My ATA Helmet Build

maxsteele

I've seen people recommending using files to shape the interior edges.  Could someone link me to the type of files they recommend?  I'd like to pick up one (or a set), but I just don't know what to get.

You can do what I did and use a metal fingernail file I even used the crappy paper ones. They're essentially sandpaper sticks. Use a really sharp hobby knife to do 90% of the detail shaping, then sand it with the nail files.

Edited by bigtrev503

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks trev - I'll give that a shot.

Now here are a head-on and left / right shots of my two teeth.  I'm at the point now where I start second-guessing how much I'm supposed to cut.  I certainly don't want to cut too much, but it's very difficult for me to compare to photos and tell.  I would appreciate opinions and direction.  :)

sANEE5S.jpg

yNnwI3n.jpg

Qgu4XoW.jpg

I think I see what you mean. If I'm seeing his right, my left tooth is following the angle of the frown, and the right one is not. Is that something I need to cut with the knife? Or can I get a result with a file?

I would use a file rather than a knife as you have more control, bit more work but worth it :D

I just bought a file kit, has different types of files in it, square, rectangle, triangle, round and so on

I just bought a file kit, has different types of files in it, square, rectangle, triangle, round and so on

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/PIECE-MEDIUM-SIZE-DIAMOND-FILES/dp/B000UCREE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376844881&sr=8-1&keywords=file+kit

Sorry I missed your response. Those are diamond files and are great for fine detail and will work you just have to file more. Harbor freight and many hobby stores sell file sets just like this with standard file teeth and allow you to remove the material faster. Down the road, it is good to have a set of both and they are similar in cost. I personally use a small sanding drum from the inside and remove the back of the tooth area and then file and sand. Basically, it comes down to what works best for you to achieve the finished product.

I got to use my file set tonight.

HffcXpX.jpg

VYHBtrA.jpg

D4iHADc.jpg

They're definitely better than they were in my last shots.  I was definitely able to have the lines go in the direction of the frown.

If I'm looking at these right, I could go up a bit higher and a bit lower on all of the teeth?  

Edited by maxsteele

So, what do you do when you slip with a file and get a little scratch on the front part of the face?  I can't take a picture because it's so faint, but I know it's there.  Can you do anything about those?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this while filing out teeth....

Edited by maxsteele

Novus scratch remover should do it. They have different stages, depending on the type of scratch. You can tape around the area to prevent this in the future.

Novus scratch remover should do it. They have different stages, depending on the type of scratch. You can tape around the area to prevent this in the future.

Hm, ok.  I had never seen anyone mention that they taped around the mouth area to prevent scratches from file slipping, but it definitely makes sense to do it.  I'll put tape around the mouth to prevent that in the future.

I could probably completely ignore the scratch and no one would notice, that's how slight it is.  But it is certainly there.  I'll tackle that once I'm done with the front and ready to start painting.  We'll see if I even need to do it.

Holes look fine, with the scratch you can use different grades of wet and dry sandpaper, finishing with very fine, then buff with polish, just depends how deep the scratch is, if it's too deep you could use a little bondo :D

Holes look fine, with the scratch you can use different grades of wet and dry sandpaper, finishing with very fine, then buff with polish, just depends how deep the scratch is, if it's too deep you could use a little bondo :D

Thanks!  I worked anywhere between 1/2 hour - an hour on each tooth.

I got a couple of scratches, but the only way you can see them is if you hold the front up to the light and turn it back and forth to look for it.  You can just feel t hem if you run your nail across, but otherwise they're pretty invisible.  I'm sure it's no different than any scratches people get from regular trooping.

Next up - cutting out the ears!

Have fun with the ears, they are the worst part of the whole armor build, take off a little at a time and you should be fine :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my weekend at PAX Prime!  Time to get back into the build process.

First, here is what I am considering the final form of my teeth:

NuzDMgV.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who gave me advice!  I went from "Holy shucks - I can't do this"  to "Hey, I have this figured out!".  

Second, I have a question about the ears:

Should I use the score and snap method, or cut with Lexan scissors?  

My concern with the score and snap method is my inability to draw straight lines (or curved lines) and with one wrong move I've scored myself a useless ear.

My concern with the scissors is having jagged edges from the cutting.

Thoughts?

The two middle teeth still look a bit round on the bottoms but it may be the angle. Ears are tricky, I don't think you can score and snap, scissors with get part of the way, but I found a dremel with a sanding tool the best, easy to take small amounts of at a time. Keep up the good work