'm guessing they made the Holsters functional, but I don't quite understand if it's just through magnets?

Some of the "Clasps/Clamps/Clips" or whatever do seem to be functional in that they cover (Velcro/3M-Strip/Other) seams (The Spats had a Wardrobe Malfunction) and others do seem to only be there to give the illusion of functionality (if the Inner Seams on the Thighs and Calves are Clamshelled and the Outer Seams are Glued Shut):

- Berbs

If I were going to make a functional holster for trooping, I would use "keyhole" notches on the thigh piece.

Pins on the weapon would register into the holes on the thigh and slide down into the slots.

The mechanical connection would be way more secure than magnets.

Beyond that, I can't imagine the strapping system to hold the thigh up with the added weight of a blaster...

The images aren't clear enough, but the "clasps" look like resin globs to me.

I understand the intention and like the idea, but they look like they're just there to cover the velcro.

If you could find the correct clasp, they could be blind riveted to vacuum formed armor (with reinforcement from behind) and be totally funtional.

If you look at the spat malfunction on the lower right, you can see the velcro strip behind the clasp...

• Like 2

Aaron, I see what you mean with the Holster... I'm sure I'm not even close, but something like this "Y" Notch seems to fit with what you're saying:

15294149194_fc5e444045_o.gif

And Velcro is exactly what I figure is what the Spat clasps were attached with, but it is a touch blurry, and it almost feels too thin... (Heck, that may even be the problem! They didn't use the thicker Industrial Velco that most of us use! LOL!)

Bottom Line: I can't wait for more pics!! And I'm sure someone will figure it all out soon enough!!

- Berbs

Edited by Berbs42
  • Like 3

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying!!! NICE JOB with the graphic!!!

You've got the keyhole slot like I mentioned at the bottom, and the Y-slot at the top makes a lot more sense for being able to holster the weapon quickly.

The Y guides the pin into the slot so they don't have to be fiddling around trying to line it up just right.

The bottom piece reminds me of "adjustable shelf standards", with a custom Y piece attached to the top.

Maybe the bottom piece has several keyholes, which allows up and down adjustment of the Y-piece to suit your arm length, etc.

Same concept with the the way you can adjust the shoulder harness in modern cars up and down to suit your height.

thCAHW2UIU_zps80e25d4a.jpg

thCACBDJ30_zpsb0530bf2.jpg

thCA01JXG1_zps81f1afac.jpg

• Like 2

On sunday evening I contacted the only german who is listed as"special effects artist/prop builder" in the credits and asked if he is able to share information about the armor or the blaster.

He told me, that everybody involved had to sign a watertight NDA, that doesn't allow giving any information whatsoever ...

So this is not the route to go ...

If we are going to get any information, it obviously needs someone at the very top, who has a heart for the 501st ...

Oh, and Chris, verrrry nice work on the graphics for the "holster"!

Edited by Bone

It is definitely going to be exciting to see how quickly our community adapts the new armor for greater practicality, although, given the statements by JJ that the focus is on practical effects, I'm curious if the armor isn't actually built using proprietary stuff to make it more wearable and usable in a practical manner.

Truly exciting stuff. This is like a new beginning and we all get to be a part of it!!

Also, I'm curious if anyone else picked up the "chatter" that sounded like the Imperial Probe droid from Hoth, as John Boyega is turning around to face away from the camera. I liked the inclusion of that bit of audio.

I can hear Threepio now. "Sir, I am fluent in over six million forms of communication...."

• Like 2

Also, I'm curious if anyone else picked up the "chatter" that sounded like the Imperial Probe droid from Hoth, as John Boyega is turning around to face away from the camera. I liked the inclusion of that bit of audio.

I can hear Threepio now. "Sir, I am fluent in over six million forms of communication...."

Yeah I noticed it as well. I loved that strange noise when I was a kid pretending to play HOTH in winter.

The sound of the Imperial Probe Droid could be an indication, that John Boyega plays a wanted person (for whatever reason). Maybe he turned away from the Empire or stole some armor to infiltrate it...

However, this would also explain his complete behaviour in this scene. He definitely looks chased.

• Like 1