Sly's AP ANH Stunt TK Build

Sly11

Got cracking on the Thermal det today, all parts trimmed to as accurate size as possible.

Also tried my hand at making the Det clips, were a little time consuming to tweak but not too difficult to bend up.

thank goodness for the FISD help tips.

nspPyGI.jpg

F8IJBx3.jpg

I am becoming more convinced, I have the shins back to front, as this damn sniper plate will not sit straight on the shin I think is the left, but it fits better on what I thought was the right.

It sits crooked and off centre.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Crooked sniper knee plate is one of the characteristic of the AP amor.

If i could give you a piece of advice it'd be to line up the ridges of the sniper knee plate with the ridges of the shins, no matter if the SKP looks crooked then. In fact once all suited up, you don't noticed it anymore and having the ridges aligned is important to obtain EIB and Centurion badges.

You can also try to heat it up and then to reshape it but this is risky.

Edited by The5thHorseman

Thanks Germain, I have thought about the bucket of hot water bending thing, as i will be doing this to curve my belt and knee pack.

well if its crooked, it's crooked, but it is still a struggle to even get the edges to line up with the ridges of the shin.

Yes, there's a lot of stress in this piece once glued down. Closing in the wings of the sniper knee plate before gluing it, is indeed a good thing to do. Also, reducing the return edges will increase the flexibility of the SKP making it easier to glue.

You are doing a great job so far! I am confident you will conquer that sniper. Once trimmed out, set it in place dry with clamps until you have it just where you want it. Make marks with a pencil so when gluing, you can place it right back in the same location. It's no secret that the sniper sucks for gluing surface. A little trick I have used if you are nervous about heat bending the sniper to meet the shin surface, is to heat the shin and push it out to meet the sniper. This will create more shin to sniper gluing surface without warping the look of the sniper plate Do the same dry fit/mark so you don't go beyond those marks. All will be hidden by the sniper.

A good guide for your belt corners is to trim the corners so that the vertical outer edge of your belt is roughly the same as your belt width top to bottom.

I would also reserve your trimming of your cover strips for BEFORE you glue them in place. Tape up the seams and make your measurements. Trim at your leisure safely away from the armor surface. Note: if you used a razor knife to cut your cover strips, you WILL have a slight raised lip along the cut line. If not removed, this does affect how close your cover strip fits to the armor surface. Draw the sharp edge of your razor knife along the edge to remove this. You will see how much flatter it sits on the armor surface.

is there any specific measure for the amount of material you leave around the edge of the larger button plate for the abs?

Edited by Sly11

Still haven't done the closures on the rear, just a test fit, shot is taken from a higher angle so looks like the cover strips are too short, but not when you look at them.

7HWzUqG.jpg

Test fitting the thighs, one looks bigger than the other, have been stuffing around with these for a while, and even when the measurment internally at the top is the same, one still looks larger....WTF

BDMCCOu.jpg

Any hints tips,

Can i get away with 25mm cover strips on the back of my shins and thighs?

I don't need them for size cause the 20mm will work, but the way the back of my shins are, 25mm would give me a better area for the Velcro to close them(shins only, thighs will be glued).

Shins can be seen here with the 12mm ridge left on both sides, can trim it back 5mm on the side i will glue the cover strip to leaving me a lager area for the velcro, but it will be getting tight around the boot as i have a good fit in its current state.

LiJl90T.jpg?1

I did 20mm on the fronts of the shins / thighs and 25mm on the backs.  Perfectly fine to do so.

For the thighs, have you closed the backs yet?  If not, have someone squeeze each thigh so that the whole piece gets close to your legs, from the top to the bottom.  Then mark where the overlap in the plastic is, take the thighs off, find a center line, and cut down the center.  That will give you a nice tapered fit.

Edited by maxsteele

Help please, can't find what width the white elastic is that holds down the shoulder bridges at the back, in mm ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's pretty darn close Jeremy, and thanks Steve, luck i bought 6mm then.

Sorry I haven't posted progress photos as was setting up for Comicon today but basically i am ready to start strapping all together....oh and yes...still haven't done that damn sniper knee plate...

I didn't see anyone answer regarding the main button plate. It should be trimmed so that a small portion of the raised area it sits on us visible. Same with the smaller 4 button plate. Ron hit it right on the head regarding your thigh fitting. Just make sure when your helper is marking the back of your thighs that you have them pulled up high into your crotch.

Thank you, think I got the ab plate pieces correct, but will take photos and post after Comicon this weekend. They are not glued on yet so if need be can trim further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Belt almost finished, just need to attach the drop boxes to the elastic straps behind.

Is there a verdict on how these should be attached?  Glued or rivet etc.

j4ss3O8.jpg

One thigh complete, used cap rivets to hold the pack on, these are painted white.

LXBBnkF.jpg