Snap Plate Material

I use styrene plastic from the hobby store. You get it by the train section.

I use a plastic bottle lid to clamp the plastic down when gluing and it makes it hold very snug and tight to the armor and helps is with the curve areas. I have never had an issue with any of them coming off or loose or break or anything.

On 8/17/2012 at 3:09 AM, YouCantBe Sidious said:

I like using the excess strapping material. It bends and adheres very well to the curves and corners of the armor.

What do you mean by excess strapping material? Is it like the material below?

On 8/17/2012 at 4:39 AM, Sonnenschein said:

fabric snap plates? huh? where have you seen that?

This is what I was talking about.

---------------

Do I have to worry about the snaps "melting" (or warping) the armor if I do this?

here's my take on the snap plate:

this is for the dritz type of snap, the line 24 tandy is different

after you set the snap add a rivet from the back

-----------------

I never knew E6000 melted armor when applied to metal surfaces. I used the stuff all over mine with no melting but It might have been because mine is thicker than most. ;)

I never knew E6000 melted armor when applied to metal surfaces. I used the stuff all over mine with no melting but It might have been because mine is thicker than most. ;)

Never had any problems with that either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OK I see an old thread about this: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11670&hl=6000#entry150371 Seems it's the HIPS plastic that warps with e-6000. ABS not so much. My armor is ABS. I love this place!!! I learn something new everyday! :)

the abs melt is so slight under heavy clamp pressure you can see the outline of the snap if you put glue on it and apply pressure.

it depends upon how much glue, how hot it is in your area, and the pressure applied.

if a person makes their tab large enough, and they only use a small amount of glue, then it happens less often.

I know for sure that hips melts like butter with a snap and glue.

it ruined an hips backpplate, which needs to be replaced.

people who have used nylon webbing have experienced some snap pull out.

and have had to replace them.

I've used leather snap plates on my black armor, looks cool on the inside.

not that I've trooped in the black armor yet, but it's something I have done.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Yes - the nylon type strap material with the snaps in it, is my prefered method for snaps, as you showed above in the photos. It holds very well and doesn't crack like ABS has a tendency to if you use thin bits. :)

Personally I believe this "E-6000 bad snap combo" depends on what kind of snaps you use. Mine are always lacquered and not raw metal (I buy expensive snaps), so in my case the glue doesn't have direct contact with the snap.

I used the nylon snap plate method from Darth Aloha (that's actually a pic of my armor that Dominic used as an example). Femtrooper Julie recommended it as well and although it was really easy to install the snaps and they molded to the curves of the armor perfectly, I will admit that I had one snap pull out from the front on the double shoulder snap plate on the back plate. This happened because I just used the snap tool and the front and back of the snap wasn't tight enough. I was able to squeeze it back in and CA glue it and it is solid as a rock now. I would definitely recommend that you make doubly sure that the snap it fully compressed into itself. Tap it with a hammer and the setting tool after you've used the snap tool just to make sure it's solid, then try to twist it and if it feels loose tap it until it sits tight.

On mine I used canvas doubled over a couple times so it was thick enough for the snaps I was using, they were the tandy leather ones with 1/4" studs. I put enough glue to soak though the canvas and clamped over night. They turned out solid with no pull though after 30+ troops.

Doh!

But you can hardly call them "plates", can't you?

Snap webbing? Fabric snap things? Snap strips? Snap dakine?

I stole the idea from Kevster maybe?

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...