Helmet upgrades: wireless amp, external sound pickups, fan, padding and more

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question, but would you be able to wire both mics into one speaker (mono)? Since I only have hearing in one ear it would nice to be able to hear all around me, even if it isn't really directional. As it is, when I run a fan I can't hear anything at all (except the fan).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys. Here's the issue I'm facing with this. I have two TK lids that I am using as templates for getting this prototype built: an eFX and an AP. I had mentioned earlier that I was going to create vacuum formed enclosures for the boards, with a contoured backing to fit into the helmet tube, but I realize that everyone is going to have a different type of lid. I do not own any of the other makers' helmets, so it's going to be next to impossible to create hard plastic enclosures that will fit all. Some tube diameters are larger than others, and the electronic boards are 5x6cm rectangles.

So, what I can offer at this point is soft ribbed covers like I have in my video until I come up with another way to do it (or spend a pile of cash on expanding my TK lid collection :). What I've done works very well and keeps the boards protected. You may need to move some things around in your own lid to accommodate them, if you already have stuff mounted inside the tubes.

I'm finishing the earpads now, which is the last piece of this puzzle! Ordered the wrong kind of foam - DOH! so now I'm waiting for the correct kind to come in. Again, since everyone's lid and internal setup is different, I will leave it up to people to figure a way out to configure the internal positioning. The earpads will be removable (they will attach to the inside of the lid via velcro - which I will supply as part of the kit), and be easily repositionable.

Once the foam is in, I will put in an order to my electronics supplier for the boards, and we're set!

Sent you a PM with an offer. :smiley-sw013:

Sorry for the late responses; work is a menace :)

To answer some recent questions:

Love this idea, and I have a question. The kits that you are making, will they just be for the hearing portion i.e. the two mics, the two earpieces in foam and the amp boards? Basically, I am interested in knowing what is available in the kit.

As it stands now, the kit will include the following:

- 2 Foam ear pads with built-inspeakers

- 2 mono amplifiers

- 2 amp enclosures

- 2 microphones

- 9V battery housing

- on/off switch

- volume control

- wiring (labeled) for easy snap on installation.

- instruction manual

- velcro hook and loop strips

- extra foam (for additional support/extension padding if needed)

To install everything, you might also need electrical tape and a hot glue gun.

Silly question, but would you be able to wire both mics into one speaker (mono)? Since I only have hearing in one ear it would nice to be able to hear all around me, even if it isn't really directional. As it is, when I run a fan I can't hear anything at all (except the fan).

I haven't thought about doing a MONO version, but I guess I could do it. Instead of doing two microphones however, I could do one microphone (which could be installed behind the black brow strip above the nose). Electret mic are powerful and will pick up quite well from one central position.

What is the latest update on these? These look awesome

All materials are now on hand, and I am almost almost almost done! I had two failed shipments of speakers in a row, which has never happened before; both suppliers claim they sent the items out, but no shipments made it here.

I purchased enough foam to stuff a mattress, and the earpads are what I'm finalizing now. I went through a few versions, and now I'm happy with what I've done.

Tony (columbiamo) has graciously offered to lend me his RT lid for test-fitting purposes (i'm still shocked at his offer! WOW!), so now I should be able to do an RT version, or do a "one fits all" with more accuracy.

I am doing too many projects it seems lol. I just finished my Sith Acolyte v3 Helmet prototype which I am super excited about, and I know the kit is taking a bit of time. But it's coming along! It will be worth the wait. I promise!

Hey Mynock I was watching your video again and wondered how much the setup has been field tested. I know the boards are behind foam and the tubing but for us troopers who run hot will the electronics stay protected from some good sweating/moisture

Edited by columbiamo

Okay, here's what the wired setup looks like. I'm trying to figure out the best ways to make all these wires detachable, so that they are truly "plug and play", so I'm still playing around with different connector types and whatnot. For now, this is all wired solid. I'm finishing up the foam ear pads to house the two ear speakers, and will post those pictures shortly.

I was going to enclose the amp boards in project boxes, but that would make it way too clunky. So instead, I will use plastic ribbing like in my video to simply cover them up.

mynock_external_pickup.jpeg

9e9.gif

I have my tubes empty for fan and battery, MICH helmet pads on the sides/ears.

If you provided project boxes for the amp and speakers as is, I think I could easily trim the boxes to fit the tubes nicely insulated, and slip the speakers inside the side pads.

Edited by Nicky

So, um. I decided to properly field test my eFX lid from the video.....

So I drove trough the city wearing it for 45 minutes straight .....in rush hour.

People's reactions were great: everything from thumbs up, to photos, to 911 calls I'm sure lol.

The lenses never fogged up once! The fan was on the whole time. The external audio system had to be turned down or turned off most of the time since the car is simply too noisy for it. Though when I had it on, I was rockin it pretty hard to LMFAO on the radio in that amplified awesomeness, bobbing my lid up and down, and from side to side. It was all pretty sexy, and it knew it.

Edited by Mynock

I would love to have this setup in my Tie Pilot helmet. I can hardly hear anything inside my helmet unless the person talking to me is standing within a foot or less of me.

I need to get my bucket out and see what kind of room I have. I have a padded motorcycle headliner in my bucket that has removable pieces for the cheek/ear area.

But, there is a lot of empty space in the mohawk area of my bucket. Was planning on mounting a wireless mic transmitter there, but I think there may still be room for this setup.

I may need to rearrange where my 2 fans are mounted, but they are just mounted with velcro, so if I need to reposition them, it's not a big deal.

I will be watching the thread for the next update.

I would love to have this setup in my Tie Pilot helmet. I can hardly hear anything inside my helmet unless the person talking to me is standing within a foot or less of me.

I need to get my bucket out and see what kind of room I have. I have a padded motorcycle headliner in my bucket that has removable pieces for the cheek/ear area.

But, there is a lot of empty space in the mohawk area of my bucket. Was planning on mounting a wireless mic transmitter there, but I think there may still be room for this setup.

I may need to rearrange where my 2 fans are mounted, but they are just mounted with velcro, so if I need to reposition them, it's not a big deal.

I will be watching the thread for the next update.

If you guys can snap a few photos, that would give me a good idea what kind of room we are working with.