ATA helmet with squirrel fans

Here are some pics of mine. I loosely mounted them on velcro on the mic bumps inside as well. I can adjust the positioning as I need to. Then I ran the wire along the inside of the bottom to the rear. In these particular pictures I also have a wireless velcroed in the back, but it's rarely in lately.

Hope this helps

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Not sure if these are any help

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 3 weeks later...

You're all a bunch of show offs! :lol:

I used a velcro band spread from the neck trim to a pad near the ears to free-float the fan inside the tube area, it blows towards the faceplate. This to avoid noise propagation through vibration. No photo for you!

Edited by Nicky

I'm actually working on mine today. I think I've decided on this location. It blows the air right under my ears to keep my head cool and circulates enough air to keep from fogging up. In the short testing I did it didn't seem to dry my eyes out at all. Still finishing everything up and doing the wiring, but this might give you a general idea.

8253211242_d67fc5b345_z.jpg

8252169215_50574c3f1b_z.jpg

8253238410_4a468cbe08_z.jpg

The padding is repurposed knee pads. $12.00 shipped for a pair was enough for me to do my helmet. Amazon has tons of different ones, and none are very expensive.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

8253240970_b63304b045_z.jpg

I'm using 2 12V Squirrel fans wired in parallel connected to 4 AA batteries wired in series. I was worried about how long they would run with this setup but I've had them running going on 3 hours now and the batteries are at about 5.4volts(down from 6) I wasn't happy with the speed and noise running them at 9v and running two fans in series off of 9v dropped the voltage low enough that the fans barely ran.

Ideally, I think I'll end up using a 2 cell lipo(7.4v) and building a controller but it'll be a while before I have the time to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice Nathan, and very clean. I played with mine for about an hour till i finally found the right spots for them by the mouth area. I used velcro to secure them. I have two squirrel fans powered by a lithium rechargeable battery pack set at the top of my bucket. Plug and play babe, plug and play, for about eight hours.

On 1/9/2013 at 12:58 AM, Tolo said:

What type of fan would be better?

Squirrel fans have the most control over placement and direction.

Check out Ingrid's variables and how to wire them here:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13