Help with sniper plate for Centurion

I don't think that having AP should make a difference.

My greaves/sniper plate are recast derivatives of AP, and I use glue and it holds. So the real deal should be able to hold.

And I put my kit through some severe stress- hell, I've even knelt down onto my sniper plate once when I absent-mindedly went down on the wrong knee- on asphault, mind.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh mine was still a nightmare to do. But once it stuck (and it was not easy by any means), it stuck.

In any case, other people have managed with genuine AP, so I stand by my point.

And I agree. What I am saying is that they are maybe more difficult than other makes of armour.

Certain kits offer certain challenges.

AP = stubborn sniper plates.

FX/AM = long chest & back.

I definitely don't think we should be making exceptions in the EIB/Cent requirements for particular makes just because they have quirks.

Certain kits offer certain challenges.

AP = stubborn sniper plates.

FX/AM = long chest & back.

I definitely don't think we should be making exceptions in the EIB/Cent requirements for particular makes just because they have quirks.

I agree as well. Almost all kits have their quirks and it's just to learn to live with them. RS has shins that are really tricky to figure out for example (and the knee plate is in turn affected by that). The only kit I know of with little to no serious quirk is TM. But TM is sculpted that way. To fit well together.

I say stubborn because (as Mathias noted) on fan-sculpt kits it is literally made to go on nicely.

My old (FX) sniper plate was effortless to install- it just fit perfectly.

Like I said, each kit has quirks/hurdles to deal with.

You simply accepted and dealt with this one- because you didn't think of it as hard (having no comparison) you possibly don't realise how easy it is on other kits.

Make sense?

Yeah AP is notorious for the sniper plate. Ask LadyinWhite about it. Haha. I learnt a lot from her build and took it into consideration when I put mine on. It turned out "okay" but at least that knowledge has been passed on to the other AP recruits in the T4BP now so they should have a better time than I did. It's all about trial, error, learning, and passing it on. :)

I don't think that EIB/Cent should take armour type into consideration.

We all need to follow the same standards, some things are easier than others for the different types is all. It's part of the challenge. :)

Edited by bigironvault

Agreed! This isn't Lego lol If it doesn't fit, dremel and heat gun is your friend to whom you can't say "No". Because fitting to the wearer's body is a requirement even at 501st standard approval level, am I correct? The sniper plate also has to be fit to the width of the assembled shin, not only for the glue to take but because the sniper plate wants to be bent, it's begging to be heated and bent nicely to shape. If it's already going nicely out of the box, then you'll probably want to heat it anyway :)

Example of how absurd it is to take things out of the CRL because kits don't all go nicely: I ate lots of celebration pancakes because my hotel was next to Ihop and so I busted my 1/2 inch gap limit on the side by about 2 inches even when I suck in, making me not acceptable for EIB. I'm not asking to change the CRL, and I can't stop eating pancakes now, I just don't go for EIB unless I add matching ABS tab to fill the gap. Many don't have to do that extra work on their kit but I'm ok with it :)

Edited by Nicky

I don't think that EIB/Cent should take armour type into consideration.

Ah, but it already does- special clauses abound for FX and AM! :D

(yes, I knew what you actually meant, just an example of how wordage can be tricky)

Ehm. This isn't Lego lol If it doesn't fit, dremel and heat gun is your friend to whom you can't say "No". Because fitting to the wearer's body is a requirement even at 501st standard approval level, am I correct? The sniper plate also has to be fit to the width of the assembled shin, not only for the glue to take but because the sniper plate wants to be bent, it's begging to be heated and bent nicely to shape. If it's already going nicely out of the box, then you'll probably want to heat it anyway :)

You are quite correct. As I said, you had the right approach- you didn't think of it as hard. (do or do not, there is no try!)

You might find that your interpretation of 'fitting to the wearer's body' was much stricter than others'. Which is good. Nothing better than a well-tailored suit.

Example of how absurd it is to take things out of the CRL because kits don't all go nicely: I ate lots of celebration pancakes because my hotel was next to Ihop and so I busted my 1/2 inch gap limit on the side by about 2 inches even when I suck in, making me not acceptable for EIB. I'm not asking to change the CRL, and I can't stop eating pancakes now, I just don't go for EIB unless I add matching ABS tab to fill the gap. Many don't have to do that extra work on their kit but I'm ok with it :)

Technically, that's not a kit issue- that could have happened in any make of armour! :D Edited by Darth Furious

Ah, but it already does- special clauses abound for FX and AM! :D

(yes, I knew what you actually meant, just an example of how wordage can be tricky)

You are quite correct. As I said, you had the right approach- you didn't think of it as hard. (do or do not, there is no try!)

You might find that your interpretation of 'fitting to the wearer's body' was much stricter than others'. Which is good. Nothing better than a well-tailored suit.

Technically, that's not a kit issue- that could have happened in any make of armour! :D

Ah but it's not giving FX/AM a way out. It's making them more in line with the other armours that already have correct chest plates. FX/AM is an exception in the sense that they are the only ones that need that mod.

It's not the same as saying AP sniper plate doesn't fit so you can rivet it, which is an exception to the rule.

Yeah indeed, it actually gives more work to FX/AM owners. I don't think that using E6000 to hold onto two 1/2 inch points of contact on the AP sniper plate is more work, just something to worry about, when however my T/MC sniper plate didn't touch the shin on both edges at all it wasn't the kit, it was my smaller shins. So we can also say the way you assemble your shin determines how stubborn the AP sniper plate is, you'd have to prefer fitting the shin by trimming its back and leave the front a preferred width and angle. Unfortunately attaching the sniper plate, like the thigh pack, tends to be done last due to its accessory appearance.

If both the fitting and kit specs share the responsibility for not lego'ing nicely, it seems like an opportunistic overreaction to drill a hole in there and say that some kits don't work with glue.

Heatgun and dremel.

Edited by Nicky