My Sterling conversion

JackSpratt

I've been gathering the bits and pieces for this build for a while now and have finally found some time to get going.

Started by giving the Sterling a bit of a clean, not too much as it was rightly pointed out that I shouldn't remove years of natural weathering.

I was looking forward to the T-track the least so I tackled that first. Tried the hot water method but ended up using the lighter as it was quicker, one or two bubbled ever so slightly with the heat but I managed to tidy them up a little and hide them on the bottom.

It wasn't as tricky as I'd imagined and I might pick up some more down the road and try and get them all perfect.

Not having any experience with this I'm quite pleased with the results and I'm looking forward to the next job, shortening the magazine. This will probably be Tuesday If I can farm the kids out to Grandma and Grandad's :)

U2gkkdd.jpg

kZwsv4I.jpg

oTuWALX.jpg

zcvObTO.jpg

QHWlEPE.jpg

qUMNVs4.jpg

3Mn1sf4.jpg

A quick thanks to Rob for his help and letting me bend his ear on a regular basis and thanks for looking.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob, thanks for the gentle push. Kids are great but they seem to create a black hole for my time :D

So I actually got round to cutting the magazine last weekend and think I've gone as far as I can go until Andy has more news on his power cylinders.

I didn't take metal work at school but I got there in the end, a little cutting (metal & fingers), bending and filing I ended up with this

K7unKXn.jpg

Ejd3SeG.jpg

ttjmKEn.jpg

gQKNdh3.jpg

3Mn1sf4.jpg

Onto the scope rail and last month having already bent Rob's ear with general Sterling stuff I asked him about his fancy looking rail. Being the top man that he is he very kindly offered to make me one which was an offer I couldn't refuse! I feel this has taken my Blaster to a level I couldn't have reached, such a quality job even sorting my counter too, thanks again Rob, I love it! :duim:

So put it all together and whack it on my MR stand it looks like this

pFoZNG3.jpg

CwMFiYL.jpg

KITObq6.jpg

RPvvjR7.jpg

NsAcqMK.jpg

ES8Q3uv.jpg

This is quite easily my new favourite item in my collection, practically straight from the film into my house!

Thanks again Rob, you're a star.

On 8/4/2012 at 6:15 PM, Turrican said:

Nice one Matt. Is this a live arm?

Unfortunately it's a new spec deactivation so no moving parts, old spec would've been cool but the money and timing was right.

Cheers,

Matt

This blaster is a thing of beauty. Really awesome work.

Looks great Mark, have you given yours a paint job or is it just a different finish/condition?

Sorry to derail but ditto to that question.

Not sure if 'neat' would've been my first choice to describe it :) but I'm happy.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

You don't want it too neat. Screen used blasters were far from perfect :)