6'6" and armored? Post here!

Hey troopers,

I'm looking for other seriously tall troopers like me who have put together or bought a suit and looking for their experiences and how they overcame this short world of ours.

I've looked at RT-Mod and it seems like a suit that will fit great with the longer and wider pieces but am looking for some first hand accounts from people that are over 6'4" and have completed their armor so that it doesn't look like they are trying to fit into their kids armor.

I am 6'4" and can tell you that the RT Mod crotch and back pieces are a bit longer than other makers so even if you can't get them to butt up you can still cover the gap with your belt. I believe I had at least an inch of material on both of these pieces that I considered trimming but went a head and just redid the strapping. I believe the RT will fit you and look better than AM. Check with Darth Aloha as well he is an inch taller than me and sports the same armor.

I'm 6"2, but dude, that's tall enough for this post. I have a 34" inseam and the legs were the toughest part. I sport AP armor for my TK and it works pretty well. I just had to mod the thigh and shin parts so there was no gap. My TX Shadow is an older FX kit and it required some mods for my height too. I have a 'little' brother who is 6"6 and he's pretty much only doing a Vader and pulls it off very well.

From the looks and measurements of the RT-Mod suit, it should fix this problem with the length of the legs quite nicely, I think I have settled on RT, just a few details to look at. I thought about vader, but he is one thats kinda hard to pull off, imagine showing up at a show as Vader....and someone else does as well.... at least as a trooper, there can be multiples!

I also recommend RT-Mod. I'm 6'3" and if anything my shins/thighs are just a little bit long. I feel like they fit just fine, but it was pointed out to my by my GML when he was looking at my submission pictures - he thought the thighs were long. If anything, the top of my shins dig into the top of my foot a bit, but it's not a big deal - the more I troop the more I will adjust if I feel it is necessary. I think most of us RT-Mod TKs have pictures of our build/final fittings in our build thread, so maybe those might be helpful to look at for visual reference.

Edited by boomshakra

Tell ya what, I'm 6'5" and when I first started I was told I "was too big to be a stormtrooper" (a line which I hear a lot) so I did a sandtrooper armor. I bought an fx armor kit from a friend who was moving and leaving the 501st. I had to change the fittings around and add a few shims here and there(thighs and biceps) I love it, the fx helmet looks best an a big guy proportionally, and I get the pauldron. All I can say is keep trooping

Thanks Ben! It's funny when the line is "Aren't you a little big for a stormtrooper?" since in the movie it's the other way around! Hey, if Luke can be small, why can't we be big.. Maybe we make instead of Hero or Stunt, but Juggernaut style.

I'd love it, juggertrooper! It's funny when a trooper is taller then vader :) I've got the sandtrooper which helps, cause you get to carry huge guns that make you seem small, but I do hear the "to tall" line a few times per troop it seems.

• 2 months later...

So. Yeah.

As it stands now AM armor is better suited for the wider trooper than the taller trooper. It also doesn't look as umm... accurate as RT-MOD.

Being taller than vader is a fact of life for me... which is why I need to get a vader going... you can see in the photos below that I'm actually standing a step or so behind one of the pac501 vaders (I hate that buttwipe gecko)

Here's me and our other vader. I'm still taller even with his hlemet etc.

Here are my stats:

• 6'5"
  • 235 lbs
  • 38-40" waist depending on the time of year
  • 44" chest
  • 33" inseam (I'm all torso)

At a 40" waist I am at the upper limit of the ab/kidney gaps. If I gained a few pounds they won't close at all and I would need to shim

The RT ab plate is longer than any other ab I've seen. That's what sold me on RT more than anything.

My legs aren't super long but I still need the longer RT shins.

There are tons of troopers who are long legged but thin of torso (like Daetrin our founder) who can wear something screen derived like ATA but they need RT shins to reduce the large expanses of black undersuit showing at the knees. I hear that TM also makes longer shins and I'm dying to see a set because I'm quite sure they look great.

Here are the max measurements for parts according to Rob of RT-MOD (circumference):

• Thigh - 27"

• Calf - 17"

• Bicep - 16.5"

• Forearm - 13.5"

• Abdomen - 42"

Rob can also make custom parts. He had me take a few measurements of my legs that involved a Captain Morgan-esque pose. Luckily I didn't need to have him do any special lengths in anything.

Most folks only real complaint about RT (outside of the long lead time) is the price. To reduce cost I would suggest buying an untrimmed kit from him because mostly you're paying him for his time to trim the thing. Unless you're in a rush because Halloween is approaching :)

The larger helmet myth is perpetuated largely by us here on FISD. Unless you're head is really really huge or you have buddy holly glasses I contest that you can build any screen derived helmet to fit you. An ATA helmet looks totally fine on me in my RT-MOD kit (I can't find that photo anywhere but I'll take one the next time I'm on Oahu with the rest of the outpost.)

If you can get away with it... go ATA or something and buy longer shins. If you drink as much beer as I do stick with RT.

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by Sly11
Image links all broken so removed Sly11 2021

On 9/25/2012 at 8:30 AM, SuperTrooper said:

Eric, you and Vader need to trade costumes.

This is what happens when they let me wear Vader. In a fit of irony Pedobear has a restraining order out on Vader thanks to me.

Edited by Sly11
Image links all broken so removed Sly11 2021

On 9/25/2012 at 8:07 AM, Silent said:

hmmm the waist may give me problems, I run a 46-48, how hard is it to shim?

I've never had to do it but people usually use white plastic for-sale signs to extend their sides. Doesn't seem too difficult.

SCTrooper asked me to measure my RT shins

---------

Mine are 15 5/8" (39.687 cm) long of the front side of the shin.

How long are your ATA, TE2, TM or AP?

Also... If Paul is reading this... How long are the XL TM shins?

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The ATA are 14.5" (36.83 cm). I read somewhere on here that TM XL shins are 2 inches longer than standard shins, not sure if it's true, but it would be great.

h4BR61f.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021