starsaber25's MTK ANH Stunt Build

Yep thats my DVH kit.  I know I won't get to it for a while but it was still cool laying it out for a couple of pictures.

Is that one of DDay's kits?  I'm waiting for mine to arrive too.  It's been in a holding pattern in Staufenberg, Germany since the 11th.  Can't work on it yet, but it's fun to have packages come in the mail :D

Mike - yeah it is Dday's.  Yeah I don't know what it was but the tracking never updated.  It kind of just showed up yesterday.  I wasn't expecting it because it was frozen in Germany.

Mine was waiting for me when I got home today!

Ok so here is the work that I have finished over the course of the last couple of nights.  Like I said in a previous thread I finished my thighs for now.  I did end up having to use a 1 inch coverstrip on them.  Out of everything as far as this armor goes I knew that the thighs would be the hardest part to fit.  Here they are as they stand now:

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

Now like many I think I'm going to have to notch out a little bit of the bottom on the back.  I need to do this just so I can bend my knee a little better.  I hope this doesn't effect any future approvals for me.  I've been looking around and it doesn't seem like it matters.  The only thing I need to do with them now is attach the knee ammo pack.  I think they came out rather well.

The next part that I did some work on was the belt.  Here is the front:

IMG_9644.jpg

And the back:

IMG_9646.jpg

For the belt at this point I just followed some of Bill Hags billograms and took my time trying to measure up the snaps to my ab plate.  That is what took the most time.  I didn't want to mess that up at all.  I think it came out rather well.  I can't show a picture of that now because the rest of the belt is "resting" right now because I added the dropboxes to it.

Here are my drop boxes right now:

IMG_9645.jpg

Nothing too special right here.

So like I said my belt is resting right now.  It is finished all the way but I don't want to move it right this second.  I will show pictures of that later and maybe even snap it on to the torso just to see the finished product.

So its crazy but I'm actually seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.  From what I can tell all i have left to do is to attach the sniper plate, the knee ammo pack, make my Bass Amsterdams a stormtrooper boot, and really finally figure out what I'm going to do with my shins. 

Anyone have any comments or suggestions so far?  I would really love some more opinions on what I should do with my shins.  I'm kind of at a loss right now.

Looking good Steve. It does just seem to plod along slowly, then all of a sudden, Bam, finished! You're nearly there. Bummer on the shins, but I hear ya. I have little chicken legs and they only just fit me. (I went for screen accurate hooks, but after my first troop will be changing to Velcro. (Did not seen very practical at all).

Check this form titled "LOWER LEG ARMOR QUESTION?" started by Darth_Finger. It covers shins and Velcro. (Not sure if my link will work)

http://forum.whitear...wtopic=7993&hl=

I can't get the last equal sign to underline to complete the link.  :angry:

Edited by Jaren

Ok so I haven't posted any pictures in a little while but I have some updates!  I finished the belt all the way.  I think it came out rather well.

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9650-1.jpg?t=1409318542

Yes I just need to cut off the extra leather on top of the holster but its done.

So when I finally finished the belt I felt that it was time to finally tackle the boots.  I got a pair of Bass Amsterdams and decided that I would do the work on them.  I got a small bottle of deglazer and then I realized that it wasn't nearly enough.  So after that was gone in like 5 minutes I took out the acetone and started scrubbing.  Here they are after one shoe was roughly done.

IMG_9652.jpg

And here are both done for the most part.

IMG_9653.jpg

IMG_9654.jpg

Now its time to use some frog tape and tape up the soles.

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

So now its time to paint!  I used Angelus White leather paint.  Here are the shoes after one coat:

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9660.jpg

2nd:

IMG_9661.jpg

IMG_9662.jpg

3rd:

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9664.jpg

4th:

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

5th:

IMG_9667.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

6th:

IMG_9669.jpg

IMG_9670.jpg

So here is what they looked like after a nights rest.  I removed the tape and there are some areas that may need some fixing but overall I'm really happy with how they came out!  I probably won't do too much extra work.  You cannot really tell int he picture but they elastic part may need a couple of more coats.  That part really soaks the paint in!

IMG_9671.jpg

IMG_9672.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9674.jpg

So thats it for the boots.  Again just need to clean up the soles a little bit.  So I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  I only have to glue on the sniper knee plate and do the Knee Ammo pack.  After that I should hopefully be able to apply for membership. 

I do have a question on that.  It says that for 501st approval you do not need a weapon because weapons policies vary depending on Countries, States and other laws.  So will I be able to apply without my E-11?

Thanks!

Edited by starsaber25

Steve,

2 issues that I see right away on the shins:

#1 The boots ankles look big. Most of the "stormtrooper" boots I have seen have smaller ankles. You may need to buy boots that will fit. Look at CAboots and TKBoots. Both have much smaller ankles.

#2 The bottom of your shins does not need a return edge. Just cut all that off. That will free up about 1/4 inch at least. Just a nice clean edge....

Is that one of DDay's kits?  I'm waiting for mine to arrive too.  It's been in a holding pattern in Staufenberg, Germany since the 11th.  Can't work on it yet, but it's fun to have packages come in the mail :D

Mike - yeah it is Dday's.  Yeah I don't know what it was but the tracking never updated.  It kind of just showed up yesterday.  I wasn't expecting it because it was frozen in Germany.

Awesome you both got your kits!

Your box looks pretty beat up... but the parts survived!

Thanks Mike.  I will certainly take off that return edge.  I went with the Bass Amsterdams because that seemed to be a popular choice.  Is there anyone else out there that has this trouble with the ankles being too high?  If you have then what have you done about it?  I'm of course hoping that I find some way to figure this out instead of shelling out another $100 for boots.

Awesome you both got your kits!

Your box looks pretty beat up... but the parts survived!

Yeah Derrek.  When I got the box I was a little scared at first.  But everything looks good inside.  Now hurry up and get that armor finished so you can build the E-11!!!  :duim:

The newer TKboots have a pretty high ankle but look narrower. Please don't buy caboots.

Other folks use these same boots too.

I may have missed it in the thread (lazy tapatalker) but have you worn your shins around with your boots yet?

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah so. They do look wider for sure.

People are rigging all manner of Velcro on their boots to connect to shins these days. Maybe that would help keep the boot tops in once you close your shins... If you can close them.

Best to walk around the house in boots and shins before you decide to do anything drastic.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem I have with my boots. Too wide (although mine look taller that Steve's). The shins popped off during my first troop even with a bit of velcro. I think my next troop, I'm going to slit the elastic sides and hold the tops closed with some white tape. The shins will then fall down over the tape. That's until I can afford some better TK boots.

This is one of the best build threads I have seen, mostly because it is picture plenty!! I'll definitely use this in the fall when my armor gets here.  I'm posting my 2mm hero build on here and getting a lot of good feedback.  Do you plan any helmet build pics?

Hey Guys thanks for the replies.  Yeah I'm starting to think that I will slit the boots somewhere.  I just don't have any more money to spend on this project right now.  If I drop another $100 for boots I think someone who lives in my throne room will hit me with force lightning.  Hopefully I will figure something out.  I finally did an initial test fitting lastnight and I have a lot of areas that need attention.  I really don't want to show the pictures I took on here because I feel that it really doesn't live up to everyone elses build right now :angry:

This is one of the best build threads I have seen, mostly because it is picture plenty!! I'll definitely use this in the fall when my armor gets here.  I'm posting my 2mm hero build on here and getting a lot of good feedback.  Do you plan any helmet build pics?

Hey Darrell thanks for the compliments.  I was hoping to help any future troopers out and my main goal was to post as many pictures as I can.  I'm a very visual person.  As far as the helmet goes, I will eventually get to it but I don't know at what point.  I'm thinking of taking a break after I finish the armor and then revisit the helmet sometime this November or December.  I have a TM already and I think that it matches up pretty well colorwise so I will just use that for the time being.

Ok well the final absolute thing that I need to do is make the thigh garter.  When I did my test fitting I just put the thighs on and kind of let them float free.  I'm also thinking that I may need to cut the tops of them because there is not much space between the bottom of my thighs and the top of the shins.

I just want it to be over with so I can get my initial 501st approval!