Pepakura armor for trooping?

Hey, guys and gals! I am really interested in two things: Star Wars, and joining the 501st... and FISD, I suppose. ( I honestly didn't know there were two clubs, till recently.) So, I have already begun a helmet build from pepakura, and I know everybody is doing it, so big woop, right? I need some of you BA troopers to post on this thread and let me know what the deal is on pepakura armor passing mustar. Can it be done? Has it been done? I see tons of stormie buckets on the web, but no armor. I have fierfek's pdo files for everything I need, and I am willing to put the time in to class them up to specs, but I need to know if they can pass. And to be clear, I intend to build the pep, bondo and sand, detail and possibly vacuform the final. ( vacuforming won't change anything visually, but it will make things cleaner... and lighter. OK, the thermal detonator is in your court...

It really has to be a clean and accurate build, i.e."movie quality costume".

Better check with your local garrison first who will carry out your application

but doing it this way, you'll spend much much more than buying a kit.

Edited by Sonnenschein

Btw, the FISD is a detachment of the 501st. So it is the same club. Just, the part specialized in Stormtrooper armor and variations.

Good luck with your build. And welcome.

:)

Saludos.

It really has to be a clean and accurate build, i.e."movie quality costume".

Better check with your local garrison first who will carry out your application

but doing it this way, you'll spend much much more than buying a kit.

I don't know much about Pepakura, is it that expensive?

Just adding my two cents on this. What you are proposing is very similar to the way I am making my scout trooper costime. Pep, harden, sand and vacuform (in theory that is. I have made most of the armor pieces, and most of the vacuform machine. still need to find parts for the heating element.) Yes, it will be more expensive than buying a kit. But at the end of the day, it will be made by my hand, and that is my point in doing all of this, and sounds like yours too.

In regards to the cost in general, seeing as the other ways to make your own molds to vacuform include either and ungodly ammount of modeling clay or specilized wood carving tools, the cost of bondo/card/fiberglass resin/fiberglass mat doing it pepakura will be somewhat cheaper, if you buy in bulk.

The Queen of Hand Guards is right about one thing. It will take you and ungodly ammount of time. But you are going to be so satified with each piece you build.

pep models usually are not correct in the first place. so your source model will start out incorrect.

and then you'd need to extensively modify that sculpt to get it right.

the 501st does not approve cardboard costumes, as an example. the 501st represents screen accurate high quality builds.

even a biker scout costume has high standards, and pepakura is seen as a "shortcut" for getting the base shape down.

only problem is, the computer file was made up as a fun costume, not a 501st quality model.

Bondservent is also correct. The pep models themselves are going to be just a very basic shape of what you will need. Sculpting, no matter how you do it is going to be a long and VERY detailed process. He knows what he is takling about, he has given me good advice already about sizes for trooper helmets

Firstly: welcome, and good luck.

However.

As a member of one of the largest , and most creative, garrisons in the 501st I would make one observation.

Not one of us has been cleared wearing Pep armour.

To get a set of pep armour up to a clearable standard will cost you far more than the cheapest accurate kit will. Better to take pride in having assembled your own purchased kit to a high standard than to make a rod for your own back and go via a route that may end in dissapointment..

If money is an issue hen the simple answer is save.

The 501st will still be here in a couple of months when you can afford a kit.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but, would you rather someone pees on your dream and saves you time and money or have people give you false hope and cost you hundreds?

Best of luck, regardless of the route you choose. :salute:

Welcome to FISD! (As mentioned, we ARE the 501st, just the super-awesome specialization of stormtroopers.)

I don't know the first thing about the pepakura system except that it looks like a pain in the royal bupkus. If you are up for the challenge, my lid goes off to you!

Since nobody has directed you here yet (though you might already have found it), this is the first step toward getting approved.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11538

So the choice is yours - a lot of work and extreme satisfaction to ensure its accuracy for approval and membership; OR a faster, somewhat less challenging build of your own from approved armor-makers. (I say "faster" assuming it gets shipped to you faster than your sculpting of an entire kit... but you might be that good! :) )

Good luck!

Btw, the FISD is a detachment of the 501st. So it is the same club. Just, the part specialized in Stormtrooper armor and variations.

Good luck with your build. And welcome.

:)

Saludos.

Thank-you for the info. And I am happy to be here. collaborating with persons who enjoy Star Wars as much as I do is a real treat! Once I am a trooper, I will be in Force-Heaven!!! :)

I don't know much about Pepakura, is it that expensive?

I didn't think it would be, but it just might... my break-in project was an iron man mark iv helmet. I spent 2 bucks on the paper, and about 1.50 on the ink... 5.00 on the glue and then I had to drop 20.00 on the resin and fiberglass. I haven't even started to bondo and sand; then I have to paint it. It will have cost me about 50 or 60 by the time I finish it, and could buy one off e-bay for about the same.

You guys are awesome! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I can't wait to be a part of the team... I will heed all of your good advise, and I believe it may be in my best interest to save up and buy a kit to start with. I'm not chickening out, it just seems like a wiser choice when weiging the pros and cons. So, if you don't mind, Could anyone recommend a good kit to save for? (Something with some weight to it. I don't want to feel like I may break it if I sit down or trip.) The helmet I am working on, now, is for my brother, so I need a bucket, too. ANH Hero would be my first choice. I don't need an E-11 I already have some awesome blue-prints for a PVC re-production... Thanks again, everyone!!! I love you, already. :jc_doublethumbup:

I didn't think it would be, but it just might...

It will, I assure you. A friend of mine made an amazing War-Machine armor by using pepakura and he spent a lot of money for a fiberglass costume (which is not approved in 501st I think, but I could be wrong. I've never seen fiberglass stormtrooper armor approved). Yes, I read your goal is to go for a vacuum, but this will further increase your costs.

Moreover, as other members already told you, pepakura is not accurate for stormtrooper projects. I saw very amazing Ironman armors coming out from pepakura, but Ironman armors are simmetrical and perfect, while stormtrooper armors are not. So, at last, your choice to go for a kit is the good one.

Edited by lightside

:huh: $700.00?!? Where is a Womp-rat when you need one? I feel like shooting something!!! :6: That is a lot of money for me. It'll take me a year or more to come up with that. Well, it's like my father always said, " Building armor aint like dusting crops, boy! With-out precise calculations you could fly thrue a star or bounce to close to a super-nova and that would end your trip real quick!" All is not lost, though. I will remain in your company and piece my suite together piece by piece... PEACE!!! :peace:

OK, good people, if I am gonna be financing the Death Star, anyway, are there any ANH kits out there that are ABS, screen- accurate and strong as a wookie? Cause if I have to buy somebody elses, I wanna be able play football in it. I don't want to buy something cheap to start out with that will crack if I sit down in it. If you could give me a name and price estimate, I promise not to go postal. :icon_beg: BTW, you have all been so very kind to me, and I am grateful.