Dual TM ANH Hero build!

Hello folks!

Me and my friend (newly registered Willy a.k.a whiskeybravo) got our Troopermaster ANH Hero kits a week ago, and here we will give you all the details of our project. Please give us your feedback and tips so that we'll get something really nice in the end!

Here are some pictures!

IMG_3992.jpg

Obligatory Swedish IKEA pen for tracing where to cut.

IMG_3990.jpg

Seriously sharp knife, plastic!

IMG_3991.jpg

Did some test cuts to the arm before getting into the real deal.

IMG_4010.jpg

I started out with the right calf.

IMG_4012.jpg

The lower part

IMG_4013.jpg

The upper part, where I think I might've made the edge a little bit too thin.

IMG_3995.jpg

Here we have the right bicep.

IMG_3994.jpg

Willys thighs

And finally, trying stuff on!

IMG_3993.jpg

We just got started on this, but we're really looking forward to finishing it up, and having a blast as we go! 

Two questions that came up was: Do you usually trim it to a "finished" state before testing it on, or do you leave as much plastic as possible on there and then take it down until it fits? Also, how do you cut this up yourselves? We just use sharp knives now, but is someone out there doing it in some other way maybe? It's not easy!

Edited by lindkvast

Cool, looking good, you got this. Slow and steady, the hard part is over, getting started. I like to pencil in the trim lines then score with a straight blade or trim with curved scissors. Leaving a nice even return edge. Use a dremel with a sanding drum to even out your edges.

Good luck.

Edited by Cantina Security

Looking good, you can just make out the cutting lines, could take a little more from the top of the calves. I love my dremel it's amazing what you can do with one, the drum sander attachment works great too. Good luck with the build :D

Curved lexan scissors are great for cutting the 1.5mm ABS. I use them for most of the cuts but I also use heavy duty scissors for the long, straight cuts since they are easier and quicker ;)

You can leave as much or as little return edges on the parts. You only need a large return for the strapping brackets and everywhere else is up to you :)

Take your time and keep asking questions along the way. But most importantly, have fun and enjoy the build :duim:

Good evening!

I just came home from a 3 hour session of cutting plastic. We slowly start to get a hang of it now, too bad we're almost done cutting! Here are some images. First off, the stuff I've cut myself:

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4030.jpg

(According to photobucket, this one is rotated and not upside down, as it might be here. No idea why, sorry for that).

And then, Willys stuff! He's a bit faster with the blade.

IMG_4032.jpg

(Also oddly rotated by photobucket :/)

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

So things are coming along quite nicely. Not that much left, one more session of cutting probably. Then we will move on to strapping and everything else. Finally, we will do the helmets, we don't have the confidence for that just yet ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so after trying scissors, my verdict is that they of course get you better edges than the knife, but it's a bit more tricky to get the cuts right angle-wise since the plastic varies in its thickness (and therefor hardness). So no real favourite yet. 

How did you all cut the helmets by the way? Is there a dremel tool that works well or just knife that too? Soon it's strapping-time!

I used the Dremel cutting disc for most of my cuts. Just like a mini angle grinder.

Yeah but the plastic melts when dremeling. So I've only used it for rough cuts so far, then going in with a fairly similar knife as Germain mentioned. Gives me quite a bit of nicks in the edges unfortunately, but I guess that's okay. Will probably grind it all down a bit later on.

• 3 months later...

We have come along way in our build but ran into some questions. I will search this forum for answers but I might as well but up my questions in our thread.

Can someone tell me how to glue the green glass pieces inside the helmet. i was thinking of building up a better area for glue with some plastic padding.

What is the best practice here?

About the bigger rivets that will be visible..What tools and techniques are you using?

cheers!

People usually use the ears screws which go through helmet to fasten the lenses inside it. Accurate and efficient:

med_gallery_12157_59_75873.jpg

I can't figure what your talking about the "bigger rivets" though...

But we're doing TM, it is two separate thick plastic lenses. It doesn't look like that.

Another thing, we got four long pop rivets, are they for the front plastic piece of the belt? We only need three, but that's where they seem to make the most sense.

Helmet assembly I would guess. There are two pop rivets on each side of the helmet, holding the face, cap and back together.

The belt was held on to the canvas with three cap rivets.

• 1 month later...

They hang from a belt you have around your waist, which is hidden behind the abdominal and kydney plates.

You can have a glimpse at it on this sceencap (and also on a picture of Luke resting on his side between shots but i can't find it back):

15414740106_7b71808140_b.jpg