Rob's ANH real Sterling build ( pic heavy )

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on my counter bracket and thought I'd share a silly little tip that I use when setting a number on the counter.

When you remove the plastic housing there is a small hole underneath in the black reset button

002uqvi.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-23

Ā 

Cut a small piece of plastic so that it fits flush in the hole and refit the plastic housing. The button cannot be pushed and your number will not be re-set to zero by accident.

003xtt.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-23

Ā 

I should have the counter bracket finished and fixed to the scope rail in a couple of days.

I am almost done with scope rail and counter bracket all in one combo. I thought I'd try something a bit different. I thought about gluing the counter to the Sterling to be as accurate as I could be but I just can't bring myself to do it. I would be forever worried about the counter falling off. I know that would be even more accurate but I like my counter :D

I wanted to use a bracket that was as hidden as it could be so I didn't want the extra thickness on the rail where the counter bracket is fixed to the scope bolts. I made a simple bracket that sits inside the Hengstler so it can sit as close to the barrel as possable.

002fzv.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-25

003fca.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-25

Ā 

My job tomorrow will be to very carefully butt weld the counter bracket to the scope rail. It took some fine measuring to make sure that the counter will sit in the right place as it will not be adjustable but I think it will be worth it so you don't see the metal of the bracket under the scope on the rail.

Ā 

004yvl.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-25

Ā 

For the counter bracket I used 3mm flat bar so I had an extra 1mm to tap the thread for a more secure fixing. I then filed down 1mm off the top of the bracket so it will fit flush to scope rail when welded.

looks like a great solution for a bracket! make sure you put it close to the magwell... not too far back!

Ā 

the hengstler also can have a small run of tape to keep the wheel platen from vibrating and having a number slip.

and I usually set the hengstler with a small screw

Thanks for the interest guys. Vern, I had a look at lots of screen shots and decided to go for the same sort of position as the trooper on the right. The bracket is welded now. I'll give it a clean up and take a pic of the test fit tonight :)

swnh0360.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

Well I'm all done and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Here is the test fit before I start painting. Please let me know what you think.

Ā 

006csn.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

Ā 

007hvm.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

Ā 

008hvd.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

Ā 

010bg.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

Ā 

And here is the shot that makes the welding worth it for me. No thick part of the rail under the scope YAY!

Ā 

012jhw.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-26

:D Trust me. There was no way I was going to make a 7th rail. It's welded and carefully ground down. Thanks for the kind words Andy. Much appreciated :duim:

Oh no dont get me wrong. I love the MR plaques. I have them on all my other props from pastorjedi. That large Sterling one that you have is fantastic. I just done something a bit different with the decals until I have the time to order a proper one from pastor. Where did you get your one from may I ask?