SlooperTrooper's AP Build

SlooperTrooper

Hey All!

So finally getting around to starting my build thread...

Big brown box arrives!!! Of course I was too excited to stop and take a picture so just tore it open and unpacked!

post-20394-139574488012_thumb.jpg

Crap! Where do all these pieces go???

post-20394-139574508086_thumb.jpg

My daughter accused me of trying to build two suits. She called dibs on the second...

.... FYI I am probably going to make a mess out of all of this so feel free to scream when I screw up. Easier to fix it now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SlooperTrooper

Ahhh another big brown box, don't worry there are those around to help you when you need it, remember measure twice and cut once :D

So very strange... went to upload more progress and found out my Tapatalk app will no longer let me upload any images (File too Big Error).  I wonder how those first two made it through.

Let's see if these image links work from imgur...  Bobby the cat is skeptical!!!

XNFnUti.jpg

HOLY CAT HE IS HUGE!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

... I'm off to find some message board image tutorials now (ugh).

Edited by SlooperTrooper

He really is an angry cat (he bites)... well at least I got the images to work again. 

Ok, so after much hesitation I finally started to make some cuts.  Big thanks to Pandatrooper for his fantastic tutorials, without which I would still be sitting here wringing my hands and fretting about screwing up.

I started with the bucket, where else!  After some consideration I am going to lower the brow, both for looks and to give a little more space in the neck opening for my fat head to fit through.

6CeJR0r.jpg

Oh, and then I blew the drive coupling on my 20 year old Dremel.  Two weeks for a replacement part seems a little nuts, but for $0.98 I can't complain too much.

XxMA2xA.jpg

Hopfully the Doopy converstion kit for my Hasbro e-11 will come soon. 

Edited by SlooperTrooper

Nice kit!

Lowering the bro is not the only way to make a helmet larger... actually just drilling out the holes on the lid you get a

perfect setting... so follow those exactly! Make sure you don't drill out the ears larger than the holes, don't countersink em.

otherwise your screws will pull though and damage the plastic. just keep the ears with about 1/16" extra plastic at the center

rear of the cap, and keep the back thicker than the trim lines.  The fronts of the ears should curve towards the cheek near

the cap front center.  To make the helmet larger at the bottom you can cut the front of the bottom of the helmet in the center

and stop near the front place near the ears.

remember that you must Twist the helmet on the side and twist to the center when you place it on your head.

if you'd like detailed photos for ear fitting, and eye cutting I can provide those.

if you want, you can use flat tin snips to cut out the lines... I use flat large snips... not bullnose.

email me  bondservnt@aol.com for more details.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 3 weeks later...

So back in business and tearing through the full trim. Helmet is almost done, pics soon...

Now for my first major question. Is there a diagram that shows which edges of which pieces have return edges and how large they are? The trim lines on the AP kit seem to vary quite a bit and I don't want to hack too much off!

For instance the top of the kidney plate has a natural 1/4 - 1/2" return edge, while the bottom has none (since it is a single pull attached to the butt which needs to be cut).

So finished my ears. Think it's a passable job for my first lid. Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice.

zUx0QhO.jpg

P86iZlg.jpg

J6fQge3.jpg

All that said, not really happy with the gaps. Going to try a little ABS paste to fill and sand. Hopefully that will do the trick...

lh0R8nQ.jpg

Also knocked out my neck gasket and belt. Thanks to my awesomesauce daughter and her wizardly sewing machine skills! The belt is standard canvas duck, but I used headliner/headboard material for the gasket since it had the foam backing.

GYegEHQ.jpg

More to come, but still need advice on return edges to finish my trim...

Ok, so went crazy and made my first ABS paste. Used two tablespoons of Acetone with two tablespoons of Dremel shavings, and another tablespoon of 1/8" square trim bits. Left it for 30 minutes in a glass shot glass and stirred every 5 minutes with a wooden clay tool. Came out GREAT! Nice a thick with some chunks that could be worked well into the seams...

vlSxud8.jpg

So... The results were very scary, and it was late so I went to bed. Today, after 3 hours of hand sanding (Futurama, South Park, Tosh.0) I got it up to a 600 grit and am very pleased!

My Home Depot only carries up to 800 grit, anyone know my best bet for 1200+ before I hit the Novus? West Marine?

I believe that comes in to preference on how you want the frown to look.  As you can see from all those screen-used helmets, the frown had different lengths at the ends.  The common point is that all of them come to a point on each end.  Here's how far I went with mine:

gVp7RF8.jpg

It's a little hard to see at this angle, but both ends come down to a point.  It looks like I stopped just before reaching the cheek.

Edited by maxsteele

Oh return edges..some but not a lot...hows that?!....forearms have none at the wrist.some people have some at the rear biseps have some the bells have it on the bottoms, chest and back you can take off at the neck area cod.at the top as much as you feel to and the bottoms of the shins have none..the rest is going to depend on your fit and movement...lol of lack of...you shall see!:-)

• 1 year later...

Hah, found it!

For those who were not aware, I spent the last year and a half falling in love, getting married, and starting a new life with four step kids. That said, it is now....

TIME TO FINISH MY AP BUILD!!!!

I am taking over the family room as the trooper workshop and using the next two weeks full-time to finish this set (and paint the deck)!

Now let's get started! (again)

O6HmtCm.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SlooperTrooper
  • Like 1

Thanks Airborne, though exactly why I need a little more armor now :)

Took over the family room. Wifey is not entirely impressed but helping as much as she can while she plays solitaire...

MgnmbkR.jpg

After unpacking the big brown box for the second time I got straight to work on final trims and snap plates. Seems I have more courage these days to tear right into a pile of abs with snips...

OylvkJt.jpg

Bells are done! Used 2-part Epoxy (5minute quick dry) on the snap plates and e-6000 on the elastic.

N2a1H8e.jpg

Interesting Note: ordered more e-6000 on Amazon today. Seems there are now two grades, automotive and craft. Bought the automotive because it is a buck cheaper and that seems to be what my other tube is.

Setup a shin strip to dry overnight (oh woe is the cure time on e-6000, another 7 days just to get the front joins done)! Never enough magnets!!! Using the butt join and cover strip method for potential EIB certification later. Probably should have ordered more magnets when I asked Amazon for the e-6000...

yJqBniw.jpg

UK5qvfg.jpg

Right shin will need some sanding after it dries, maybe I should have started with the left to cover my sloppy joins with the sniper plate.

Time for a beer! (Who am I kidding I've been drinking since noon.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by SlooperTrooper