Acceptable gap

So I've been working on my AP TK armor and have an issue with the sides from the kidney plate and the front ab section. I am 5' 11" 205 lbs. so a bit bigger then a Trooper that it was designed for. The gap between these two is larger then all the screen shots and other 501st members pics that I have seen. Is there a certain tolerance in these two sections? should I get a large piece of white elastic to cover this section? Or is just using black elastic like most do acceptable?

Thanks for any input.

I have the same "build". I have a gap in mine. I don't think you'll have any issues with basic approval. There are some how-to's, I think, that show how you can cover the gap with "For Sale" type signs.

Here are my re-activation pics (FX type armor):

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22384-tk-209-esb-conversion-completed-for-re-activation/

Edited by SubSkip

AP is notorious for having huge gaps in the sides. Probably from shallower vacuform tables I'd guess. Screen accurate armor has slightly longer kidney plates & ab plates to help close the side gap. Elastic won't be acceptable. I'd do like Craig suggested & get some cheap for-sale signs from Walmart and cut them to size with the side gaps. :)  

The 501st does not size discriminate. If you are a bigger trooper and want to be a TK , more than likely you are gonna have a side shim or a gap. Only the troopers that care about ultimate accuracy are really concerned about that. Most just want to get out there and TROOP!!!!!

I have a similar build, I found someone with matching ABS and added shims...I like the look better than having a gap. I'm not too worried about the higher ratings, I just want to get out there and play.

AP is notorious for having huge gaps in the sides. Probably from shallower vacuform tables I'd guess. Screen accurate armor has slightly longer kidney plates & ab plates to help close the side gap. Elastic won't be acceptable. I'd do like Craig suggested & get some cheap for-sale signs from Walmart and cut them to size with the side gaps. :)

Not sure what your talking about, parts are correct size, these suit were designed to fit slim actors which averaged 170 lbs. 

Mark

On 7/6/2013 at 3:58 PM, ABS80 said:

Not sure what your talking about, parts are correct size, these suit were designed to fit slim actors which averaged 170 lbs. 

Mark

I wasn't knocking the kit Mark. Please don't think I have a problem with AP. I was just wondering how to take care of the gap. I am extremely pleased with the armor that I received from AP and can't wait to finish it so I can get on my first troop. I found this pic and I feel a lot better now.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

With the CRL we wanted to provide enough of a gap to reflect the fact that there were some small gaps seen on screen, but not make it so big as to be beyond what was seen on screen or really goes past the concept that the armor really covers nearly all of the body. Black gaps are pretty minimal when you look at ANH.

So, we tried to strike a balance between no gaps vs. too much gap.

So using the "For Sale" sign strips is acceptable for basic 501st approval? I got  some and will bring then to my armor party this weekend and I guess see what they say.

So using the "For Sale" sign strips is acceptable for basic 501st approval? I got  some and will bring then to my armor party this weekend and I guess see what they say.

Yes, white plastic shims will be approvable. For any level. Matching shade will help with appearance. If the white shade is off you could paint the shim plastic.I recommend handicap signs since they are thicker and will last longer.

Take a look at this person's setup. This is what I was talking about last time I saw you. This trooper uses side shims. Attach the shim on both insides of the ab/kidney. Cut that shim in half then put rivet/brads where they're supposed to be, on the shim plastic. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22925-tk-0393-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-ap/

Edit: Keep the rivet side (left) the way it's supposed to look. Shim the right using caulk/putty on the seam. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23383-tk-85254-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-capw83/

Edited by TrooperTim

Mark

Well, I'm no armor lineage expert, but I've had AP armor and it's kidney/ab area is clearly a bit smaller than an ATA, which is also TE derived. It would leave a slightly bigger gap on even a very thin person.     

I'm a larger than life TK - 5'6" and 204 lbs (lost 15 pounds in the last 52 days with P90 and diet modifications!) so I had to rely on shims or the armor looked awful.  Here's a few shots of mine.  I used 2 sheets of ABS on each side so that my shims would "fit flush".  I think it looks better than the standard for sale sign modification. 

Please note many fitting changes have been made to the armor since these pictures were taken.  I've submitted for basic approval with Garrison Carida, but expect to see an EIB application soon!

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I did the same thing with my armor, 7" shims on each sides (yeah I'm fat loll). Plus, it keeps everything "in" loll.

I've installed some webbing with snaps from my side shims to my ab plate, just to be sure that my shims don't move and come out while I troop.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk