Helmet Paint Discussion - what to use, how to ship

This is an mighty fine tutorial,i've been watching this closely and with great impatience to see the endresult :blink:

I'm waiting on an ap helmet kit an started saving for a hdpe te2 helmet now that i want to turn in an esb helmet.

I hope i can get the same paint result like your's,good spraypaint is hard to find here in belgium and can not be compared to the

rust-oleum finish.

Can you buy rust-oleum white spraypaint online?

Or maybe when the time comes someone on the forum can help me out for the spraypaint of that brand.

Anyway keep up the good work and do you have a next project waiting?

This is an mighty fine tutorial,i've been watching this closely and with great impatience to see the endresult :blink:

I'm waiting on an ap helmet kit an started saving for a hdpe te2 helmet now that i want to turn in an esb helmet.

I hope i can get the same paint result like your's,good spraypaint is hard to find here in belgium and can not be compared to the

rust-oleum finish.

Can you buy rust-oleum white spraypaint online?

Or maybe when the time comes someone on the forum can help me out for the spraypaint of that brand.

Anyway keep up the good work and do you have a next project waiting?

I dont know what the shipping laws are like for srpaypaint but when im at the post office next wekk ill ask and try to remember to send you a PM or post it here. I dont think theyd have aproblem with it and id be glad to help ya out once you get your kit, as long as its legal to ship that is ^.<

That would be great!!!! :D

And thank's for the effort Ketariniii ;)

Always glad to help a fellow trooper. If it weren't for my local garrison and the great folks on here id still be pulling my hair out. Plus i got o the ol' post office on a regular basis as im always at school during the package drop of time at my house :6: If anyone else overseas needs something sent their way send me a PM!

I dont know what the shipping laws are like for srpaypaint but when im at the post office next wekk ill ask and try to remember to send you a PM or post it here. I dont think theyd have aproblem with it and id be glad to help ya out once you get your kit, as long as its legal to ship that is ^.<

Spray paint must be shipped ground, and the USPS generally won't accept it without a hassle. It's considered ORM-D, and in my opinion UPS is the way to go.

Isn't UPS expensive for shipping some spraypaint cannes?

And if USPS will ship the ground it would take about 6 to 8 weeks to get to belgium,no?

Ether way the RUSTOLEUM paint is absolutly white and a musthave if i want to do an HDPE TE2 helmet. <_<

It's really nice that when the time commes forum member will helpout a trooper in distress :D

I am no authority on painting HDPE, but I am thinking that this paint may not be the best choice for a plastic that is that flexible. There was a guy on FISD that was an automotive painter. He mentioned that there was paint that was moere flexible for this kind of application. I think if you use this paint you should not wear it. But thats just my opinion, based on what I have read here elsewhere. Do a search for HDPE.

I am no authority on painting HDPE, but I am thinking that this paint may not be the best choice for a plastic that is that flexible. There was a guy on FISD that was an automotive painter. He mentioned that there was paint that was moere flexible for this kind of application. I think if you use this paint you should not wear it. But thats just my opinion, based on what I have read here elsewhere. Do a search for HDPE.

So really Rust-oleum is good to paint display pieces but not necessarily good for trooping buckets

I used automotive paint on my first armor that was fiberglass,it was a pain in the *** to clean up the parts and its not even finished.

When i painted the helmet in gloss white it didn't get 100% white,if you hold an styreen sheet next to it the helmet color was way off <_<

after that i decieded to start but making a bust of the armor and try an complete as much of it that i could and made a sandtrooper out of it.

The te2 I want to make is for display only,so I think the paint make no difference????

TK-4510: the te2 youre working on is made from TDPE or not?

TE2 is made out of HIPS, the recent run TE did was HDPE. What makes the Rustoleum so nice is that it is a hard paint, but that also makes it rigid. The HDPE has more flex than HIPS or ABS there fore you need a more flexible paint. You may want to experiment with bumper paint, or a high latex content hobby paint.

Just as a disclaimer, I've never worked with HDPE and these are just my ideas from being very familiar with paint.

TE2 is made out of HIPS, the recent run TE did was HDPE. What makes the Rustoleum so nice is that it is a hard paint, but that also makes it rigid. The HDPE has more flex than HIPS or ABS there fore you need a more flexible paint. You may want to experiment with bumper paint, or a high latex content hobby paint.

Just as a disclaimer, I've never worked with HDPE and these are just my ideas from being very familiar with paint.

If I understand correctly you can get an te2 in HIPS,ABS or HDPE and the Rustoleum woks best for the HIPS and ABS kits?

maybe this topic could be made a sticky?

If I understand correctly you can get an te2 in HIPS,ABS or HDPE and the Rustoleum woks best for the HIPS and ABS kits?

maybe this topic could be made a sticky?

You can only get a TE2 in HIPS.

According to Matt (TE)--and I know this cuz I asked him 2 days ago and got a response yesterday LOL-- Rustoleum Appliance epoxy is the trick. Here is his reply when I asked the best way he knew to finish his HDPE's:

The paint I use is Rustoleum appliance epoxy. Get at lowes or home depot. It sprays on pretty nicely and has a better finish than anything I have seen to date.

After you shoot it, and dont DONT DONT do layers... shoot it all at once and keep it wet. Once you get the helmet shot, get it inside and let it cure for 24-48 hours is all. It can be reshot, but only after waiting a week or more. It has a nice rich looking gloss when done right.

I dont prep it at all.. same as the original ANH helmets.. they were not prepped.. ESB ones were sandblasted.

So there you have it, straight from the mastah. B)

Have you seen the original ANH movie helmets? Runs everywhere.

Hi guys,

I used for my HDPE helmet krylon fusion and so far it is holding pretty good. The helmets is on a display case. I can see it surviving the trooping hostilities but it may chip off close to the neck trim and probably the mask face area under the ears...

Cheers

A

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

IMG_4419_V2.jpg

The trick to shipping spray paint overseas is to mark the box as something different. I sent 3 cans over to the US, and marked the contents as a 'childs toy'. The post office never questioned the contents even though it rattled, and they made it to their destination ;)

just checked my e-mails and found it wasn´t krylon it was Rustoleum rattle cans.

that´s the website:

KLICK!

but don´t worry, the rustoleum is also a recommended color for stormtrooper armor and helmets...

Mike (TD-1536) used this spraypaints for his amazing TD suit...

VISIT MIKES WEBSITE

:rolleyes: