My armor is coming in, now what?

KO22

Ok I have been waiting for months and now I have been told that it is almost ready and it should be shipped in the next week. I am excited but I also realize that now I need some help. I think I have an idea as to how get going through the tutorials but I still have some questions so that I can get started right away. My son wants me to have it ready so I can go out with him this halloween (he also wants a stormtrooper suit, he is only 4 so his will have to be store bought). I know I will most likely not be ready for 501st quite yet but I would like to go for it and EIB status. Again it is my hope. Anyways here are my questions:

1. I have read about using just velcro and the snap method for securing the armor. Which do you think is best?

2. When and where should I get a belt and boots from? I looked at tkboots for the boots, any thoughts?

3. What are some items that will be absolutely needed and sizes? I know I will need velcro, elastic, and various rivets just the number size and color would be helpful. I live in an area where it is sometimes hard to get items so the less trips I have to make the better.

4. Last question, do need to get extra abs plastic for the coverstrips, snap attatchments, etc.? If so where should I get it from, I haven't seen it anywhere and I have been looking.

Thanks Again!

Congrats on your purchase. Here's my 2 cents based on my experience. Others will chime in I'm sure.

1. I used snaps for almost everything. They seemed to hold better.

2. I got boots from TKboots and they were good. My belt came from a vender in the ongoing sales section. Shouldn't be hard to find one. Just search for belt.

3. Going for EI I believe you need about 10 rivets. Just review the CRL's for the EI requirements. Should outline everything.

4. My kit was an ATA kit and there was 2 extra sheets of ABS plastic included for the coverstrips. For the snaps I used webbing. Just seemed to work better for me.

Good Luck!

I'm like you. I'm waiting for my suit to be finished and shipped. I don't have full knowledge, but I'll throw in my two cents.

1. There is standard strapping with the velcro and snaps, and original strapping with brackets, straps, and some snaps. I think it really is preference, but I'm not sure which is "better". I guess it depends on if you're going for screen accuracy. Also, the original strapping can't be used for 2.0 mm ABS, just the 1.5mm because of its flexibility. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2. I can tell you that TK Boots make a very nice pair of boots, and at a very good price. I have a pair and like them very much. The belt can be bought in the Imperial Commissary. Don't forget a neck seal and gloves.

3. Make sure you get the glue you want to use. Most go with E6000.

4. I think that most armor builders include extra ABS for cover strips and such, at least I think they should.

Just a few opinions from a newbie that has been reading a lot of forums myself. Good luck!

Good info so far keep it coming! I knew about the E6000 and I know where to get that. For the belt I am looking at Tkittel in the for sale section. As for the the rivets what types are needed most?

I haven't heard of webbing what is it and how did you use it?

Edited by KO22

You'll need 7 8mm brass split rivets and 2 8mm-10mm brass cap rivets. You can find these on eBay. These are for Centurion standards but you might as well just get it out of the way when you first do your build instead of having to replace them later if you decide to apply for centurion.

There are a few threads here that have lists of things people get together while waiting for the armor. Just look around. Here's mine, I pretty much used everything listed with very little extra stuff left over. I upgraded lots of parts so you can ignore those but all of the upgrades really were worth it.

It's all gathered from reading posts and getting recommendations constantly on here for over several months:

http://www.whitearmo...l=&fromsearch=1

I went a little overboard and aimed for Centurion while I was building so you can probably leave a few of the frills out here and there.

Don't forget your E-11 and holster!

Edited by Solcar23

Sorry forgot to address these:

1. I have read about using just velcro and the snap method for securing the armor. Which do you think is best?

Go snaps for sure!

2. When and where should I get a belt and boots from? I looked at tkboots for the boots, any thoughts?

Belts: Sales threads here, Trooperbay or make your own. Boots: TKBoots all the way!

4. Last question, do need to get extra abs plastic for the coverstrips, snap attatchments, etc.? If so where should I get it from, I haven't seen it anywhere and I have been looking.

You probably won't need it as I understand most armor makers supply you with enough for your build. I know firsthand that ATA supplies 2 sheets which pretty much covered everything I needed.

Good Luck!

For a first build, I strongly recommend the e6000 and nothing else. Tons of spring clamps and rare earth magnets (watch out, they fly!).

Definitely snaps. I like the idea of the brackets and screen accuracy strapping but nobody should even see the strapping and I'm not a living prop - function over form for me. Don't get the snap tool, use the hammer method. Snap tools are unreliable and annoying. Also I seem to spend too much time fixing "velcro troopers" during troops... don't go that way.

TKBoots... better quality than 90% of the shoes I've ever owned, oddly enough! Love 'em.

Cover strip plastic should come with and you can score-and-snap some pretty straight curves with it.

Good luck! When it all arrives, start your build thread in the appropriate area and let the pics fly! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the rubber mallet at a hardware store but a regular everyday hammer will do. You can also by the kit/parts for the hammer method anywhere you can buy the snaps or tool - hardware, fabric, hobby shops. Amazon. Just make sure you get the right toolsgkit for your particular snaps. This usually is done by matching snap model numbers with numbers listed on some obscure part of the kit packaging.

I haven't had any problems using the pliers except you do need a strong grip to squeeze down on the handles whereas using a mallet just means you have to hold the punch tool straight !!! The punch tool will work in areas where the pliers won't reach such as where the belt snaps to the abd plate and the 2 snaps that go onto the butt plate...Once you actually start using either of these tools you'll decide which you prefer...neither cost much so consider buying both if you can't decide....