Has anyone cut the ab plate from the crotch for mobility?

Hello all, I know that traditionally the crotch plate and the ab plate have been one happy combo. But I know from my FX armor that not having a joint there makes the armor a pain to sit in or do any thing really other than stand straight. Now this could be because the FX also had a combo kidney/butt.

I was wondering if anyone had cut the crotch from the ab since the belt will cover it, for increased mobility?

Or would that disqualify the armor for 501st enrollment?

I realize that plastic armor is not going to bend, but I have to wonder if there is anything that can be done, and still have it be stormie armor and not a jointed up mess.

Hello all, I know that traditionally the crotch plate and the ab plate have been one happy combo. But I know from my FX armor that not having a joint there makes the armor a pain to sit in or do any thing really other than stand straight. Now this could be because the FX also had a combo kidney/butt.

I was wondering if anyone had cut the crotch from the ab since the belt will cover it, for increased mobility?

There are members that have done this to their TK to increased mobility (bending over/setting). Some like it, some stay with the AB and crotch one piece...Just make sure you cover the split with the belt well.

Or would that disqualify the armor for 501st enrollment?

No this would stop you from getting your TK#

Just like I said above, as long as the belt covers it and you cannot see the split from the AB and crotch.

LOL ok EDIT: I realize that thick ABS FX armor is not going to bend! :P

I actually am upgrading my armor, I wanted to grab one of yours TM but I can't seem to source one. From what I have seen and read here you truely are the Trooper Master. Pictures of your armor is what got me to finaly decide I needed to ditch the FX.

I am probably going to get RS Props PVC armor, which I understand is pretty flexible, but I was thinking of ways to put my old FX set to use. I may just try to sell it once I get the RS suit ready.

I do not want to cut the RS suit as that would destroy its whole purpose of screen accuracy.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I cut mine's for the fact that the original ab plate is too long for me.

Me too. Though if I were going to do it again, I probably wouldn't.

When you ditch the FX you can turn it into a death trooper or something fun :D

:D I almost took a welding torch to the chest to simulate a blasted tk one halloween, I had gotten so disgusted with it, but I could not bring myself to do it!

I am sure someone out there would like to get a good starter armor set for cheapish, and it will help offset the expensive RS suit.

My hands are going to be trembling working on that thing!

Depends if I were to make another TK and what kind of armor it is... I may have to cut the part off again. I'm just too short and if I leave it the way it is, the chest plate would cover up the ab buttons but that's just me.

YMMV, but be careful. You can also experience "happy trooper" if the front isn't very secure, and it looks silly to see your code floating up and out, or bending back in. While some enjoy this, it seems very hit and miss and you can really wreck the look of your suit.

As for flexing, well unless you live in the UK the TM flexy plastic is *very* expensive - 2 to 3 times as much as other armor makes, so if you can afford it good on you :)