For the 1001st time!

Seems to me on all these posts about what armor to buy, every one has an opinion. I seem to be even more and more confused the more I research the topic! I have done a few costumes(TS, DZ, etc) and they all have a bunch of soft parts involved in them. Now, as I look to do a TK(TD) armor, I see that size is an issue as well as movie accurracy. I am 6 foot and 220 lbs. I just want something that will fit me, look close to accurate(if not 100% accurate!), and not cost my first born child. Will I always have to sacrifice accuracy for price and fit? Is there a happy medium? Is this boring you because I am the 9 billionth person to post this question? I thought I knew the set of armor I wanted to buy, but the more I read, the more unsure I am if that will work or if I will be happy with my purchase. I guess I am looking for a bit of a bump in the right direction from those that know. Thanks!

Im 6-00 240 and wear GF/AP with the FX shoulders, arms, forearms. I only had a shim a tiny bit on the thighs. Evrything else is pretty good. The backplate looks a little small for my width, but oh well.

Hey Mike....

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so take what I say with an elephant-sized grain of salt, but here's my $.02....

Opinions about accuracy and quality of armor differ wildly, but this seems to be the general consensus...

TE makes beautiful, incredibly authentic stuff, but he prices at a hefty premium.

GINO makes amazing, highly authentic stuff as well, but it's incredibly scarce, and fabled to have a very sizeable price tag.

TE2 and AP also have ties to the actual screen-used armor, but are in wider distribution and carry a mid-level price tag. Both makers/distributers seem like really solid, stand-up guys to boot.

The four kits listed above do tend to be a little spendy though, and it should be noted that they were all originally built for extras and actors built between 150-160 lbs, 5'10" to 6'. The helmets are 1:1 scaled to the originals, so they're not as roomy as some of the other buckets. But such is the cost for accuracy.

TM's armor is hands-down the best fan-made, all-original sculpt out there, but it's priced accordingly, and the exchange rate compounds it. (He's in England).

The FX armor is widely reputed to be a good fit on larger builds, and is probably the cheapest in the bunch, but it has many inaccuracies, most notably a helmet that's oversized by about 15%.

RT-Mod is another make that gets mentioned a lot as being a good fit for bigger guys.

An option that seems to be growing in popularity with larger guys is purchasing a headless FX kit, and upgrading it with a more accurate bucket.

If you have a smaller head, you can always pick up a TE, GINO. TE2, or AP to compliment your armor. You may have to paint everything to get it to match, however.

Many people recommend an RT-Mod, or a ANH2 helmet if you have a bigger noggin', but still want something relatively accurate.

All that said, if I've learned one thing, it's this: this hobby isn't cheap.

Even the "bargain" FX is going to run you a few C-Notes.

Prepare yourself to part with some significant cash, regardless of what armor you go with.

And that's to say nothing of boots, holsters, blasters, et al.

It's gonna add up. And it's addictive.

The general consensus is that you can minimize costs somewhat by doing business with people through the board, and avoiding eBay.

You're also 100x more likely to receive a quality product.

Other than that -- you're entering the fray, my man. ;)

The merits of each set of armor make for a pretty lively debate around here. Some more civil than others.

You're going to have to sift through quite a bit of salesmenship and hyperbole, unfortunately.

But the bottom line is that it's all subjective.

In the end, your own opinion and your own budget should be your only watermark.

People will give you their opinion until your ears bleed, but ultimately, you're the one shelling out for the stuff, and you're going to be the one trooping in it.

If you think it looks cool, and it makes you happy, and you can afford it, go for it.

99.99% of the guys on the board will support you, regardless.

FX. You seek FX.

T :salute:

Now, I will say this is the most honest post I have EVER seen. Knowing Guns does the TE2 buckets, and then steering a person towards another makers armor is commendable. I would echo this with one addition; go with the FX, sans helmet, and get a more accurate bucket. There are other buckets as well, like the TE2, RT-Mod or AP, but I cannot even guess where to get those other than the TE2.

Best of luck, and keep doing research and decide what you want.

Scott

Welcome to the FISD Mike! I'd look into the RT-Mod first before going the FX route...other than that I have seen guys much bgger than you fit into TE armor :)

Well, sounds like a few more solid suggestions from all of you. Thanks! Yeah, I know this would be confusing and costly. I did a Snowtrooper and it cost me a pretty penny! I guess I just hate the thought of having inaccurate armor, but I guess I also hate the idea of spending a metric ton on armor(I still have a backpack, pouches, BFG, etc. to buy!) I also have to think that if the majority of the 501st has an FX kit, how bad could it be? I guess I could always update it later, right? A lot to think about, but I guess I'll get it. I think now I need to contact the sellers and get prices. This will help out a lot with my decision. Thanks again and I'll see you on the boards!

I also have to think that if the majority of the 501st has an FX kit, how bad could it be?

I really hate statements like that about FX... FX is phasing out, or at least the helmet is. IMO it should be up for discussion now thru the Legion command and then decided on before the year's end, but I'm not command staff.

The main reason most folks have the FX is price and accessability... Last year there were many vendors who were resellers on eBay and people even had websites selling the stuff, you didn't have to jump trough hoops to find it or buy it.

Now it's starting to become less common on that auction site, and easier to purchase more accurate suits and helmets elsewhere on the internet....

It's only a matter of time when FX is in the minority and no longer accepted.

Very true words Tony. I've seen TE armor on someone about your size Mike (first post) and it looked good.

If you want FX and get FX there's nothing wrong with that. But it is the fact that of the common makers it's the lowest on the accuracy and acceptability bar, and even if the armor stays around for awhile the helmet's days are surely numbered.

I think as long as you are aware of that, then it's OK to move forward. Heck, my sandtrooper is FX (though with an AP lid!) and I don't see myself replacing it until I have to. But then, I've gotten quite a bit of troops out of it, so my situation is different.

Just so it's clear - it's your suit and if you like FX there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it!

IMO it should be up for discussion now thru the Legion command and then decided on before the year's end, but I'm not command staff.

And, IMO, Thank God for that!!! Not to bash anyone, but you're talking about a LOT of troopers that would not take to kindly to being told they have to replace their armor. :blink:

I have several friends who have worn FX armor for years and are very much aware that it is not 100% accurate, but they wear it and love it, nevertheless. It's good enough for them, and it's good enough for me. Now, what does that say about me? It says I love Star Wars enough to spend several C-notes on a nice costume and do my best to make it look as good as I can with what materials and funds I have available. Period. Anyone that says otherwise can kiss my butt-plate. :huh:

Mike, don't let ANYONE try to tell you what's right for you. It's totally your decision, and if that decision is FX, then so be it.

On a side note, yes I do intend to upgrade my FX bucket, but I have no plans to do that in the near future. Far more important things await! :)

(Steps off soap box and moves away for next in line...)

The main reason most folks have the FX is price and accessability... Last year there were many vendors who were resellers on eBay and people even had websites selling the stuff, you didn't have to jump trough hoops to find it or buy it.

Truer words were never spoken. I have an FX kit, and it is going TD this winter. I bought an FX kit because I thought it was the only play in town (man, was I wrong). Looking back, I probably would not have bought an FX kit, but I did and I have made the best of it. I also agree with Paul that the bucket is the "biggest" reason for me to maybe rethink my purchase.

Had I not jumped with both feet so fast, I would have learned a lot more BEFORE I bought. You are going at it the right way, and do not let anyone else decide what you want to buy. Make your own decision and buy what makes you happy.

Truer words were never spoken. I have an FX kit, and it is going TD this winter. I bought an FX kit because I thought it was the only play in town (man, was I wrong). Looking back, I probably would not have bought an FX kit, but I did and I have made the best of it. I also agree with Paul that the bucket is the "biggest" reason for me to maybe rethink my purchase.

Had I not jumped with both feet so fast, I would have learned a lot more BEFORE I bought. You are going at it the right way, and do not let anyone else decide what you want to buy. Make your own decision and buy what makes you happy.

I made the same mistake! That is why I am a little more verbal about my hatred of FX... I bought FX - saying - it's not that innaccurate...most 501st wear it...and it's cheaper! How could I lose?!?

:unsure: I was wrong - Literally 2 months later I got a different set...

Granted, I know and knew then that FX was WAY off, as far as accuracy is concerned... but I was trying to justify my purchase - I just couldn't wait to jump into some armor!

From where I'm standing, there are several things abou tthe currently accepted costume standards that need revising, but as with most things of this nature, there's a difference between passing an updated standard and enforcing it. The intervening time is spent educating the public (as we're doing here and on other Detachment boards).

Part of the reason it took me five years to get my initial 501st costume done is that I didn't want to waste time and money on a "passable" costume that I'd end up either discarding once I got the one I wanted, or discarding once I upgraded to a higher-quality version of what I had. I'd rather wait twice as long and get a TE2 than get an FX sooner. This is not a hobby for the impatient, and I'm more than willing to delay gratification if it means I am able to do the best damn costume I can when I'm all done.

--Jonah

I originally considered FX because of price but then realized I would have to buy a new helmet right away (I'm only 5'7"). Buying a new helmet + FX cost I might was well buy a more expensive armor set, so I did. I bought the AP kit. I guess if you are serious, why pay a little now and a lot later when you know you will upgrade the kit sooner than later. Though fit was also critical for me and AP is one of the smaller sets of armor out there. All the original troopers were about 5'11". both FX and RT are made for larger guys. I think the RT guy told me he is 6'2" and resized his armor design to fit his frame better.

Mike,

Looks like you got a lot of inputs to go over.

When I first started troopin' in 2004, I started out with a set of FX armor I purchased from a 501st member in Southern California. I was totally happy with it (bobble-head and all) until I ran across TK-409 's website. At that time, he was advertising "screen-accurate" armor and had several photos of his "TE" armor.

Well, as they say...the rest is history. I absolutely love my TE armor (I've got two, TK and TD) AND yes, I did pay a pretty penny - which brings me to my point: This shared hobby of ours can become very expensive. However, each one of us decides on the type of armor we want and how much each one of us can afford. Each one of us decides what's acceptable (to us) and what standards we're aiming for.

I'm probably one of the more "senior" troopers out here in the galaxy (over forty-five, married twenty-one years, loving wife who fully supports my SW passion, retired military, full time job, $3500.00 mortgage payments, two college kids, three dogs & five fish) so my "disposable" income might be a "tad" more than say a thirty year old husband-father.

So I thank God for my blessings, that I am able to enjoy my chosen white armor, and that I can share my experiences with others who love stormtroopin' as much or more than I do...do what's right for you bro!

(falls off backwards from the soap box...NEXT!)

Aloha,

I appreciate all the input you have given me. Without sounding ungateful, I know that costuming is expensive. I have been at this for a bit now. I think that the two major things here for me are this: I, like Guns said earlier, am married with 4 kids. Money's tight. That doesn't mean I'll buy the cheapest or the most readily available. I just want to get all the angles on all of the different styles of armor. This way, when I do buy, I will be doing so based on a bunch of research and not some SWAG! I'll pay what I have to in order to be accurate. That, after all, is the name of the game. I think another thing that has me guessing is how much these different sets cost. Saying it's a bit more for AP compared to FX doesn't tell me much. A bit more could be $2,000 or it could be $50. I don't know. This isn't in any way any ones fault. It's just the secretive nature of this hobby. I guess I really need numbers(prices) for all the styles or addresses in order to contact these makers and get the prices. I'm not going to buy something cheap in order to get into it quickly. I want to look like the movies. Lets face it-it's easy to impress the general public. It's another thing to impress another costumer. :P In conclusion, you guys have been a giant help in telling me what's good and bad about them all. I just need prices to see what I can afford and what I can fit into my budget. It's my choice. I just want it to be an informed one. :)

I'm sorry -- I couldn't read anything past the bit about mortgage payments.

The room started spinning, and I don't remember much after that. :P

Totally off-topic, but what island do you live on, Guns?

I was just in Maui -- Ka'anapaili -- this August and LOVED it.

My second day there, I called my CEO and started reading from the "office space available" section of the classifieds. :lol:

He wasn't havin' it. :(

Anyway, I want to go back next summer-- maybe we could go get a beer or something. :)

I absolutely love my TE armor (I've got two, TK and TD) AND yes, I did pay a pretty penny - which brings me to my point: This shared hobby of ours can become very expensive. However, each one of us decides on the type of armor we want and how much each one of us can afford. Each one of us decides what's acceptable (to us) and what standards we're aiming for.

So I thank God for my blessings, that I am able to enjoy my chosen white armor, and that I can share my experiences with others who love stormtroopin' as much or more than I do...do what's right for you bro!

(falls off backwards from the soap box...NEXT!)

Aloha,

Guns,

This is one of the best responses yet, IMO.

These boards are full of arguments, disagreements, or whatever you want to call them over what type of armor is best. I am far from an expert, actually I was happier when I was more ignorant. :unsure:

Anyway, as with any hobby, there is a logical place to start. Some folks like to jump in with both feet and just have fun, some are a little more cautious and just stick in one leg to see how they like it, and a few stick in one toe, back up and re-examine things. In my case, I'm more of the middle-ground. When researching for my armor, I looked at different suits, e-mailed and communicated with different vendors and researched some more. I learned that some armors were "more accurate" than others and some were better built than others. I also learned that there are some dealers that I would rather go to the trouble of making my own vacu-form table and molds than to buy from! :blink:

Underneath it all though, I am just a simple guy (married 13 years, two kids, mortgage, two dogs, three cars.....etc.). I am also simple to please. In so many things, I have strived SO hard to get to the point I feel is the best, only to find that there wasn't as much satisfaction to be had as I thought there would be. All this is why I went with FX first.

I look at the FX kit as a challenge, not a hindrance. It fits my budget, it has places that can be improved upon, and seeing as how I am just starting out in SW costuming, if I screw up, it's not as big a deal as if I cut a TE2 or an AP, and it's a great learning experience too.

You will never hear me outright bash any armor types, because they're just like us, all different. That is what makes costuming great! There is an attempt at coming as close to screen as possible. It's called Elite. Anything less should have minimum standards, but those standards should be set by the legion, not a garrison, not a region and certainly not a few individuals.

I've said all that, to say this. Please don't be fooled into thinking I am FX-is-best. I know it isn't. If I had my way, there would be no bashing of any one type of armor, only praise for those who are talented enough to sculpt, mold and form the armor styles we have. (Even if some of them need a good knock off their high-horse.) So, let folks strive to achieve Elite status and let them strive to do the best they can on building their armor; just don't pick apart their choices because of our own personal biases.

(Stomped that soapbox flat...)

I appreciate all the input you have given me. Without sounding ungateful, I know that costuming is expensive. I have been at this for a bit now. I think that the two major things here for me are this: I, like Guns said earlier, am married with 4 kids. Money's tight. That doesn't mean I'll buy the cheapest or the most readily available. I just want to get all the angles on all of the different styles of armor. This way, when I do buy, I will be doing so based on a bunch of research and not some SWAG! I'll pay what I have to in order to be accurate. That, after all, is the name of the game. I think another thing that has me guessing is how much these different sets cost. Saying it's a bit more for AP compared to FX doesn't tell me much. A bit more could be $2,000 or it could be $50. I don't know. This isn't in any way any ones fault. It's just the secretive nature of this hobby. I guess I really need numbers(prices) for all the styles or addresses in order to contact these makers and get the prices. I'm not going to buy something cheap in order to get into it quickly. I want to look like the movies. Lets face it-it's easy to impress the general public. It's another thing to impress another costumer. :P In conclusion, you guys have been a giant help in telling me what's good and bad about them all. I just need prices to see what I can afford and what I can fit into my budget. It's my choice. I just want it to be an informed one. :)

Here is a visual PIC of the FX next to an ESB trooper... :)

starmorcompared.jpg

Here is a visual PIC of the FX next to an ESB trooper... :)

starmorcompared.jpg

Just wondering.... what's the "ANH Accurate" trooper doing with ESB hand-plates? :huh::)

You didn't put that text on the photo did you Bernard? :P (Just pickin'. I read your typed text above.)

In this case we mean ANH to be "ANH sized", e.g. correctly sized to what was seen on screen. That "ANH sized" armor is done in a very nice ESB configuration. ESB has different handplates and you can see they also got the helmet details correct. For the make, it looks an awful lot like TE, but I think it's AP from the helmet.

FYI there are rumors going 'round that FX will be coming out with a new helmet sculpt, but I have no concrete info. Maybe someone else does?

Totally off-topic, but what island do you live on, Guns?

I was just in Maui -- Ka'anapaili -- this August and LOVED it.

My second day there, I called my CEO and started reading from the "office space available" section of the classifieds. :lol:

He wasn't havin' it. :(

Anyway, I want to go back next summer-- maybe we could go get a beer or something. :)

Currently I'm holed up in a little grass shack on the island of Oahu.

There's another FISD member who's bound for Maui next year, perhaps the three of us could get together for some cold beverages of our choosing while conducting an on-beach bikini inspection... :rolleyes:

Just let me know when you're coming out and if my work schedule will allow it, I'll fly over and we can discuss the merits of helmet fans and the use of two-way radios in our buckets... :P

Just wondering.... what's the "ANH Accurate" trooper doing with ESB hand-plates? :huh::)

You didn't put that text on the photo did you Bernard? :P (Just pickin'. I read your typed text above.)

To further what Daetrin was saying - ANH armor was reused for ESB (and new armor wasn't made for ESB)- so essentially it is ANH armor (therefore there really isn't any ESB armor)...but that trooper is sporting the ESB look (Different handplate, right holster and the black frown on the helmet)