My ATA Helmet Build

maxsteele

Done!  (Well, I have to put a mesh in behind the frown, add padding so I can wear it, and cut back the screws, but that's hardly anything.)  (Also, that's some blue fabric behind my helmet's left ear on the front shot.  It looks like tape hanging off it, but it isn't.  :)  )

JQUa1wk.jpg

Kp5UKBk.jpg

k37cHCN.jpg

7Awcw6H.jpg

UQ0BWs0.jpg

Once again, a very big thanks to everyone that has helped me with this build!  I would have a pile of useless ABS if it weren't for everyone who contributed to this thread.  Thank you all very much!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not completely done, you forgot to paint the ear bar rank in black and the screw heads in white.

You are 100% correct.  I was waiting until full assembly until I put the white on the screw heads and painted the ear rank bar.  Details, details. :)

Thanks Germain for keeping me honest, as always!  :)

Much better indeed. The thickness of the outer black line is better now. It was a little too thick before it.

It means a lot to me to hear you say that.  Thank you for helping to make my helmet look better!

• 1 month later...

Now that I have the assembly of my helmet finished, I wanted to cut back the length of the ear screws (three on each ear) and mic tip screws.

I have found that with my dremel tool, I cannot maneuver it to get a straight cut down on the screws.  That's not going to work.

I have had two people tell me that it's better to cut the screw once it has the nut threaded onto it than before, because the cut can make it so the nut will not thread onto the screw correctly.

Now I have a dilemma.  I shall ask the experts here.   :)  

Should I:

1)  Leave the screw lengths the way they are and figure out some type of cap method to prevent the screws from jabbing and scratching me?

2) Take each screw out I want to cut and do a straight cut with the dremel, and hope that the nut will thread back onto the screw? 

For those who have cut their screws down, how did you do it?  For those who have left the screws the length they are, what did you do to cap them?

Edited by maxsteele