Does E-6000 really, honestly melt armor?

I have made a bunch of snap plates with black nylon webbing. I want to glue them into my armor today and I have only seen about 1.5 members here express a high level of concern about the melting reaction. 98% of what I've read says I can go ahead and glue them right in and any melting that MAY occur will not be visible from the outside. Opinions?\

Furthermore, I have done extensive googling about E-6000 and heat. Nothing comes up anywhere about it melting plastic. 

I have a 2mm ABS ATA  kit. Can I glue my plates in already or do I really need to put a little piece of tape over the backs of each snap?

I used E-6000 on my entire kit and also used nylon webbing. I have not had any problems with it. Yes, I do believe it melts the plastic a bit, but nothing that has weakened or warped. If anything, it seems to create a stronger bond. If you pull the armor apart to resize later, you will see evidence of some sort of burning. The glued areas will or may be a bit black.

I used black webbing/E6000 and even had the glue touch the metal. I haven't seen a single shred of melting. After reading about the threat, I was a bit more careful in trying to keep the e6000 to just the webbing, but it was by no means perfect.

If you are really concerned, make an extra snap plate and glue it to a piece of ABS scrap. See how it works for you.

I have used it plenty in all combinations. Not once have I seen any indications on melting, even after taking the pieces apart and looking at the join.

Personally I think this is fear mongering and people should stop doing it. Use glue as intended and it will work as intended. IE in moderation and according to instructions.

Melting with ABS cement = absolutely

Melting with E6000 = never experienced it, not even once. Since it's a contact cement and isn't designed to fuse plastic, I'm not even sure how that could happen. :huh:

Come to think of it, the bits where I saw some blackening, where probably in contact with metal. either way, I would not be hesitant to use as much E6000 on your kit as you need to.

I'm sure with ABS, it will be fine.

HIPS, I'm not so sure about. My shoulder bridges on my old HIPS kit looked a little bit "melty" after I reglued them to the chest to position them better.

Even then, I'm not sure about the plastic and the glue creating this reaction. I thought it might have had more to do with the paint I used.

I have been using it on a 1.5 abs build and if you use to much of it , it can eat in to the armour but does not melt it just make sure you clean as you go along and you really can be liberal when using e6000 ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

e-6000 melts hips when in contact with nickle snaps.

it also can melt hips when under pressure and large amounts are used.

it also CAN melt abs to the point where you can see a nickle snap.

I have personal experience with having to purchase new armor parts because the glue melted my hips.

it also slightly melted my ABS too.

ever since I now apply thin layers, and always use tape to insulate my snaps.

this is how I felt when I saw the damaged armor.

bantha poodo!   :deadhorse::lightemperor:

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Melting with ABS cement = absolutely

Melting with E6000 = never experienced it, not even once. Since it's a contact cement and isn't designed to fuse plastic, I'm not even sure how that could happen. :huh:

it generates heat as a part of the cure process?

I haven't had E6000 do anything adverse to my kit. I've used it on the pvc parts and strapping without anything terrible happening.

CA glue on the other hand has wrecked my fingertips and caused me to use many expletives during assembly. :6: 

I have even glued snaps directly to the armor before and there was no melting.

photos?

Sure ill get some posted. It was on an abs kit for my wife we glued the snaps for her TD shoulder straps directly to the armor. It wasn't till after that I read about the melting, but it didnt do any damage and has stayed on for months now.