ANH armor history

It was brought up in a conversation and I just want to be clear on things. I know that the sandtroopers were the first to be filmed and all the helmets were done in the Khaki HDPE and painted. I also know that the Hero TK helmets were done in ABS to maintain the clean look. Was all the armor pulled in ABS?? Was there another white plastic they were pulled in then painted like styrene? None of the archive photos of the armor show any paint chipping with Khaki underneath though it still kinda looks painted.

We are never too old to learn.

1.5 mm white ABS if I recall correctly. I think RS and TM confirmed that back when the RS suit was just discovered.

Again, this might have been discussed before, but, where did the RS suit came from?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Again, this might have been discussed before, but, where did the RS suit came from?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

http://www.rspropmasters.com/about-us/

1.5 mm white ABS if I recall correctly. I think RS and TM confirmed that back when the RS suit was just discovered.

If I remember correctly Simon's suit is a mix of 1 and 1.5 mm plastic.

If I remember correctly Simon's suit is a mix of 1 and 1.5 mm plastic.

Could be. It's very thin either way. I wish I had the time to dig out the old posts, but I have plans for tonight.

So the armor was pulled in the 1.5MM, were ALL the helmets other than the Hero helmets in HDPE and painted?

Yes. But we're not certain that it was HDPE. It could also have been LDPE or PP. And around 3 mm thick (pre vac-forming) I've read.

that is quite the soap opera discussion with a lot of open possibilities that don't seem to REALLY come to a solid conclusion.

But that's all we know. ;)

It's all second hand information, guessing and comparing pic's.

No one of us were involved to can say it for sure.

May Gino will know a little bit more as he also handled a original suit and had a look in the LFL archives. 

But i doubt it that he can/will share any real new infos with us.

Edited by Turrican

I think we can assume that they repainted the armors for ESB as they look really neat in the film, and maybe they were also repainting some armor pieces or whole set in case by case during ANH to hide major scratches/deteriorations.

But if the armors were indeed in white ABS, i don't see the point to paint all of them from the beginning, it would be a waste of money and time for a film that wasn't already a success. Also i think remembering that the helmets were formed before the armors, and perhaps when they see the material used (which ever it was) they specifically ask for a material which wouldn't require painting to form the armors.

Once again that's only my assumptions here ;) .

What i realy would like to know:

They made the armours out of some white material ABS or Styrene or what ever. Also the hero helmets were made out of white plastic.

Why they made the stunt helmets out of a green plastic?

They had a very small budged for ANH , but they put a lot work in the stunt helmets to get them white and shiny.

That absolute makes no sense to me. Also as all the ears for the helmets were made out of white ABS, too.

Because the helmets were such a complex shape to pull a flexible plastic was required and all that the guy who did the work had was green. So they were pulled in green and painted white. The armour being less complex allowed it to be pulled in less forgiving abs in white.

What I have heard so far is that hdpe is some nasty plastic to pull and not very forgiving, only very flexible and durable in the end.

Gesendet von meinem XT1032 mit Tapatalk

That would probably explain why there are so few surviving helmets in existence.

Not that few. Probably around half at least. The number of unaccounted helmets in private hands is probably quite large.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk