Icomm + aker volume

Hi

Having recently got my iComm + Aker amp, I wondering at the volume of the static, it seems incredibly loud compared to my voice. I don't have it set in armour yet, so I understand there will almost certainly be some muffling and dislocated of what I hear vs what comes out of the amp.

I did some self-recordings and I have to say that any static pops really do overpower my voice and, over about half volume, the amp feels "too" loud in that the pop actually hurt my ears haha,

I understand this absolutely may just be me not used to it.

So what sort of volume do you run the amp at for general use? I found it takes 4 thumb movements from 0 to full (scientific huh) and at about half the pops are loud, but ok, but my voice feels quiet. Of course it's hard for me to isolate what I hear from my mouth comapred to what I record from the amp

Thoughts and advice, welcome as ever.

thanks all

Edited by kaa1304

I think a lot of is down to my timing, also, repeated trials with vox make me think it isn't catching my voice until a few words in, then smothering it with static.

Do you guys tend to replace the mic, or use the aker one? I feel like it doesn't get my voice unless the mic is central to my lips and about 1cm away. And I never thought of myself as a quiet person!

There is another thread around here that discusses this very topic, including a post with a good technical explanation as to how these types of mics work.

I've found that setting the Aker volume at about 50% is optimal, especially when using it with the iComm. You'll also want to have the mic as close to your mouth as possible (actually touching your lips is perfect), and be sure to speak clearly.

Same issue. I replaced the mic with a cheap unidirectional one I found in a pound shop and it gave an instant improvement. I have also found that the icomm works better with stereo cables rather than monos. Can't say for sure if the icomm has a stereo mic and output interface or if it was just the new leads that helped.

Another vote here for volume at 50% and the mic touching your lips. It makes a vast difference. I also replaced my mic and it made an improvement to the quality of sound. The mic I have also has a small on/off switch on the ear piece so it's handy to be able to suit up and turn the mic on just before you put on your bucket.

The standard crappy mics that come with the Aker are unidirectional, no?

As I have said in the past (and others have said here)

1) EAT the mic.

Right on your lips is the correct postition

I put mine at the (left) corner of my mouth, so I can talk to the left, breathe/cough to the right, and avoid making unwanted Vader effects

2) Use your LOUD voice.

With the amp going, your natural acoustic voice will get drowned out.

But the LOUDER you talk, the louder it comes through the amp.

If you mumble, the amp will mumble also.

Those two tips can't be stressed enough, whether you use the Aker alone or with the iComm.

I'd agree that 50% is pobably ideal volume- I always ping my amp (turn it up until it feeds back, then turn down until just after it stops)- I usually end up set at about 50% anyways.

Another vote here for volume at 50% and the mic touching your lips. It makes a vast difference. I also replaced my mic and it made an improvement to the quality of sound. The mic I have also has a small on/off switch on the ear piece so it's handy to be able to suit up and turn the mic on just before you put on your bucket.

Matt,

what mic did you choose?

I also switched out the mic headset with one from Radio shack (better fit to your head, better response, better clarity) and use a small balloon to cover the foam cover/mic tip to keep any moisture/sweat from shorting it out....

I got the mic headset on sale for $20, but they normally runs $26...

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Again guys, the standard POS mics with the Aker are unidirectional ones.

All that unidirectional means is that the sound is recieved from one side of the mic (compare omni, cardioid and hyper-cardioid patterns if you're interesteed in mic specs)

The actual reason you guys are liking the Radio Shack mic better is because it is a condenser mic (that's why it takes a watch battery to power it)

Standard POS mics are dynamic mics.

Condensers are much more sensitive.

Again guys, the standard POS mics with the Aker are unidirectional ones.

All that unidirectional means is that the sound is recieved from one side of the mic (compare omni, cardioid and hyper-cardioid patterns if you're interesteed in mic specs)

The actual reason you guys are liking the Radio Shack mic better is because it is a condenser mic (that's why it takes a watch battery to power it)

Standard POS mics are dynamic mics.

Condensers are much more sensitive.

One other things is that the mic that comes with the Aker. the flexible part of the headset (gooseneck) does not hold as tightly to your mouth as the Radio shack does.

I used to work in several big name retail music stores (Mars music, Sam Ash and Guitar Center) Honestly, if we were doing pro recording (then you may be looking at major details, but IMHO with what we are doing not the big of a deal) BTW "have you seen those new VT-16s?"

A dynamic mic capsule is a coil of wire suspended close to a magnet. The coil has a diaphragm which gets hit by moving air. This causes the coil to move on its suspension. Because it is in the field of the surrounding magnet, this induces a current into the coil, which becomes the electrical signal sent down your XLR lead to your preamp.

A condenser works quite differently, and is a little more complicated, so here's my simplified version. A capacitor is an electrical component which can temporarily 'store' charge. There are two elements - a rigid back-plate and a flexible membrane (the diaphragm). They are separated by a resistor, in this case air, and a voltage is applied across them, which in this case is a +48V Phantom Power supply. The 'capacitance' (how much it can store) changes when the diaphragm moves and so the amount of air between it and the back-plate changes. The diaphragm is moved, of course, by the incoming sound waves caused by your vocalist or instrument. The changes in capacitance essentially become the electrical signal sent to your preamp.

That is actually a pretty good explanation of how a condenser works. :duim:

I haven't seen the new VT-16's, no.

My only real point was that people keep referring to the Radio Shack mic a uni, when the mic it's replacing is also a uni.

Yeah, it's the right term, but they're both unis.

It's like saying an RS lid is better than a TE2 because it's screen-derived.

(I didn't do 18 months of audio engineering classes to NOT develop pet peeves and snobbery, y'know!

And, well, dammit- the computer I'm sitting at right now happens to be a pro recording setup...

I just get uppity sometimes.)

On 9/16/2012 at 1:38 AM, Darth Furious said:

I haven't seen the new VT-16's, no.

:huh: Most TKs have: 22sec into the video:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

--------------

I've wondered....what does Luke have on the back of his belt? Every other TK has a TD, but his had a box.

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 9/16/2012 at 3:06 AM, Geaux Saints said:

I've wondered....what does Luke have on the back of his belt? Every other TK has a TD, but his had a box.

the box is a grappling hook.

============

Edited by gmrhodes13

Did you guys notice a higher headroom before feedback with the Radioshack mic? I have to keep my Aker inside my back plate in order to get any volume out of it without squeal.

------------

Thanks. I always thought he pulled that from the side of the belt. How fortunate that Luke took the one trooper suit that had a grappling hook. What are the odds? ;) Sorry to treadjack.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Did you guys notice a higher headroom before feedback with the Radioshack mic? I have to keep my Aker inside my back plate in order to get any volume out of it without squeal.

I haven't tried the Radioshack (in theory it should feed at the same volume, or slightly lower because it is more sensitive)

But I can tell you straight up that you need to TALK LOUDER and possibly have the mic closer to your mouth.

Can't stress this advice enough.

The LOUDER you talk -> the LOUDER the signal from mic to amp -> the LOUDER the sound that comes out of the speaker

On 9/16/2012 at 2:54 PM, Darth Furious said:

I haven't tried the Radioshack (in theory it should feed at the same volume, or slightly lower because it is more sensitive)

But I can tell you straight up that you need to TALK LOUDER and possibly have the mic closer to your mouth.

Can't stress this advice enough.

The LOUDER you talk -> the LOUDER the signal from mic to amp -> the LOUDER the sound that comes out of the speaker

Jimmy hit the nail on the head, Be LOUD!!! -----------

Edited by gmrhodes13