Spector's First TK Build

Ok so, I’ve been a little intimidated by the sizing of the leg pieces, and decided to work on the helmet for a little bit. Probably not the best Idea I ever had, but I did it none the less. That being said, I managed to screw up both sets of ears, not terribly, but I know it’s there. I learned that a drill goes thru plastic faster than I had originally thought, as evidenced by the shallow hole I drilled into my finger. I also did some work to my TD. I have started to picking up some of the other accessories I will need later like an E-11, neck seal, under armor, holster and a pair of TK boots, thus prompting some creative explanations of monies spent to avoid what is commonly referred to in the MMO world as Wife agro. (To be honest she has been extremely supportive.) Next I will do a touch more sanding, and start on the paint details.

helm1_zpsf051058d.jpg

helm2_zpscd8c33c4.jpg

130118_003_zps8971ac33.jpg

130118_004_zpsce763b8d.jpg

Now back to looking at those pesky leg pieces.

Edited by spector254

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking very nice, only comment I would try to move your TD clips a bit futher out, the DO likes a 1/8 between them and the end cap. Keep up the good work :duim:

Edited by gmrhodes13

Yummy! Good job so far!

Thighs are very hard to get right. Don't beat yourself up of you do them over 3-4-5 times. Seriously, take it from the Thigh Queen.

I'd start with your arms.

"...thus prompting some creative explanations of monies spent to avoid what is commonly referred to in the MMO world as Wife agro."

We might as well start an entire section devoted to this. I think most everyone of us has been there.

All the best on your build!

Looking very nice, only comment I would try to move your TD clips a bit futher out, the DO likes a 1/8 between them and the end cap. Keep up the good work :duim:

The DO? would it be better to move the end caps in? Or move the clips out?

I painted on the lid detail, any comments before final clean up? im not sure about the vocorder, do the three in the middle go to the same level? also I used the money clips from amazon for the TD clips but they can be changed. Suggestions?

voc1_zps4d37290d.jpg

voc_zps39e05edc.jpg

ear2_zps732b0665.jpg

ear1_zps60001af1.jpg

Thanks.

Sam

The DO? would it be better to move the end caps in? Or move the clips out?

I am the DO. ;)

I don't like those clips at all (nothing personal!). Seeker, who's doing an amazing build of his RS armour got his clips from Quixotic5894. I'm not sure if he is making more of the clips, but it might be worth sending him a PM. Otherwise, TM is selling some very nice TD's that are finished and ready to go, and also sells some clips or aluminium bars you can bend yourself. Keep in mind that the TD supplied with many kits use a tube diameter that's too small, and that the original one is larger, and if you buy finished clips they might be made for the larger kind of tube, requiring some adjustments on your part.

No problem, and good luck!

Btw, you might want to put a second coat on those black parts to even out the jagged edges of the paint. Some old/worn paint brushes leave edges like that, so investing a few dollars on a new brush might help with the details when painting. :)

I'm cleaning up the lines, but does the vocorder look alright? or should I put all 3 center black lines on the same level?

Mate head over to starwarshelmets.com, heres the linkhttp://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

You can see theres a lot of variants for the vocorder and you can pick the one you like.

Thanks to everyone for your help so far. This build has been mod intensive from day one. I'm not a small guy, 6 foot 240ish (or however many stone that is for you UK guys) getting it to fit and getting it to not look like crap on a stick are two totally different things. The routine has become something like look at it, try to fit it, bang head on wall, look at FISD, bang head on wall, look at it again, bang head on wall, take a Xanax, go to bed and cry myself to sleep, rinse and repeat. all and all its fun! Will post more pictures as soon as I have some, soon as this headache goes away and I patch the hole in the wall from the head banging. Think I may give myself a concussion if im not careful. anyway back to it, and thanks again!

Edited by spector254

Now wheres that t shirt motto you posted LOL. Don't worry it's not all bad, when you reach the end you will wonder what all the fuss was about :duim:

alright so i did some work on one of my thigh pieces and it just wasnt working with the overlap joint, so i pulled it apart and to get it to fit I had to lengthen the front and add to the cover strip size some.

130123_001_zpsface2f67.jpg

so I took a little off of the natural curve, and set in the cover strip and trimmed it all up a little.

130123_004_zps18518f2e.jpg

this is the result. I still need to clean it up a lot and smooth everything out, but hopfully this will fly. im still working with the back, but didnt want a 3 inch cover in the back so it will look close to this.

Looking good, some examples in the EIB thread from Dday may be good to compare http://www.whitearmo...ib-statustm283/

IMG_6879.jpg

Another EIB thread with triangle back pieces http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/22541-tk-11038-requesting-anh-hero-eib-status-tm4th/

heroback1_zpsb06cd727.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

Thanks Glen, his photos will help alot

No probs Sam, if I am not sure about something I like to check too, sometimes I just head straight to approved EIB's and Centurion threads as you know they made it through so you should be fine.

Once you get over a few initial building problems I am sure you will move along nicely :duim:

Yeah, its not so bad, im building with EIB CENT in mind, and I am being extreamly critical about every cut or imperfection I think I see. I think that if I was just shooting for basic approval standards I would not be trying quite as hard. not sure thats exactly how i meant to say that but you get the Idea. mistakes are part of the build im learning to live with that. this wont be my last build but what i learn now I can help others out with and not repeat on my next build.

Edited by spector254