What's the best armor to buy?

Hey everybody, I have already built one stormtrooper ANH stunt made of the styrene plastic. I'm still rather new to the hobby - just got approved in October. I was considering upgrading to a higher quality costume, but I've heard mixed results as far as which route to go. For example, the ABS plastic is much stronger and more durable over time, but aren't the helmets in those kits usually inaccurate as far as the dome of the helmet goes? Are all the ABS kits the FX kind?

Could someone maybe provide recommendations of the best armor to get that's durable but also highly accurate? Thanks!

Stop by this thread:

http://www.whitearmo...e-to-find-them/

It will answer alot of your questions.

And most New armors like RT-Mod Troopermaster RS etc all use ABS.

The best armor is going to be the one that fits your frame better. nearly all Armors have a much better lid than the old FX monstrosity.

I am 6'1" and 230 lbs. I have an RS kit, a CFO kit and a Troopermaster kit (and yes an original FX kit) and they all fit differently. The troopermaster fits me the best, but I had to add 2.5 inch shims to close the side. The RS Kit is cast from a real honest to god Stormtrooper Suit and helmet and is arguably the "best" available to the prop replica community, but for my frame the shoulders and backplate of the RS kit (I have to add 2.5 inch shims to it on the sides as well BTW) are really too small and leave alot of black. I have decided to combat that by making it a Sandtrooper where the pouches, shoulder pauldrons, and Backpack hide the parts of the armor that do not fit my frame as well.

In all things and especially TK armor YMMV.

So my best advice is go to that thread read the first post and decide from there a few makers to contact.

Hope this helped.

Edited by rhapsodyred99

Also, best can be what your technical skills are or you want them to be. AM & RT armor come pre-trimmed and are the simplest to assemble. Some people like the sanatized look better too. There is also availability issues too - TM, RS, TE2 are all very hard to get ahold of. ATA has a long wait list as well...

ATA's waiting list was 18 weeks could be longer now, I think from what I have seen the the TM and TE2 have a lot of fine detail to them

Thanks for the feedback guys!

What's everyone's thoughts on eFX armor? Isn't the helmet too big and not rounded correctly on top?

Forget about the eFX helmet, and there is no eFX armour. Get something more accurate. It's more bang for the buck(et).

• 5 months later...

Hi guys I'm new to this all and looking to join the 501st. I have been look for a while to see where to buy a good suit. I have found this place and was wondering if you guys have Hurd of or new anyone that have ordered from them. If I get this suit will it be 501 st approved or what kind of modifications that I would need to do to make it good. If you can help me I would be very happy thanks.

http://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/33,33,stormtrooper_costumes.SPECIAL_OFFER___Star_Wars_Stormtrooper_Costume_Armour_with_Accessories_and_Ready_to_Wear___Original_Replica___A_New_Hope___STANDARD_SIZE.html

Hi guys I'm new to this all and looking to join the 501st. I have been look for a while to see where to buy a good suit. I have found this place and was wondering if you guys have Hurd of or new anyone that have ordered from them. If I get this suit will it be 501 st approved or what kind of modifications that I would need to do to make it good. If you can help me I would be very happy thanks.

http://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/33,33,stormtrooper_costumes.SPECIAL_OFFER___Star_Wars_Stormtrooper_Costume_Armour_with_Accessories_and_Ready_to_Wear___Original_Replica___A_New_Hope___STANDARD_SIZE.html

Over priced crap.

You've got to keep in mind that the armor is important, but don't forget that's only part of the equation.  It has to fit you to tee.  As already pointed out earlier in the thread, you should really read this thread:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

There is one other thing to remember.....have patience.  Members here will try and keep you from making costly mistakes on impulse buys because you'd like some armor today or tomorrow.  These recommendations come from helping other individuals over the years.  Yes....  Most of the recommended makers have long wait lists.  Why?  Everyone wants top quality armor!  It's worth the wait.  What are you supposed to do while waiting?  Work on accessories and such.  Help out your local Garrison/Outpost by being a handler/wrangler.  Believe me.... They will appreciate it, and it will give you a taste of the 501st.

You don't have to pay me any attention.  I've only been in the 501st officially for a few weeks.  I worked on accessories and such while pulling handler duties for two years as I was saving up for RS Props.  The people here are always willing to help a new person.  I'm thankful for the members here and my Outpost mates for keeping me focused for so long.

Enjoy!

Patrick

Edited by SmilesLikeJoker