Public Service Announcement!

Rare earth magnets are NO JOKE! Lol I just received 20 3/4" x 1/4" N42 magnets and of course my childhood curiosity from science class came out and I HAD to try and mess with them. 10 minutes later I now have 17 rare earth magnets.

Be careful fellow noobs and wear gloves. Heed the warnings of others who have blazed the trails. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by columbiamo

They are pretty powerful. I dropped one and it broke in 2 pieces, then those 2 pieces went shooting across the floor away from each other. And trying to separate 2 that have slammed together isn't fun. Oh yeah, one more thing. They pinch skin. Really good.

Got my finger caught between a couple of them, was not pleasant, plenty strong, managed to chip one when I dropped it 

exactly what do you use the magnets for, I have heard of using them for some parts of armor and making binders of course.

I used them for holding pieces together while waiting for the glue to set. Especially places where clamps wouldn't work.

On 10/20/2012 at 6:20 AM, Pfneisl said:

I used them for holding pieces together while waiting for the glue to set. Especially places where clamps wouldn't work.

This is why I bought mine. Very useful.

On 10/20/2012 at 5:48 AM, gmrhodes13 said:
Got my finger caught between a couple of them, was not pleasant, plenty strong, managed to chip one when I dropped it 

I had the same problem with chipping and breaking with my smaller magnets. I recommend you wrap each one in single layer of painters tape. This will help the breaking problem, but caution should still be taken, They hurt like the dickens when you get caught in the middle of these with the meat side of your fingers/arms. Blood blisters will occur. and if you are alone, your only real option is to PULL it off OUCH!.

Also, when in use on your armour, keep the armour far away from other items being held with magnets or magnetic items, as they will suddely find there way to connection and mess up your gluing handiwork.

Good luck.

On 10/20/2012 at 7:09 AM, chookaboom said:

Also, when in use on your armour, keep the armour far away from other items being held with magnets or magnetic items, as they will suddely find there way to connection and mess up your gluing handiwork.

Good luck.

Don't let this happen to you:

0wcC8Dv.jpg

My ab & kidney plates were about a foot apart on my work bench when they decided to 'get together'

On 10/20/2012 at 7:50 AM, boomshakra said:

Don't let this happen to you:

My ab & kidney plates were about a foot apart on my work bench when they decided to 'get together'

Lol Oh my god sorry to laugh but that sucks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

^^^ I remember when you posted that, that must have been frustrating as heck.

It was a PITA, but E6000 is pretty forgiving so just a minor setback. I've been lucky that only 2 of my 40 magnets have broken, but will probably buy another 20 or so for my next build - like clamps, you can't have too many!

Although it goes without saying, please keep them away from your electronics (computers, cell phones, cameras, etc.) as well. Also keep them well away from credit cards and hotel keys.

Got mine after nearly 3 months of waiting (China....). Awesome magnets. I mean magnets themselves are pretty awesome but these ? I destroyed the first one straight after unboxing when I tried at what distance the magnets would attract each other and one simply shattered.

3 days ago I got skin from my finger jammed between two of them and now I have some kind of blood bubble on that finger.

They arrived way to late to help me build my new armor though, that's what I actually bought them for.