Rob's ANH real Sterling build ( pic heavy )

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like your scope rail sits too high compared to Luke's blaster. I am no expert on these but I think the rail should be as low as possible. It looks as though the gap under the rail is caused by the scope mounting bolts and not the bend at the front of the rail?

LukeE-11.jpg

Really nice curve of the rail against the receiver & 2mm rail gets my vote too!

Ā 

Lovely neat job, Rob - looks great!

Ā 

Do you have a particular screen-used variant that you're wanting to recreate? Like Paul Troopermaster says, in some scenes Luke's had a "droopy" rail & at one point Han had his power cylinders on backwards! lol

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Thank you for the compliments everyone. I'm glad you like it so far.

Paul, I'm no expert either but I think that Lukes scope rail was different to most others seen on screen. Can some of you blaster experts tell me if that is the case? The rail only sits 7mm away from the barrel so I don't think that is too high. At least, I hope not.

Ā 

Andy, I'm not really replicating any particular on screen blaster. I'm trying to take the best parts that I can see from each blaster. I want it to be more useable. I suppose that if I wanted to really SA I would have to glue on the Hengstler and I don't want to do that. I want the blaster to look good close up. If that makes sense.

I suppose that if I wanted to really SA I would have to glue on the Hengstler

Ā 

Actually to be REALLY SA you could glue the Hengstler on with hot glue & then knock it off leaving just the glue marks on the receiver & scope since that's what happened most of them during filming! lol The heroes are only seen with a Hengstler in the publicity shots & that's of a tunisian version.

Ā 

The Sterlings were taken back by Bapty in the period during between ANH & ESB & (since proppies & theatres get rid of everything after productions) the rails will have been remade for ESB so they're not useful for recreating ANH props. I believe the Tunisian non-firing versions all had parallel rails whereas most of the Death Star Sterlings had the less attractive (in my opinion) "curving down" rail. However here's a shot of Luke in the trash compactor with a very parallel, right-angle at the front rail & that's enough justification for me to use the shape I prefer :)

Ā 

(I ended up with a 5mm gap between the top of the receiver & the bottom of the rail.)

Ā 

StarWarsEpisodeIVANewHope19771080pcrop.jpg

Notice how there's no (or very very small) screws holding the scope onto the rail on Luke's blaster?

Ā 

Yeah, I imagine they used the original M38 scope mountings screws. The head diameter is 7mm, and 2mm in height. From the head to the end of the screw the measurement is 8mm & the thread is 10BA. I don't have any originals - Marv gave me those measurements and this photo. I've machined down slightly larger-headed brass 2BA screws to match

Ā 

Mounting20Screws.jpg

Ā 

The original M19 mounting screws are similar dimensions but hexagonal.

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

800pxrefanh4982751.jpg

Ā 

Looking at this blaster it looks like the rail is very low and is being pushed upwards by the scope bolts like on Luke's blaster. I really don't know if they were all like that or not, but I will be doing mine this way.

Edited by troopermaster

800pxrefanh4982751.jpg

Ā 

Looking at this blaster it looks like the rail is very low and is being pushed upwards by the scope bolts like on Luke's blaster. I really don't know if they were all like that or not, but I will be doing mine this way.

It seems he has the M19 scope, with the larger screws. So maybe only the E-11's with M19 scopes bulged like that?

But the one above (on the right) has the rail bent and fixed to the back of the receiver and not into the rear sight. There seems to be at least two different ways to attach these as far as I can see.

Edited by troopermaster

But the one above (on the right) has the rail bent and fixed to the back of the receiver and not into the rear sight. There seems to be at least two different ways to attach these as far as I can see.

Agreed. But the height of the scope rail (distance of air between receiver and rail) looks pretty much the same as the others, yet it even looks to be some free space under the screw for the forward foot of the scope.

Actually to be REALLY SA you could glue the Hengstler on with hot glue & then knock it off leaving just the glue marks on the receiver & scope since that's what happened most of them during filming! lol The heroes are only seen with a Hengstler in the publicity shots & that's of a tunisian version.

Ā 

The Sterlings were taken back by Bapty in the period during between ANH & ESB & (since proppies & theatres get rid of everything after productions) the rails will have been remade for ESB so they're not useful for recreating ANH props. I believe the Tunisian non-firing versions all had parallel rails whereas most of the Death Star Sterlings had the less attractive (in my opinion) "curving down" rail. However here's a shot of Luke in the trash compactor with a very parallel, right-angle at the front rail & that's enough justification for me to use the shape I prefer :)

Ā 

(I ended up with a 5mm gap between the top of the receiver & the bottom of the rail.)

Ā 

StarWarsEpisodeIVANewHope19771080pcrop.jpg

Ā 

Is it me or does Mark Hammel E11 is different than the one he used earlier on? Look at post # at the Scope and look at the E11 Scope here?

Bloody hell this all gets confusing! Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad there are people here that know a LOT more than me. Thanks Andy for the info about the differences between the rails of ANH and Empire blasters. I certainly did not know that. I have fixed down my rail and the gap is 6mm not 7mm. The rail sits on top of the little flip down sight. If I were to flip the sight back and have the rail sit on the sight housing itself then I would have a gap of 3mm between the rail and the barrel. Which to me looks wrong.

Ā 

005thp.jpg

By bsac15 at 2012-06-04