3 things i've noticed in the last year

DizzyStormtrooper

1. There are a lot of new members that like to make new posts about stuff that's already posted. Yeah the search function is subpar at best, but before I got my armor I was reading tutorials and other peoples build threads like the dickens! It seems in the excitement of not being able to move in a bunch of tupperware, recruits these days have lost the ability to read. And sometimes they don't listen, therefore making a new NEW thread about how they were told something, and need further reassurance. I thought we had a mentor program?... The unnessesary one question threads are clogging the system man.. Using up your data..

2. The sale section needs to be cleaned out. There are hundreds of "sold" threads months old that should be deleted to clear up some space. I can see keeping them up "last 30 days after sale" for any communication or clarification issues, but those ones from 4 years ago, we don't need those. an exception can be made for the ongoing orders section.

3. I have never seen any African American members in any detachment of the legion! wassup with that? I mean sure describing stormtrooper fan club "a group of a thousand guys in white uniforms"... But come on now. Thatsth justht thilly!

Three valid points:-).

With regards to all the new members posting threads I agree. A lot of "one question" threads fill up. That being said I have no problem with (new) members posting threads on how they are building, modifying etc. this and that.....eventhough threads have been posted on that subject earlier.....:-)...

our job is to help troopers.  our loyalty to the 501 mandate of bad guys doing good comes to mind.

everyone has a different learning curve, and I personally like any question, no matter how many times it's been asked

that's one of the reasons we have people like mathias, or glen, or clamps, or myself, and many other like minded souls

who keep on site and help the newcomers.

the TK information post image maps would be a great way to get all the data linked to the photographs of

parts on all the different TK's  I'm sure our Detachment Leader can help to upgrade that resource.

Imagine clicking on a ROTJ helmet and getting all the information on where to buy, and how to assemble it.

when that resource is finished it would be a great way for newcomers to search the relevant threads.

it can be a little daunting to answer the same questions over and over, and that's the pleasure of being able to

link to a thread where the information has already been discussed!

Vern I agree completely. I think (who it applies to) is afraid of making it too easy though. iirc getting armor used to be restricted strictly to pm's and discussing prices in threads wasn't allowed. It would help out tremendously if it was as simple as turning the "where to get armor" thread into a "who what where and how much to get armor" thread. But that was just so Lucas wouldn't be chasing after us, as I recall however the legion made a deal that we wouldn't essentially do what AA did, which we don't, but it still wouldn't hurt to openly say to people "hey, you'll be spending around a grand" in addition to the armor maker info. I've seen people turned off from getting a costume cuz all they see is $2000 licensed replicas and don't realize one could have there own, accurate, quality suit for around 500 and build up from there.

Furthermore the clone detachment still seems to stick to the old rule. They don't even HAVE a where to get armor thread. What, afraid of getting chewed out by CGI artists? Its not like someone ripped the 3D clone model files from the Lucasfilm archives. I wish it was easier over there.

Derek,

We have a long history if answering the same questions over and over again. It's kinda what makes FISD great. I know I've linked previous threads as an answer and told people to use the search luke. I think there's a forum leaning curve on top of a TK learning curve. I doubt anything we do will stop people from posting repeat questions without doing a little research. Also... Our forum search (albeit better these days) kinda blows.

On archiving for sale threads... I am strongly opposed to archiving much of anything. I do not see a compelling reason to archive them. I'd rather keep the history around.

And... There are not only lots of African Americans in the legion and even on staff here on FISD.

Aloha and thank you for your continued dedication to the FISD.

-Eric

• 3 weeks later...

We don't archive old threads. There are many times it's beneficial to go back and see what was sold and the prices. It's not like we get reams of them a day where it's hard to keep up what is or is not active. Most people are good about changing the title to SOLD so it's easier to track.

Picasso I'm sure was called many impolite things. Michaelangelo certainly was - he just didn't embody the pretty boy artiste that the elites wanted to hang with, like Raphael was. Yet seeing both their artworks in person, it's clear Michaelangelo was the superior artist (not taking anything away from Raphael - he's pretty amazing. But MA was a singular talent....).

We don't archive old threads. There are many times it's beneficial to go back and see what was sold and the prices. It's not like we get reams of them a day where it's hard to keep up what is or is not active. Most people are good about changing the title to SOLD so it's easier to track.

Picasso I'm sure was called many impolite things. Michaelangelo certainly was - he just didn't embody the pretty boy artiste that the elites wanted to hang with, like Raphael was. Yet seeing both their artworks in person, it's clear Michaelangelo was the superior artist (not taking anything away from Raphael - he's pretty amazing. But MA was a singular talent....).

The archiving has been undone now, so everything is back. But we obviously have different options on the issue. I would absolutely mind archiving other kinds of topic that hold actual information. But sales threads don't. And people don't always contact a mod to change the topic title to sold (and they can't do it themselves), so in this case, having almost 7 years of threads (100+ pages) is nothing but confusing to users, a performance hit on the server and to no real benefit for anyone.

The archiving has been undone now, so everything is back. But we obviously have different options on the issue. I would absolutely mind archiving other kinds of topic that hold actual information. But sales threads don't. And people don't always contact a mod to change the topic title to sold (and they can't do it themselves), so in this case, having almost 7 years of threads (100+ pages) is nothing but confusing to users, a performance hit on the server and to no real benefit for anyone.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. There are arguments to archive many older threads of the forum too, but fortunately wiser heads prevailed.

Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. There are arguments to archive many older threads of the forum too, but fortunately wiser heads prevailed.

I don't want to archive any other threads. Only sales threads. The rules I had set up for archiving only applied to threads that had no activity for 6+ months. Which I think is more than reasonable. If you want to sell something and it sits for half a year then it might be best to create a new thread or make sure to bump it one in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

3. I have never seen any African American members in any detachment of the legion! wassup with that? I mean sure describing stormtrooper fan club "a group of a thousand guys in white uniforms"... But come on now. Thatsth justht thilly!

I've been an active Legion member for 13 years, and I've personally met a grand total of 3.