Helmet Kit, Need expert opinions

Cavok

Hi there! Unfortunately I haven't posted too much since joining, mainly because time for this hobby has been at an all time low. But I want to try to get that passion back for dressing up as a bad an impolite person looking stormtooper. This would be my first real foray into this and I wanted to build up my armor piece by piece. So i figured, start with the helmet!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-1-1-Scale-ANH-ESB-STORMTROOPER-Helmet-Kit-SFS-/201205749112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed8cc1578

The only main problem I have with this is that there is no real dimensions given, so I am not too sure if it would fit my relatively larger head. However, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding this in terms of accuracy? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

looks like a recast of a 3d printed TE made many years ago,  its not accurate in terms of how it was made, its one solid piece made either by rotocast resin or fiberglass, the movie helmets were vacuumformed made from 4 separate parts, a face plate, top/cap and 2x ear pieces, also helmet should have real rubber brow and neck trim, this one is casted on helmet, not sure if it's 501st approved, TBH your better off with a more accurate vacuumformed helmet, way less work, no need to paint or add the missing details. 

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

Much better off looking at one of the vetted seller here http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ including Mark ^^ above. The moulded brow gives that ebay one away as one to stay away from.

i have one of those helmets. the cheeks and tubes are crushed in a little and it looks flat, i heated mine up with a heatgun and blew it out a little to look more correct. theyre slushcast resin recasts of the fiberglass set for stun helmet that was 3d scanned off the screen used original back in mid 2000's.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one of these to have displayed in my house (big collector of anything TK related).  I got it Friday and started sanding, shaping, and painting it on Monday.  I've done a side by side with my CAP that I troop in to see the difference in size, shape, etc.  Personally, I like it.  I know that as a 501st Member, I'm supposed to demonize recasters, rip-off artists, etc. but he actually didn't say anything about 501st approval or anything in the ad.  It was a solid piece that I wanted to do as a project to see how I could make it look.  

Personally, I would recommend you buy your first from one of the great members that build and make available super accurate buckets, not only to support our members, but the experience to build, paint and create your own first helmet.  It would be your first step into a larger world  ;)

PhotoDec24111259AM_zpsc68f1a2a.jpg

PhotoDec24111252AM_zpsff505a48.jpg

PhotoDec24111210AM_zps30b96674.jpg