Cartoon Rebels TK look..WTF!

Hi all I normally a nice guy and like seeing new stuff for the TKs, but I was not happy with  Filoni and his animated team.  

Yes I think the cartoon is going to be cool..and want to see something other that the Clone Wars.......but I feel that they have done an injustice to the look of the TK (not doing their homework)

I have it in my mind that when it came to the design of the new animated TK that one of more of the 3D PC geeks working for Filoni had either one of both of the FX lid and the MR/EFX PCR lids on their desk and said in a meeting when Filoni (more than likely said) "we need to start on the design of the Stormtroopers asap!!! I want to have the old school vibe in this cartoon"  then one or more of the PC geeks spoke up and said "I got one of the lids I bought off of Ebay! "  more than likely they have not a clue that those two helmets do not best represents the TK...and worked off of them, instead of walking down to the archives and scanning one of the many original lids the LFL has........

I would love to talk to Filoni and let him know he has made an issue for the TK world.  

mix of the RCR and FX (if they had a child)

some of my 501st mates are it is just the style of animation....honestly there is bad animation in the world.....

------------

I have some of the ones in the Legion always saying  "Joe Q Public cannot tell,  this is great for the TKs!!!" (as they pick their nose)....

I was in the C6 501st armor panel and we had both FX and  a screen linage helmet sitting side by side....none of us said a word  bad or anything about makers or anything.

Q and A can up and one of the "Joe Q Public" asked :"why did the helmet lid look different from one another? " he went on to ask the one looks to be off and why?  He was tlking about the FX......

Paul H (FISD Founder) stated " that is just the difference in the makers...

So "Joe Q Public" can tell......

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

It wasn't a matter of Filoni having the wrong helmets on which to base his designs. It has everything to do with him wanting to make something his own. He has said as much in the past when he talked about how cool it was people were making the armor he designed. He wanted to make things as cartoonish and different as he could and doesn't care a bit about how it effects the people trying to stay true to the movies. His ego fueled this ugliness.

I have heard over and over how much these new helmets look like the McQuarrie designs. But they are still ugly as sin. And frankly, you can talk all day long about how awesome McQuarrie's designs were but in the end, that is not what ended up on screen.

The guy has no respect for the work people have put into making costuming as accurate as possible. As if the clones weren't ugly enough, he made them uglier. And now he has taken the most iconic figure (next to Vader, of course) and ruined the look.

Sorry for the rant but this jerk and his designs have really made me question whether or not I even want to be a fan, let alone continue costuming.

I would have loved to have seen the cartoon use RMQ's concept TKs  there are already a lot of his some (concepts in the new cartoon)

I fell they have taken the TKs a step backwards with Filoni new cartoon.

my head hurts,,,,,

It wasn't a matter of Filoni having the wrong helmets on which to base his designs. It has everything to do with him wanting to make something his own. He has said as much in the past when he talked about how cool it was people were making the armor he designed. He wanted to make things as cartoonish and different as he could and doesn't care a bit about how it effects the people trying to stay true to the movies. His ego fueled this ugliness.

I have heard over and over how much these new helmets look like the McQuarrie designs. But they are still ugly as sin. And frankly, you can talk all day long about how awesome McQuarrie's designs were but in the end, that is not what ended up on screen.

The guy has no respect for the work people have put into making costuming as accurate as possible. As if the clones weren't ugly enough, he made them uglier. And now he has taken the most iconic figure (next to Vader, of course) and ruined the look.

Sorry for the rant but this jerk and his designs have really made me question whether or not I even want to be a fan, let alone continue costuming.

AMEN the clone wars animated armors, and the new rebels series armors are all hideous and I for one feel that they should not be 501st approved, seeing as how humans dont look like cartoons, then the armor shouldnt either. Any approved costumes with inspiration from the animated series should be 'realistic versions' if at all

AMEN the clone wars animated armors, and the new rebels series armors are all hideous and I for one feel that they should not be 501st approved, seeing as how humans dont look like cartoons, then the armor shouldnt either. Any approved costumes with inspiration from the animated series should be 'realistic versions' if at all

I dare you to take that argument over to the clonetrooper detachment..  HAHA!   :laugh1:  

Gotta say though guys, I disagree.  I love the Clone Wars and the animated clones. Phase 2 definitely was an improvement from phase 1. So who knows, maybe the Rebels stormtroopers will evolve the same way and go through a re-design a few seasons in. We'll just have to watch the show, won't we..  Also, while Dave Filoni and George Lucas obviously appreciate and endorse the Star Wars costuming community, we are merely a 'drop in the bucket' when it comes to creating new Star Wars material for millions of fans, making Lucasfilm millions and billions of dollars.  I highly doubt there has been any mention in any 'Rebels' design meeting as to what the costuming community is going to think about a particular design. As cool as it would be if the 501st legion were creative consultants for Lucasfilm on all things trooper related, sadly we are not. I think we just have to accept that not everything released in the Star Wars universe (especially animation) is going to be, or needs to be, screen accurate.  We're getting more Star Wars.. TONS of it!  Let's just take a deep breath, not quit the 501st, and appreciate what we're getting.  

It's really hard to think they didn't have an FX helmet on hand (or at least photos) when designing. Those cheek proportions have a lot in common.

I'm not a fan of it and I think it sets the work of this detachment back a bit, but I also appreciate the fact that there's a whole lot of Star Wars on the way to be thankful for.

Fully agree with rouge trooper and smiling fox, we worked so hard on getting the FX helmet rid of from the legion with all these new screen accurate TK vendors. I'm excited for the series but wow did he single handedly destroy the look of the TK. I think it will be odd going to troops and here you have all the movie style TKs then one odd looking animated stormtrooper of the bunch... and the public WILL see a difference in an animated TK compared to a Real TK. I think anyone can kids will too. I think its actually wrose than the FX. At least the FX and the MRCE lid has the same basic shapes of an original helmet. The animated TK has everything off about the shapes of the eyes, tubes, tears, traps, even the vocoder! 

I love the new animated helmet. They took whatever stood out of a TK and emplhasized it even more. Kinda like a caricature. For an Animated series, I think it's really good for what it is.

• 2 weeks later...