Help with sniper plate for Centurion

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can we see a series of photos of your knee plate from the outside and the inside?

and remember the original knee plate in this thread is an AP knee.

so it does differ from the TM. or RS props.

when I wear my AP... I need rivets.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

That is a TM kit yes. It's the 2 mm version. No reason why a 0.080 gauge AP could not be glued. Mine is just as stiff if not stiffer than the AP plastic.

the AP has a LOT of differences.

that's why the standards allow rivets.

it's the long term stess factor.

The standard allows for rivets for legacy reasons. It's how people always have done since the FX days. That does not mean that it's right or that there's a reasoning behind it.

I also happen to have a young garrison mate of mine, merely 18 years old with an AP kit and his knee plate is glued on just fine.

ever notice that the knee plate is missing from this photo

captur12.jpg

was it GLUED on?

if it was riveted it would still be there.

so for centurion we should have a standard that can fall off?

Durr.. It's what I've been trying to say. It was glued on. Yes it fell off. Do you have any idea how crappy the original suits were? Fragile, thin plastic, not handled with care at all during filming. Used extensively in both tunisia and england for filming and then for promotion. How is this any surprise that things broke?

Could you please stop trying to manipulate simple facts taken out of context in order to support your agenda? Rivets are allowed across the board right now. The only thing that has ever been up to debate is if they should be allowed for Centurion, a voluntary program designed for accuracy, not for trooping (although that's no problem either as there are multiple examples of).

Yes it was glued on Vern.

Care to point out the holes you are refering to?

RSshins.jpg

I don't know why you have to talk rubbish all the time. If you don't know something for sure, don't say anything. You are making yourself look foolish by being proved wrong all the time. Just a friendly tip ;)

so every kit needs to be glued?

then why did it fall off?

see above photo of RS pros.

so... we're saying that we should advocate a method

where our armor will fall apart?

notice how the knee has fallen off?

my armor has a rivet, is EIB and does not fall off.

should the centurion standard support a concept that will fail?

so every kit needs to be glued?

then why did it fall off?

see above photo of RS pros.

Durr.. It's what I've been trying to say. It was glued on. Yes it fell off. Do you have any idea how crappy the original suits were? Fragile, thin plastic, not handled with care at all during filming. Used extensively in both tunisia and england for filming and then for promotion. How is this any surprise that things broke?

standards should allow both.

It is, and will always be for basic and EI. The only thing up to debate is Centurion. And any kind of official debate on the issue hasn't even started or even been planned yet. So what's your problem?

I am not up to spec on the officail requirements for Centurian but I believe the idea is to make your armour as accurate as possible. If that is the case then you should aim to glue the sniper knee as per the screen used pieces. The screen used costumes ARE Stormtroopers. Everything else is other peoples versions, so choose which one you want to look like ;)

Paul, I don't think anybody expects you to know the Centurion specs, and either way your screen accurate builds exceed them by far. But in case you're curious sometime, here's where we keep them. Centurion requirements include all the bullets, the black, blue and red. EIB is only black and blue.

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

On a side note, I'm going to throw this out there as a big positive for AP. To help me get Centurion and not have to fill and make my knee look ugly. Mark Harrison from AP is sending me a spare knee sniper plate he happens to have lying around for only postage. Another awesome reason to buy from AP. :salute:

As far as the Centurion rivet or not issue - I leave that to the experts. And very curious how it turns out.

It'll hold up just fine. What do you expect yto be doing in your armour really? You're not supposed to play rugby in it. If E-6000 is strong enough to hold the rest of your amour together, it can hold a piece that receives little to no stress at all. And if not, it was more likely poorly glued on rather than a fault with the glue itself.

Good point about it getting no stress. My gluing skills better be up to par!

I just uses Velcro to secure my sniper plate. I put a Big piece at the middle, and some smaller ones at the sides.

Till today, it never fall of or moved. Maybe one Day I will glue it down.

For me, it looks cleaner without the Rivets, I don´t like them anyway.

• 1 month later...

My opinion is that rivets show, there's no logical place to put them esthetically on the sniper plate so I didn't approve it for "out of the house"-status :)

But it's right that the sniper plate will never perfect-fit the shin after it was trimmed and assembled to our prefs. So instead of photoshopping every frame of my blu-rays I put on the Bananarama CD, grabbed the heat gun, and bent the shape until it fits without any effort AND IT's... not that a big deal. It just hurts to do without gloves. Oh, and you can also use a dremel to make tracks for the ridges underneath.

My shins are quite slim so you can see the slight bending squeeze on the sniper plate at places, but I don't think they really bother.

IMAG0617.jpg IMAG0618.jpg IMAG0619.jpg IMAG0620.jpg IMAG0621.jpg IMAG0622.jpg IMAG0623.jpg

Edited by Nicky